Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New piggies are fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well yes that as well. I like guinea lynx because the people there are straightforward, but others think that they are too judgemental. So, I don't think fleur would like it because people would probably call her stupid over there too. lol.

Guinea pig guy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
roosterboy

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig guy said:
Well guys, you never really gave me the answer to why your against breeding.Now lets say that some one did adopt a few pigs from an animal shelter and after they did that shelter never got anymore pigs again.How would you guys feel if they didn't want to get more at a pet shop and they didn't have a guinea pig shelter around there area and instead bred their piggies they got from the shelter and kept the babies themselves,that way they have more babies that they get to keep and didn't have to buy them from a pet shop.Now how do you guys feel about breeding if the owner were to keep them him or her self?
i know im not one of the people that are real objective on this topic but what they aren''t against breeding per say. I think they just dont like the way they are treated. I think they just want people to stop breeding because there are alot of piggies out there allready. Personally i think that includes pet store piggies but they dont like the mainstream breeders in it only for money. Im sure they wouldnt mind if the breeder kept the pig them selves. Then again most owners Dont keep them for themselves. Everyone is just trying to tell you their strong oppinions and what they think is better for the piggies in general. wow i think im starting to get this. if any of the anti petstore people disagree with this could you please tell me why.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
so breeding is always wrong then?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Do you think its wrong? There will ALWAYS be guinea pigs at a shelter as long as pet stores keep on selling them.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
personally just breeding isnt wrong. the piggie shops or what ever they are called are wrong.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Do you think that we can change your opinions on breeding?

People breed so that they can have more guinea pigs. If you want more then get more from a rescue/shelter. Whats the point of breeding? Not only do you put the sows life in danger but you don't sve a piggies life (from the rescue)

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
but if no one every breeded in 10 years there would be no piggies. reproduction is exxential for life they say so in biology class. its just the way they handle the pigs.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I think the point people are trying to make is that at this time it would be great to see a reduction in the amount of breeding, especially “puppy mill” type breeding of ALL overpopulated domestic/pet type animals.

At this time there are too many Guinea Pigs ( and other animals) in shelters, neglectful homes, etc.
All of the non-kill shelters I know of, for any breed of animal, are full. This means that there are more people trying to get rid of their animals then there are people willing to take in an animal. In a situation like this breeding more doesn’t make sense.

We don’t have to worry about “if no one every breeded in 10 years there would be no piggies”. There is no way that everyone would ever stop breeding and accidentally wipe out Guinea Pigs.

The people here are just trying to get to as many people as possible to educate them. Yes, sometimes it gets over zealous, even rude and condescending at times. However, that is just their passion on the subject coming through.

Do I think anyone should buy a Guinea Pig from a pet shop? IMO, only as a last resort. Only a few weeks ago I helped a girl in my area locate a Guinea Pig to adopt. She had tried everything she could think of and couldn’t find a pig to rescue. She was about to buy from a pet shop but I managed to find her a young neutered pig available through a local Veterinarian instead. Last I heard the rescued piggie is working out great.

Sometimes it takes work, and an open mind. If it is possible to rescue please do so. If you don’t find “the pig” you want then be patient and keep trying. No one *needs* a Guinea Pig right away. Buying through a pet shop should be reserved as a last resort when all other routes have been exhausted. Breeding, even if you plan to keep them all yourself, is simply a bad idea until all of the Guinea Pig shelters are emptied and out of “business”.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Voodoojoint, you always seem to write the best stuff! I agree with everything you said

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
ITA. Why don't you wait ten years and if there are absolutely NO animals for adoption because there is no animal overpopulation (which will never happen if people breed) and figure out what we do? For now, let's find homes for the already bred and abandoned.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree, that's just not an argument right now. It's not going to happen overnight. If it ever does happen that there are no pet shops selling, rescues are empty, etc. then there will be a responsible breeder. See www.cavyspirit.com/responsiblebreeder.htm.

However, until we get there, it's not even an issue.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pig Guy, I was reading on another forum (I am a member) that a lady that lives in NJ is willing to drive to DE, NY, and PA by car to find a home for her two guinea pigs.
Are you interested in more piggies?

(broken link removed)
Sorry if the link doesn't work. You might have to be a member to veiw it.... Tell me if the link doesn't work. I will copy and paste the message she posted.

Guinea pig guy

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Your welcome!
Ya its cool site and forum!!!

Access

Cavy Slave
fleur said:
Someone has a different view on things and you all attack them by being really nasty .I have decided that I dont really like this site any more or most of the people on it.And if asked by some one about sites on the net for guinea pigs.I sure as hell wont be telling anybody about this one. Some people on here need to learn respect for other peopls opnions
You are perfectly free to go somewhere else, no one is forcing you to post here.

Some people on here need to learn to respect the pigs themselves, opinions are secondary. Anyone can recover from 'hurt feelings', whereas a pig can't recover from being dead.

IMO breeding is truly evil, recently there was a fair in town and they had the show pigs on display. Prizes / awards were upwards of $1000. or more. Pigs kept in wire-bottom cages, 1 foot by 9 inches, with no bedding, no environmental control and no stimulation. Pellets and water, but no hay or veggies. The breeders are aiming for the 'perfect' pig, pure in breed and emphasizing the features of that specific breed (like a coronet's whirl above the head). Some of the pigs were so inbred that they had genetic defects -- no hair, albino, etc. Pigs that do not meet the 'perfect' or desired spec for that breed go to the pet stores or get given away free to anyone who will take them. And honestly these are the lucky ones -- at least they have a chance of finding a loving home (in theory they could get bought at the pet store, abandoned, and then adopted by someone who cares). The 'show pigs' that are the pride and joy of these breeders live a dismal life indeed.

Guinea pig guy

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Access was quoting fleur which probably means they were talking to fleur.

Status
Not open for further replies.