Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Questions about my pregnant guinea pig

Locuna

Cavy Slave
image.jpgimage.jpgUpdated the cage! I went from a 2x3 to a 3x4 yeah!! I know this thread was mostly about pregnant guinea pigs, but before it ends I want to show off the new cage layout, and where the three females (Juno, Arya, and Marny) will be living! Badget and another pig will go downstairs next to the bunny loft. Maybe, when time passes we might just get him neutered and stay with the females. Anyway here's are cage. Made from 50 grids, 200 cable ties and a shower curtain:

Attachments

image.jpg

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
Looks like they should be playing Twister! Right paw green!

Chritazy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Those are some CUTE babies! I'm glad you're able to keep them!

Locuna

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks everyone. Question about badget... He's only about 1 and a half week old and he's already started humping and purring his sisters. He's still really small, and he can't even reach the mom but he sniffs everyone all the time and purrs and humps them! Is this normal? Practicing? It's not even close to being 3 weeks yet, he's not even 2! so what does this mean? Should I take him out? He still nurses but would it be ok? I don't want pregnancies again thank you very much.... But will he get them pregnant at only 2 weeks of age? Thanks guys!

Locuna

Cavy Slave
Baby boy 2 weeks old already trying to mate!?

Ok so I had another thread on here in pregnancy and babies because the guinea pig I got off Craigslist ended up being pregnant. She had three healthy babies 2 girls and 1 male ( I've checked many times) and the male has already started purring and humping ( well trying to) his mother! I have not seen him on his sisters yet, but it has been only 2 weeks exactly I have there birthdate marked on the calendar, and am checking off the days until 3 weeks to separate the male. The mom still nurses them, but I think she is pretty skinny. Ever since she gave birth she was skinny and not Plump like a normal guinea pig should be. I have 2 food bowls in there, and give them veggies everyday but I think the babies are eating her to death, eating all the food and drinking milk. I can't wait to get the little male out, but he still is very small and we got another male pig were trying to bond him with. I'm afraid the male pig will hurt him though, he is a little bigger. So, yes please help me I don't want the mother to die she is straight up and down skinny but is energetic and healthy, clear eyes, warm ears and feet.
So is the mother supposed to be skinny?
Should I separate the male even at 2 weeks?
thanks in advance and sorry it was so long

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Re: Baby boy 2 weeks old already trying to mate!?

It's just practice as he hasn't reached sexual maturity yet, just like human babies & children hump things.
But I would make absolutely sure to separate at the three week mark, no later. We are all sexual beings from birth.
Mounting is also a sign of dominance in pigs, nothing odd at all.

You need to weigh the mother weekly, and daily now when you suspect something may be wrong.
It's also very imortant to weigh the babies.
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

If she's losing weight, you need to get her to a cavy savvy vet, as well as handfeed her.
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Baby boy 2 weeks old already trying to mate!?

Leave him in until three weeks. He's just practicing.

Locuna

Cavy Slave
Ok now I think this is serious. The mother pig is very skinny, she's 500 g! I can now see her pelvic bones! She wasn't this skinny yesterday but I'm going to bring her to the vet! She eats and drinks fine and is full of energy and her eyes are bright but she is just so skinny! She has two full bowls of food and tons of fruits and veges but she doesn't seem to be gaining any weight! I'm scared for her life I didn't think she was this bad till I brought her out to weigh her! Anything I can do?!

southernmess

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear she isn't doing well. Please let us know what the vet says. Fingers crossed that she will pull through!

A note on the earlier topic of the thread...My Sarafina was apparently pregnant when I got her. I handled her daily and never knew for certain that she was pregnant. Only way I found out was because of the two new heads poking around her cage one day. She got bigger...but not like some of the pictures I have seen. I also never really felt the babies moving or kicking...not sure if this is normal or odd...but guess it goes to show you may not always know they are pregnant.

