Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New piggies are fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Access

Cavy Slave
I'm just speaking in general terms. I'm sure there's other good sites out there too, in the end you have to find the place that works for you. Just remember, pigs have to come first. Yes it can be painful or upsetting to make the right decisions in life, but when you have a pet, your ultimate responsibility is to that pet and their welfare. No one else is going to care for him except you. Feelings, yes those are important too, but they're secondary to the pet's welfare. Think of it like being a Mom or Dad, no matter what, you've got to do what is right for your kid. Even if it makes you unhappy or upset. If they say it's OK to buy from a pet store, to try to breed the perfect pig, then 'show' that pig in the conditions I described above, it's not a good site. But anyone can realise that on their own.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
One of the pigs I had was almost all white. He had one brown spot over his ear. The story goes that someone tried to dump him at Petco. They wouldent take him, so his owner just left him there. He was running around the store for three days before someone cought him.

The Petco employees named him Butthead because he beat up all their little boy pigs. My friend's dad went to Petco to buy rat food, and they gave him Butthead for free. I was told that he was probably dumped because of his coloring. He is not completly white, so they couldent show him.I have a pic of him posted in my gallery if you want to see.

I thought of showing my pigs, but only for fun. And only if I could do it with the pigs I already have. I cant do it with them So that ened my showing career before it even started.

Access

Cavy Slave
That's a great story, the pig is very lucky to get someone like you.

I found my guy at work, he must have been abandoned. In the lab one guy thought he saw a rat, and there were other signs like chewed wires and such. So they called the exterminator who came with poison gas and traps, but he could not find anything. Once more the same exterminator came but left not finding anything. Finally we found him on our own, but there was no way we could catch him as the lab has lots of nooks and crannies he would hide in (and he was extremely fast). I remember telling people just to leave him alone and let me handle it, once I figured out the type of animal he was I found a site that said they loved carrots, so I used a carrot on a string to lure him out and get him into a cage, took him home. He tends to be very shy around new people, but once he gets used to someone, he's friendly. Very hyper and fast, even though he must be at least a year old.

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
DUDE, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!!! YOU DO NOT"RESCUE" ANY PET SHOP PIGS!!! you fuel the industry!!! for evey one you buy, you kill at least that many from the shelter, who really need homes, and u could have adopted(you said that there were no shelters in delaware, i did a search, and came up with dozens) and, as if that alone weren't enough, you kill many more from the breeing program. if they have onm, u said u saw the breeding stock, how do u know they weren't lying? Most places would say that, not admit that they get there pigs from the guinea pig mill(like puppy mill) even if that is true, (which it probably isn't), you still fuel the industry and killed about ten pig directly and helped to kill millions more indirectly by keeping the industry going. Also, there are plenty of pups at shelters, heck they get pregnant females in all the time, and the animals at the shelter are more likely to be healthy, having gotten appropriate vet care, which pet store animals don't get and are often killed if they need it.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Who are you yelling at?

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I don't mean to sound rude, or anythign like that but Access.... what do you mean you work at a "lab"? What kind?

leeannm81

Cavy Slave
I would like to say that I think when Guinea Pig Guy refers to "breeding" he's not referring to breeding as a business. I think he's just referring to guinea pigs procreating on their own or naturally. I think that most people who are members of this forum refer to "breeding" as a business, and not just the natural breeding of animals. Does this make sense? or help clear anything up? If not, I'm sorry and *I'll keep my big mouth shut* :).

ilovebabe

Cavy Slave
Right On Guinea pig guy! Thats What I Do I Take Them In One They Are Young I Think Its Better That way

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
ilovebabe, aren't you the one who stomped(hypthetically, not literally, hah) out of your last post about how you weren't going to take your unhealthy boar to the vet, and were planning on breeding him with your sow, who were both from pet shops, you had no idea what there genetics were, whatsoever, and then blamed everyone for being so 'mean' and told us all that you were leaving this site? Wow, good job at leaving.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Ilovebabe, is your sow the young one?? I hope you don't plan on putting her together with a boar when she's only a couple of months old.

Just something I wanted to know, seeing how you haven't left after all.

leeannm81

Cavy Slave
Yeah!? I thought Ilovebabe had left? why dissapoint us by coming back?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hi Ilovebabe, still waiting to put them together? Long time no see....

Banana

Cavy Slave
It seems to me after reading the whole site that not only does guinea pig guy thing "new piggies are fun" but trolling is too. I don't believe that you are just putting forward a different opinion. If you were you would accept what people are saying and just agree to disagree. I feel you are trying to upset the people on this site for no reason. However the great thing you have done is shown everyone what knowledgeable (sp?), passionate people we have on this site, so thank you for that.I love babe, if you are truly 12, get your mum or dad on this site. If you love your pigs as much as you say you do you would care about them. If you are not willing to listen to peoples adbvise dont bother coming on forums, any of them, i doubt there will be any that condone what you believe is ok, i know of three at least that wont.

Guinea pig guy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
There is no need for rude remarks.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
We're not actually trying to stir things up banana. I think you should re read the whole forum again. lol

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
i agree with ya piglet.

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig guy said:
Well guys, you never really gave me the answer to why your against breeding.Now lets say that some one did adopt a few pigs from an animal shelter and after they did that shelter never got anymore pigs again.How would you guys feel if they didn't want to get more at a pet shop and they didn't have a guinea pig shelter around there area and instead bred their piggies they got from the shelter and kept the babies themselves,that way they have more babies that they get to keep and didn't have to buy them from a pet shop.Now how do you guys feel about breeding if the owner were to keep them him or her self?
This one's a no-brainer. If you bred two pigs, had four pups, you got six pigs. Instead of creating four more, adopt four from a rescue or shelter, and voila, you're opened up four spots for other pigs to be saved.

We had four pigs, one pair of sows and two singleton boars. We could have bread for two more sows, but instead we adopted a spayed sow and another sow a few months later (got her spayed, too), neutered the other singletron boar, and like magic, we have two trios, everyone's happy, and the rescue in Gainesville (310 miles away!) was happy to open up their services for two new pigs.

Now this thread wasn't getting any new replies for a while and I'd like to keep it that way.

There is no excuse for breeding. Too bad GP Guy, I've responded too, and have very little patience for trolls, stupidity or stubborn folks who just don't get it. Ask anyone who's tried my patience.

Ilovebabe - real smart move breeding a sick boar to your sow. Between the no-vet polcy and your breeding, you just might kill both. Nice jorb!

Fleur - Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

DaCourt, mncavylover - I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. If these people think it's mean here, they haven't seen Guinea Lynx.

Guinea pig guy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Hm. I posted your question and some other text you posted.

Of course I was talking about you, silly!

I don't think I was rude at all. Several people gave you a plethora of powerful reasons not to breed guinea pigs, or to buy from petstores. You have chosen to ignore it. Furthmore, I take you head-on and directly answer your question. t wasn't a dumb question, but you issued the challenge that someone answers your question. And I responded.

I firmly believe you are a troll or simply too thick-headed to ever get it.

Lastly, I do not feel the need to sugar-coat my posts with a lot of LOL's and smilies. I tell you how I feel in as few words as possible. If you don't like it, learn to love it. I'm not changing to suit your needs.

And if you listen, I am full of information like most posters here and can be nice and sweet. But after reading this thread, a nice-guy approach just didn't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.