Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Babies/Pups Guinea Pig Given Birth

laura_lewis

Cavy Gazer
Hi,

I had GP’s as a child but this is my first time having them as an adult, I bought 2 sows from a local pet shop 7 weeks ago yesterday and yesterday one of them gave birth to 3 pups. The pups seemed fine yesterday and were moving about the hutch following mum, I took the other GP to get sexed and they said she was definitely female so I must’ve been sold the other one pregnant. My question is just what do I do with these pups to give them the best chance? I’ve put in additional pellets, hay, water and fresh fruit and veg. Is there anything else I need to do? Also I read online I should be weighing them, I think by looking at them one is quite a bit smaller than the other 2 so I’m keen to monitor that to see if I need to intervene. Basically ANY help would be appreciated as I obviously didn’t think this would happen but am more than happy to have additional piggies! 2 of the babes pictured below!

Thanks!

Attachments

IMG_4621.jpeg
Congratulations on your new additions. First things first, baby proof the cage. Depending on your setup its imperative that you block any way out they could possibly have. The grids in a C&C cage can be easily escaped by a baby pig, so it's necessary to block the bottom six inches with cardboard or coroplast. I used binder clips and cardboard when I had babies, and it remained on the cage for at least 6-8 months.

Sexing the babies is important, but it can wait a couple of weeks. Any males MUST be removed from the main cage at the three week mark, as they are fully capable of impregnating a female.

A little extra parsley for extra calcium as they grow would be great, but only until six months old.

Lastly, weighing them IS important. Weekly would be best. Get yourself a digital kitchen sale that measures in grams. Weight should go up every week, down would indicate a problem. How much it goes up at this point really isn't an issue, as long as it's trending upward.

Congratulations! I hope the babies are doing well!
I know I’m seeing this quite a few days after but I had a similar situation about four years ago and also had three pups, with one smaller pup.
The biggest mistake I made was sexing the pups too soon. I accidentally left a pup with his mother and aunt. I was very very lucky. I would certainly recommend waiting until they’re around three weeks old.
The smaller pup in my litter did very well. He took a bit longer to grow so he wasn’t weaned until later. He was the pup I’d made the mistake with so his mother decided how long to nurse him. I don’t know if runts have different times when they can or will start breeding but if your littlest one is a male and still smaller after a few weeks, I would suggest to watch the mother and if you decide to separate him at three weeks like any other males, make sure he gets a lot of food/can eat solids as well as the others and you may want to give him formula for a week or so.
If you end up with only one baby boy, you may want to look into getting another male. Even if you don’t plan to keep the pups, getting a male will give him an adoption partner. I don’t know if an adult or a baby male would work better; I was lucky enough to have the father to put any boys with.
I haven’t used it before but I heard nursing females and pups under 6 months old benefit from alfalfa hay as it has more calcium which strengthens the mother and makes her milk better, and makes the pup’s bones grow stronger. I think this is also what’s different between baby and adult Guinea pig pellets but I’m not certain since I haven’t used baby pellets in a long time.
The only other suggestion I have is to take a lot of pictures; not taking more pictures of the pups is one of my biggest regrets! (Of course don’t crowd the pups too much when they’re really little.)