Locuna

Cavy Slave
Okay well I couldn't take her to the vet because for some reason they were closed -_- so I just have her on lots of veggies unlimited pellets and water and hay, and dry oatmeal which iv read helps the, fatten up?? It's all natural no flavors of sugar added oatmeal. Is it bad for. Them? In so,e forums they say its good and others don't so... Anyway she binkies all the time and is full of energy and seems like a normal happy guinea pig, she eats fine, nothing white in her poop, its a dark brown, big and not be be gross lol has no discharge or white eggs, works or any parasite I can see. She's always had a problem with itching, ever since I got her she itched a lot but nothing has progressed from since I got her no flaky skin, bleeding, bald patches, her hair is thick and smooth and nice. So I think it's just because out house is dry. She eats like crazy so I don't know how she's not gaining weight! She just thinned out ever since she had the babies and is so flabby on her stomach now! Ugh I don't know! She seems fine and is not losing weight anymore just at the same weight. I'm going to try to get her in to the vets tomorrow and since then I will weigh her everyday and see if there are changes. I have also created a small cage for the babies to go for like an hour with food, water, mushy pellets, hay and hidy holes so they can be Blythe,selfs and give her so,e time alone to eat and rest. I'm hoping she's just worn out and nursing to much or something that will pass or go over if she just eats and rests, and not something really serious! Wish me luck and her luck and hope she pulls through!

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
Okay well I couldn't take her to the vet because for some reason they were closed -_- so I just have her on lots of veggies unlimited pellets and water and hay, and dry oatmeal which iv read helps the, fatten up?? It's all natural no flavors of sugar added oatmeal. Is it bad for. Them? In so,e forums they say its good and others don't so... Anyway she binkies all the time and is full of energy and seems like a normal happy guinea pig, she eats fine, nothing white in her poop, its a dark brown, big and not be be gross lol has no discharge or white eggs, works or any parasite I can see. She's always had a problem with itching, ever since I got her she itched a lot but nothing has progressed from since I got her no flaky skin, bleeding, bald patches, her hair is thick and smooth and nice. So I think it's just because out house is dry. She eats like crazy so I don't know how she's not gaining weight! She just thinned out ever since she had the babies and is so flabby on her stomach now! Ugh I don't know! She seems fine and is not losing weight anymore just at the same weight. I'm going to try to get her in to the vets tomorrow and since then I will weigh her everyday and see if there are changes. I have also created a small cage for the babies to go for like an hour with food, water, mushy pellets, hay and hidy holes so they can be Blythe,selfs and give her so,e time alone to eat and rest. I'm hoping she's just worn out and nursing to much or something that will pass or go over if she just eats and rests, and not something really serious! Wish me luck and her luck and hope she pulls through!

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
Take the oat meal away from her, it's a grain and it's bad for for.

Locuna

Cavy Slave
Omg really! What does it do!? How is it bad!? I'm taking it away right now! Oh man I hope she doesn't get sick or something now!

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
She eats like crazy so I don't know how she's not gaining weight! She just thinned out ever since she had the babies and is so flabby on her stomach now! Ugh I don't know! She seems fine and is not losing weight anymore just at the same weight. I'm going to try to get her in to the vets tomorrow and since then I will weigh her everyday and see if there are changes.

This is normal in women after having babies, we burn more calories nursing so we usually can eat more and stay the same weight or even lose weight. Her stomach will likely be flabby (somebody correct me if I'm wrong though) because the babies stretched out her skin and muscles there. Women go through the same thing and most of us will never regain the elasticity we had before babies. I don't know about cats but I know the rescued dogs I've seen in the past are the same way as well after having pups. She's not losing weight which is good, but it sounds like she is doing okay to me. I'm always a firm believer in taking her in if you're worried, so hopefully she'll check out just fine!

Good luck to both of you!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, the oatmeal messes with their digestive system.

The babies don't need mushy pellets. Within two hours of birth they are able to eat the hard ones.

You can give the mom some alfalfa hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.