Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How do I make a guinea pig less afraid of me?

ADMII

Cavy Gazer
My family has had this guinea pig for 2-3 years now. 2 months ago, her mother died, and I'm afraid she is getting lonely while I'm trying to figure out what to do to get her a new friend. My younger sister used to handle her, but she was irrisponsible with her, so now I have her. She is very afraid of being picked up or moved, and I can't pet her without her flinching. I've been trying new things to try to bond with her, like watching guinea pig recordings, handfeeding her vegetables, taking her into my backyard (While following her so she doesn't do anything rash) but I can't figure out how to make her less afraid of me. Any tips?

Time, my friend. Thats the only thing. Spend as much time as possible handling, feeding, and just loving on her. Don't OVERFEED treats, but get her associated with lap time as treat time.

Also, when you take her outside, make sure she is protected and by that I mean a large cage. Do NOT let her walk free or you may regret it. In addition, some sort of overhead protection from predators such as hawks would be beneficial, both to shield her from predators AND the sun.

Try to interact with her at the same times every day. This will help her know what to expect and feel more secure. Spend time just sitting near her cage or play area, letting her get used to your presence without trying to handle her too much at first. Speak to her in a gentle, soothing voice so she’ll start to recognize your voice and associate it with calm and safety.

Continue hand-feeding her favorite veggies. This is a great way to build trust and associate your presence with positive experiences. When you do need to pick her up, make your movements slow and deliberate. Quick or sudden movements can be scary for guinea pigs.

every time I get a new guinea pig, I always talk to them.