Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing My piggies chew. Everything. How to stop them from chewing.

gpihgos

Cavy Slave
I have bought them chew toys that they use, they have unlimited hay, yet the choose to chew on the cage, coroplast, beds, and the bricks that hold down the bedding. How do I make them stop?

Guinea pigs tend to chew as a natural thing. Mine have chewed through everything I've placed in their cage. Some tend to chew more than others. How big is your cage? Active chewing can be a form of stress or discomfort. Sometimes it's just normal for them to chew and even want attention. In terms of wooden toys it can be healthy as it keeps their actively growing teeth in check and helps for them to not overgrow which would lead to dental disease.

Guinea pigs tend to chew as a natural thing. Mine have chewed through everything I've placed in their cage. Some tend to chew more than others. How big is your cage? Active chewing can be a form of stress or discomfort. Sometimes it's just normal for them to chew and even want attention. In terms of wooden toys it can be healthy as it keeps their actively growing teeth in check and helps for them to not overgrow which would lead to dental disease.
Their cage is a 4x2, but I was thinking of changing it to 3x3. They have plenty of space to run around. I try to stress them out as little as possible but it is inevitable, they are skittish.

One thing I noticed is that my guinea pigs like to chew on the coroplast if there is treats or hay near or in my case under their cage. So if you store stuff under a raised cage check to see if you have anything that might be appealing to them.

Their cage is a 4x2, but I was thinking of changing it to 3x3. They have plenty of space to run around. I try to stress them out as little as possible but it is inevitable, they are skittish.
Keep it a 2 by 4. They need space to run in long straight lines. It might make the bar biting even worse, I recommend make the cage bigger length wise.

One thing I noticed is that my guinea pigs like to chew on the coroplast if there is treats or hay near or in my case under their cage. So if you store stuff under a raised cage check to see if you have anything that might be appealing to them.
My cage is on the floor. I have recently taken out the ramp, so they don’t chew as much.