Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight How to get a sow to gang weight…

• Thread starter Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest
  • Start date

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
Hello! I was wondering if you could give me some things to help gang a female piggies weight, currently she weighs 733 g. I can feel her bones and I think some of her hair is falling out (in very very tiny amounts It is just a little splotchy) I am already using some critical care and increased veggies. let me know! 🙂

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Weight loss is usually a symptom of illness. Has she been losing weight over a period of time? You mentioned possible hair loss. That could indicate thyroid issues, or if she’s itchy it could be parasites like mites. It could also be vitamin C deficiency. She should be getting a vitamin C supplement of at least 25 mg daily if she’s healthy and more if she’s deficient.

Feeding Critical Care is a good idea to help maintain her weight and get nutrients if she isn’t eating well. But unexplained weight loss means she should be seen by a vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Another factor is age. Senior pigs will lose weight in plateaus -- lose 20- 30 grams, stabilize for a little while, lose 20-30 more, stabilize, rinse and repeat.

And @ItsaZoo is right. She could have mites, she could be vitamin C deficient, or there could be other problems. It would be a very good idea to have a vet check her over.

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
Weight loss is usually a symptom of illness. Has she been losing weight over a period of time? You mentioned possible hair loss. That could indicate thyroid issues, or if she’s itchy it could be parasites like mites. It could also be vitamin C deficiency. She should be getting a vitamin C supplement of at least 25 mg daily if she’s healthy and more if she’s deficient.

Feeding Critical Care is a good idea to help maintain her weight and get nutrients if she isn’t eating well. But unexplained weight loss means she should be seen by a vet.
Ok, thank you! She does need mites/anything like that, I have checked her skin, and have ivermectin that I give her every three months. she is still very enthusiastic to eat! Also, it is not just her who is losing weight. I have another sow, I was looking to add another (a neutered male) or so, they said 😡 And shockingly. They ended up being pregnant! After only 4 days being with each other! I am extremely thankful that nothing happened to them. But they have both lost weight since after birth. Like I’ve said, I am feeding them extra (about three times, because that’s what the vet said I should feed when they are pregnant) look into the extra vitamin C, and if she hasn’t gained some weight in the next couple of days i’ll take them to the vet. Thank you for what you have said! Please let me know if you think it is anything else information I have given. 🥰

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
Another factor is age. Senior pigs will lose weight in plateaus -- lose 20- 30 grams, stabilize for a little while, lose 20-30 more, stabilize, rinse and repeat.

And @ItsaZoo is right. She could have mites, she could be vitamin C deficient, or there could be other problems. It would be a very good idea to have a vet check her over.
The response that I gave to @ItsaZoo is also for you 😊 and she is not a senior, she is 1 year and 5 months old.

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
And which vitamin C supplement would be best?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I think the easiest is Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Supplement. They are little wafers like treats and each one is 25 mg of vitamin C. Most Guinea pigs like them.

There are liquids that can be syringed or put on food. Just avoid adding these to the water. They break down in water and you never know how much your Guinea pig actually gets.

Attachments

1705176322619.png