Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Female piggies rumblestrutting

gpihgos

Cavy Slave
Both my girls do a lot of rumblestrutting, often. They have never gotten into a fight but I’m a little worried that it could happen. Is there anything I could do to lessen this? I was also thinking about getting a male pig sometime in the future.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it occurs on a regular basis, about every 14-16 days or so, it's probably because one or the other is in heat. If it's fairly constant, and if they're at least three or four years old or older, the cause may be ovarian cysts.

As long as it's not caused by cysts, there's nothing to worry about. It's not abnormal behavior for either males or females, although males are more likely to do it.

If you do think it's possibly caused by cysts, you need to see a good exotic vet. Some cysts can be treated with hormone injections, others require surgery.

Maria465

Cavy Gazer
The term "rumblestrutting" in the context of female guinea pigs typically refers to a behavior they exhibit when they are in heat or sexually receptive. Female guinea pigs may engage in rumblestrutting, which involves making a soft purring or rumbling sound while walking with a swaying hip movement. This behavior is part of their mating ritual and is often accompanied by other signs such as raising their hindquarters, a receptive posture, and increased vocalizations.

gpihgos

Cavy Slave
I had a feeling that was the reason, but thank you for confirming. They will be a year old in March, so I doubt it is ovarian cysts.