Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New piggies are fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I agree with everyone about the shelter things, and calling the humane society. But please, why do we have to attack these people from BOLD,ITALIC, and colored YELLING words? I don't think they deserve that. You could have been nicer, no TROLL calling, or anything else.
Please adopt, I think it is much better than buying from stores. Spread the news about stores! Sooner or later(much in the future) they will stop breeding guinea pigs(especially), or stop buying them from breeders and that will stop the abuse. Next time I am able to get more guinea pigs, I am definately adopting. I've gotton all my pigs from people who have accidentally bred, or just friends giving them to me. I did NOT know about the shelters, so no one yell at me either!
There, I stated my opinion. I think this thread is getting out of hand!

To Guinea Pig Guy...I don't just call myself a rescuer because I got a pig from a rescue. I work with the rescue. We give up our time to raise money so we can take care of these pigs that others have cast aside. I see the pigs we have that no one will adopt because everyone wants the cute babies in the stores. I see the sick pigs that have to be hand fed every meal. I see the pigs that need medication on a daily basis. I see the pain of everyone involved when we can no longer take in any more because there is not enough money. Do we wish we could save everyone? Of course. But the truth is...we can't. But by chosing to adopt from a shelter or rescue, you are helping us help them.

well katie the reason i think my adopted pig brought something home is because duke was perfectly healthy until i got my new piggy. and would you please try to understand that i get why everyone wants to adopt. and i know that bonded pairs count but they are not what i am looking for at the moment. also im not looking for a female. so that does infact bring the count down. as for driving i CAN NOT control where my mom will or will not drive to. its out of my control. so goin out of stat isnt an option. and i really didnt to mean to make this thread be a boxing ring. it was just an innocent question but you all tried to make me feel evil. i know buying probably isnt the best choice. but sometimes the "right" choice isnt the right choice for you. im sorry for all the people who got upset and rubie is right its gettiing out of hand.. try to be civiilized

That's great DaCourt, I think you are a wonderful person doing this!

Thank you, Ruby, but I really didn't want a pat on the back. I was just trying to let him know that I see what goes on behind the scenes. I know people who spend all their time helping these poor animals. My first pig came from Petco. Then I started to research piggies and found the rescues I currently work with. Then I adopted my second one from them. Once someone told me about the pet stores, I heard what they were saying, and they have never been an option since.

personally i think you guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion. where in the tittle of this thread does it say anything about adoption or purchasing piggies?

DaCourt said:
In my opinion, you are wrong. Where is mncavylover when I need him.
Aww, DaCaourt, I feel loved! (psst--I'm a girl, but that's ok.)
Oh, I see now that you know. Sorry I'm late!

Piglet said:
We neeeeeeeeed you
Thanks Piglet! I'm here now.

Guinea pig guy said:
You can call your self a rescuer by saving piggies from shelters and pet shops.
Actually, you can't. You're contributing to the money that goes to helping breed more cavies. You're just continuing the cycle.

dagwellismypiggy said:
so everything about petstores is bad? then where do you buy your supplies?
From feed stores, pet supply stores that sell no live animals, or online. There are multiple options available, and you might just find that they are cheaper as well! =)

You are half right. You are a customer when you buy a guinea pig from a pet shop, not a rescuer. As a rescuer, I am insulted that you would lump yourself in my category. I got upset because you said shelter pets and rescued pets are defective and unlovable, so you prefer buying them at pet stores that breed their own in their back room, not even in their homes.

Who watches over them at night or when the store is closed? Anything can happen.

Guinea pig guy said:
You can call your self a rescuer by saving piggies from shelters and pet shops.

That's a very good point, rabbitsncavyluv. I didn't think of their overnight stays--thanks for enlightening me!

Yes, sometimes the air conditioner or heater can break down. That's happened at a Petco. Some of the animals died (the reptile tanks were temperature set or something like that). The hamsters and rats died due to the heat.

