Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petland

LovesCavies

Cavy Slave
I may get jumped on for this but here goes

Petland where I live teams up with the SPCA and adopts out unwanted GPs and rabbits, they also have a policy where they will take back the animals they sold if the owners can no longer care for them. I adopted an adult rabbit there . But I am also way up north and the GP population is not nearly so high . The SPCA here hardly ever has piggies. And when they do they don't stay long.

Nice to know that yours does. The one around here does not. The one around here also sells cats, dogs, ferrets (which are a huge problem in michigan) bunnies, pigs, birds, and anything else you can think of.

Wow that is sad. I think pet stores should be more responsible. I would love to be able to rescue a couple more GPs but they are really not a problem here. I have searched petfinder lots but can never find anyclose enough.It sad that there is so many ferrets there. There are never any here.

It is sad. Within a 50 mile radius of my house there are proably close to 200 ferrets that are waiting around in resuces. Sadly many people do not know to look there for them first and buy them at the pet store. Not only do they have to pay an outrageous price (around $120 each) but then they are just goingt o be replaced with two more. If the people would go to the rescues they could get a pair for $70. It is just sad.

That is crazy . They sell Ferrets up here for $250 and up. So sad .

Petland here is awful for the most part. The mix male/female gp's together; they dont give them hay and often have them in fish tank looking pens with no hidey houses....the list goes on and on.

Petland where I live teams up with the SPCA and adopts out unwanted GPs and rabbits, they also have a policy where they will take back the animals they sold if the owners can no longer care for them.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Does this Petland only have the SPCA adoptables in their store? Or do they have the SPCA adoptables plus their own "stock" for sale in their store? If it's the former, then I think that's laudable, but it seems that the rest of their chain still sells animals, which isn't cause for celebration. And if it's the latter, then I think it's a shame.

I think that when the SPCA hosts adoptions at stores that sell animals, they send a very mixed message. They are pushing adoption in a place that contributes to the overpopulation of animals. I think that contradiction dilutes their messages to adopt rather than buy or breed.

They are kept in big viewing cages With hay and hidey and they are very clean and are kept seperately. I wasn't celebrating anything. I think the SPCA does it because it is an easy way to promote the animals, alot of people up here don't even think about adopting from the SPCA because overpopulation of GPs isn't a big issue here. So they go to the pet store and either buy or adopt one. When I was there the only rabbits were SPCA ones. But I think sometimes they do sell there own which is sad when they could just keep SPCA animals and adopt them out.

Susan9608 said:
I think that when the SPCA hosts adoptions at stores that sell animals, they send a very mixed message. They are pushing adoption in a place that contributes to the overpopulation of animals. I think that contradiction dilutes their messages to adopt rather than buy or breed.

This is very true .

We bought a little pup from Petland, and because of one of our agressive dogs, we had to return him. They also kept like 20% of the money.

Stupid Petland.

binas_cavys said:
We bought a little pup from Petland, and because of one of our agressive dogs, we had to return him. They also kept like 20% of the money.

Stupid Petland.

Why would you buy a puppy at Petland? Their dogs come from puppy mills. There are puppies at shelters that need homes. Petland is a place no one should ever frequent. They sell small baby aquatic turtles which is illegal, but they get away with it by saying the turtles are used for educational purposes. They also give away the rabbits they can't sell after Easter. Theses bunnies usually end up as snake food or are turned loose to die of exposure or by dog. They are just evil. The only thing they care about is the mighty dollar just like Walmart.

Binas may not have known thats where the dog came from when she bought it. Lot of people on this site have gotten pets at the pet store before they knew better.

Most places offer you no return at all and want a fee as well. You should make a very informed decision when you buy a pet and be responsible for it. Sorry but taking back wasn't any better than buying it there in the first place. You really don't desrve any money for taking it back anyway. Sorry to sound so mean. why didn't you check your local SPCA ? I have 2 rescued dogs and a cat , not mention GPs and Rabbits. I also have a horse I bought at auction that would have gone for meat ( I paid $135). I think anyone can find anytype of pet that NEEDS Rescuing.

babygrl1234 said:
Binas may not have known thats where the dog came from when she bought it. Lot of people on this site have gotten pets at the pet store before they knew better.
Ignorance doesn't make it right. If you can read you can research. If you are on this forum you are on the net, so you can research. I don't want to get off the point too much but people should really research WalMart before they shop there. What they do to their competition, employees and the people in other countries who make their products is atrocious. You may think you're getting a good deal but if you look at the big picture you're being scammed. OK I'll get off my soap box (for now).

I think WalMart is a whole different discussion in and of itself.

Ignorance doesn't make it right.

I sure hope, after making a statement like that, that *you* have never made a mistake before in your life.

There needs to be more awarness of pets in Shelters, and less impulsvie pet getting. They need to be part of a family FOREVER . People need to get GPs with the expectation that they WILL live 4-7 yrs or more and commit to that.

Did I say that was she did was right? I will be the first to admit that I bought my first pig at a pet store. Why? Because I went in there to get a hamster and was talked into a pig. Since I had not planned on getting a pig I did the research after and found this site. Maybe it was in the wrong order but oh well. At least I know now and at leat she knows now.
Furthermore, some people may not think to look on the internet for advice about things. When my parents bought their first dog there was no such thing as the internet. When they bought their second one back in 1999 maybe they could have been more well informed. I mean geez, they had a dog for 15 years but they had better research how to take care of one before they got another. I mean seriously. They only now know that they made a mistake because of the things I have told them. Maybe they were "ignorant". People make mistakes and that is how they learn.
Before you start ranting about Walmart there have been other threads regarding Walmart and all of that jazz.

You're correct, I was harsh. Sorry. But petshops selling pets from puppy mills just gets me all riled up. People buying dogs from petshops gets me even more wound up. :grumpy: Still, I apologize for being so unforgiving. :hug:

I understand. The sad thing is that enen though I knew it was better to get a dog from the humane society I never realized how how pet stores worked and never even knew what a puppy mill existed let alone what one was. I am just glad that I know know and can educate people about the issue.

I was only eleven when we got the pup. A year before that I even knew that Petshops are bad. Its also not like I wanted to give Pirate(What I named him) back. I was on the floor crying my eyes out.

It was my parents choice. Not mine.

I know that you weren't trying to be mean Emmet. But keep in mind that I was and still am a "Child". So forgive me.

=(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.