Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Really angry at petland!!!!

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Usually I don't buy from petland but I was crunched on time and really needed pellets. But anyway when I walked buy the guinea cages they had rabbits in them :eek:hmy:! Petland already isn't that good when taking care of their animals but aren't they smart enough to realize that rabbits shouldn't be housed with guinea pigs. I would have gone right up to that manager and told them why they shouldn't have guinea pigs in with rabbits if I wasn't short on time. I'am so angry at petland right now!!!!!!! :mad:

Has anyone else gone to a petstore where animals that shouldn't be housed together are housed together?

ZipBonBoo

Cavy Slave
A local, family run pet store near me keeps (or used to? I'm not sure...it changes from time to time and I haven't been there since I hate the place) rabbits and guinea pigs together.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Petland is the worst of the worst of the worst. Don't Google them unless you want to be thoroughly horrified and disgusted.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Our PetLand went out of business because the animals they were selling kept dying (sometimes of contagious diseases that spread to owners other animals). There were huge protests at PetLand (sometimes hundreds of people), and it worked. People did not shop there, and the news media did a great job of covering it all. They spread stories of animals dying, and interviewed employees who told horror stories. They were open for about a year, maybe a little less.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
Petland is just AWFUL. It amazes me that there are still people who don't know about the horrible conditions there. And worse is the people who know about the conditions but buy puppies and other animals form them anyway....and then they call it a "rescue." PUHLEEEASE.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Hm, Ive never heard of Petland, only Petco, Petsmart, and the small feedstores around me that sell pigs every once in awhile.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
@PiggieWigglies its not as common as petsmart and petco which is good because it is a whole lot worse that petsmart and petco there are probably 20 guinea pigs per cage, they sell dogs from puppy mills which are in small cages with 4 to a cage they have about 30 little birds (don't know what their called) to a cage and the list goes on.

PigglyWiggly29

Cavy Gazer
I have had very similar experiences at Petland.

Puppies stuck in dirty small cages
Guinea pigs living with rabbits
5 hamsters living in one cage
Males living with females= very sick and over worked mothers

I literally felts sick in that store. Thankfully, they are rapidly going out of business now that people know their true intentions and processes.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I hate petland. There's one here in Iowa City that's been around for years, which surprises me because of all the protesting people did before it went in. I used to go in there to play with the puppies as a kid and I remember thinking they treated the hermit crabs awful. Little did I know what else they treat awful. Up until recently, they were keeping male and female guinea pigs together and I've seen terribly underweight puppies for sale. Someone that I used to work with told me she went in there and an employee told her they put their pigs into exercise balls.

I've reported them to animal control twice now and a friend told me that they finally keep the males and females separate. There is nothing good about that store; there is nothing that they won't sell to make a quick buck and the employees are worse than used car salesmen. The last time I was in there, probably a year ago, one guy came up, put a puppy in my mom's arms and walked away.

I agree, petland is the worst.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately there is no protesting at the petland in my area sadly its quite popular, people go there all the time because they sell dogs and you can take them and play with them any time you want and you can touch and take any animal you want anytime.

Petland is just plan o'l gross.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
that sounds terible
i'm horifyed

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I agree it is horrible.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
the conditions for the animals dont sound right iethr

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.