Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General summer vacation: how to travel with piggies?

Littlebarrypig

Cavy Slave
We have several trips planned for the summer - how does everyone handle travelling? Advice for travelling with piggies and advice on how to leave pigs at home would be appreciated.

Thank you

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
I have the same question we have a long roadtrip planned and I cannot decide if I should ask the rescue if she could take them for the time we are away....or try and get the kids next door to do it....or try taking them with us???? Anyone?

Jasper_Hale

Cavy Slave
They can be handled in car rides. You can either get a pet store cage, or a small pet carrier for smaller trips. As you probably know, pet store cages aren't good, but they do work as a short time place as car rides. If I were you, I would get a pretty cheap pet store cage and line it with bedding or fleece. That is what I'm doing for a 3 hour trip this summer.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Piggies can get stressed out very easily on car trips.
I would ask the local rescue or a good friend to look after them.

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
They can be handled in car rides. You can either get a pet store cage, or a small pet carrier for smaller trips. As you probably know, pet store cages aren't good, but they do work as a short time place as car rides. If I were you, I would get a pretty cheap pet store cage and line it with bedding or fleece. That is what I'm doing for a 3 hour trip this summer.

We're doing the same thing this summer. And we're bringing along the floor set up I just got: grids, fleece, toys, etc. So that we can set it all up in the room once we get there. By the time we travel, CharleyCharley and Riley will be able to be together, so it's perfect timing for us.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
I would get family or friends to watch them. If you take them to a rescue that has other pigs you could expose them to diseases, mites, lice etc.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I take my guinea pig with me. I put him in a cage that is about 20" by 25", and I cover the cage with a towel (with openings so he can breathe of course). I do this because Smudge gets very stressed because of the open top on the cage and I think it is because he has everything rushing by him.
When we are done with the car ride, I have a cage that I leave at our summer house, it is a petstore cage that is about 28" Long by 18" Wide. If
But if it is only temporary, I think that having a petstore cage is fine.
When we go to our summer house for more than 2 days, he comes with us. Since we have a shed I keep his grids and things like that in there so he can be outside if the weather is nice.
But if you put him outside in an unfarmiliar environment, or anywhere for that matter, you must provide supervision. Once every few minutes will not do it.
An animal can take your beloved pet at any time and you don't know when that may be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.