What is the sow gives birth when no one is around and something goes wrong. If they only have one or two breeding pairs, they could be imbreed or have something genetically wrong with them, that may show up later on.

And if they are in the backroom, what kind of attention are they getting or can they get? Animals in your home need to be in a medium traffic area so they can be part of the family. The pet store is a bad place for any animal. It's noisy and diseases are passed easily.

Wow, that opens up a whole new series of arguments. Thanks a whole bunch, I never would have thought of that on my own! That's so awful.

Buying from a petstore is rescuing? Ludicruous. It's pure selfishness. You are simply not considering the long-term consequences of your actions.

By the same logic, why don't you buy a bunch of drugs from your local neighborhood drug dealer and then flush those drugs down the toilet. That way, those drugs won't get into the hands of users. Uh-yup!

Econonics is NOT a static system. It is fluid.

What's going to happen in reality? The dealer is going to buy more drugs from his supplier, sell some to you to flush down the toilet, and sell the same amount to users he did before. With the extra profit he made off you, he might even be able to expand to dealing on more corners than he did before.

Also, claiming "I am a girl" online does not make you a girl irl.

"Also, claiming "I am a girl" online does not make you a girl irl."

Huh? I know that there are frauds, but I don't think that we are. If you don't believe me, you can see my picture. =)

A new page has just been added to cavy spirit: www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm. Please read!

And my mom wants me to work at Petco.

There are pros and cons to every choice we make. Personally, I'd rather volunteer at an animal shelter.

dagwellismypigy said:
well katie the reason i think my adopted pig brought something home is because duke was perfectly healthy until i got my new piggy. and would you please try to understand that i get why everyone wants to adopt. and i know that bonded pairs count but they are not what i am looking for at the moment. also im not looking for a female. so that does infact bring the count down. aso that does infact bring the count down.so goin out of stat isnt an option. and i really didnt to mean to make this thread be a boxing ring. it was just an innocent question but you all tried to make me feel evil. i know buying probably isnt the best choice. but sometimes the "right" choice isnt the right choice for you. im sorry for all the people who got upset and rubie is right its gettiing out of hand.. try to be civiilized
well katie the reason i think my adopted pig brought something home is because duke was perfectly healthy until i got my new piggy
And did your new piggy also die?

and i know that bonded pairs count but they are not what i am looking for at the moment.
You don't HAVE TO GET A BONDED PAIR!

also im not looking for a female
There are many "single" boars. I counted 50.

so that does infact bring the count down.
Of homeless cavies? No. and considering that one rescue spays their sows, I believe, you could also adopt a single sow.

so that does infact bring the count down.
Your 14 right? If your mom knows you truely want to adopt, I'm sure you could arrange something with a rescue, if you are a good candidate.

i know buying probably isnt the best choice
That's why, IMHO I think you should not get another cavy. It's better to not get one at all then to get one from a pet store.

Typically the frauds are the ones that insist "I am a girl!" over and over again. IMO it doesn't really matter, everything can in theory be faked, the only way to be certain would be to meet someone irl and that's not something that should happen (that's how these online child abductions happen). You just live with the uncertainty, and learn to accept it. The same way it's hard to tell with these multiple petshop threads who's a troll and who earnestly believes what they are arguing? If you know the facts about petstores, you try to educate people who don't, but in the end who knows if it's an earnest person you are talking to or just a troll trying to push all your buttons and get a rise out of you.

RubyPiggie2 said:
. But please, why do we have to attack these people from BOLD,ITALIC, and colored YELLING words? I don't think they deserve that. You could have been nicer, no TROLL calling, or anything else.
Because I want to get my point across, and if I was talking to them in person that's how I'd sound.

I agree, it's so hard to tell. Well, I know I'm real! But, of course, you can think what you like. =)

I think we can just try and help out, and if they're trolls maybe someone else learned something from it. That's all we can do.

I told my mom that all I want to do is volunteer and now she's helping me look for a place.

Status
Not open for further replies.