Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression My Guinea Pig is a serial killer..

helpmeporfavor

Cavy Slave
I am praying someone can give me an answer as to what to do..

We had 7 Guinea pigs… 1 (Cookie) had 6 babies after we rescued her, and the other (Spider Pig) is our first pig, he’s 5 & awesome: we’ve never had an issue with our first pig, but Cookie… Cookie has always been different, (we assumed it’s because she came from a “not so great” home and with time it’d get better… it’s been over a year and seems to be worse.)

Fast forward— she had 6 babies.. she “offed” 1 of them, 4 weeks after… and than one passed away around 6 months strangely.. but the vet and I agree we saw a bite mark

She can get out of her cage sometimes (no idea how honestly, I even have removable zip ties now ), This morning, I found 1 (patches) “offed” in her cage & the boy 1 (Piglet) “offed” in HIS cage — Cookie was covered in red & devouring one when I walked in… other looked like it had been eaten: pardon my French but what the f___!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She had water, food, toys, space.. like there’s no reason she should’ve done that.. and now I’m SUPER convinced she’s basically a Guinea pig serial killer: like what the.. WHY would she do that ?! Behavior wise, she has been more aggressive lately, she’s always been great with my daughter who helps everyday with them, but lately she’s bit her every single time. (that’s one of the reasons why I moved the other girl into her own cage away from her.. but she still got her through the side of the cage.. like what the f*ck!!!!

I have two pigs left besides her (Spider Pig & Nightwing) —- I don’t want her to hurt them and I just don’t know what to do.. what do I do ?!!!

What do I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First thing I'd do is separate her until I got things sorted out.

Second thing is a vet visit to a good exotic vet for a thorough checkup. Ovarian cysts can cause aggressive behavior, but this is over the top.

I'm sorry this happened. I've heard of sows occasionally eating newborns, but the consensus on that seems to be that it's an overly enthusiastic cleaning of a stillborn pup by a new mom rather than an act of aggression.

helpmeporfavor

Cavy Slave
First thing I'd do is separate her until I got things sorted out.

Second thing is a vet visit to a good exotic vet for a thorough checkup. Ovarian cysts can cause aggressive behavior, but this is over the top.

I'm sorry this happened. I've heard of sows occasionally eating newborns, but the consensus on that seems to be that it's an overly enthusiastic cleaning of a stillborn pup by a new mom rather than an act of aggression.
Thank you so much for your reply, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I do have her seperated from everyone else.

In my area, I did finally find a vet who seems like he’s actually legitimate (there’s a lot in the area that claim to be exotic or do Guinea pigs, but when I had a pig sick a few months ago they gave terrible advice that made it worse.. {I did report it}). We go at the end of next week, and I’ll update.