Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant or weight gain?

toririot

Cavy Gazer
We got her and another pig on 11/21. Turns out the other was a male after watching them interact for a few hours. We took the male back and got female friends for her. That would put her at around 6-7 weeks if pregnant.
I have weighed her every few days the past 10 days and they went as follows:
12/30 - 658g/23.21oz
1/3 - 679g/23.95oz
1/5 - 700g/24.69oz
1/7 - 734g/25.89oz
Totaling a 76g/2.68oz weight gain.
Her appetite and thirst have increased, and she is in the hay bin or food dish more than her 3 cage mates (all female).
These last few days she has started to only sleep in her spot or is eating or drinking while the others still bop around (I have cameras on both sides of the cage: eating area/sleeping area).

1704752191835.png1704752422006.png

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
We got her and another pig on 11/21. Turns out the other was a male after watching them interact for a few hours. We took the male back and got female friends for her. That would put her at around 6-7 weeks if pregnant.
I have weighed her every few days the past 10 days and they went as follows:
12/30 - 658g/23.21oz
1/3 - 679g/23.95oz
1/5 - 700g/24.69oz
1/7 - 734g/25.89oz
Totaling a 76g/2.68oz weight gain.
Her appetite and thirst have increased, and she is in the hay bin or food dish more than her 3 cage mates (all female).
These last few days she has started to only sleep in her spot or is eating or drinking while the others still bop around (I have cameras on both sides of the cage: eating area/sleeping area).

View attachment 110698View attachment 110699
It is possible she is pregnant, continue to weigh her And if she is continuing to gain (within the next week give or take) then I would say she’s pregnant, is it also possible she is just young and gaining weight naturally although it would be extremely fast, and unlikely. if she is pregnant, make sure you clean the enclosure regularly (more than usual) and feed her 3 times the amount you normally do (so about 3 cups of veggies for a day just for her) as she gets later into her pregnancy, you can feel her pelvis bones to determine due date. One finger away = about 3-5 days away, two fingers away = next 24 hours! It is OK to leave her with her cage mates as long as you do not see any aggression after babies are born to them.

I this is only if she is pregnant, which I sure hope she is not. It could be life-threatening to her if she is, so make sure you do lots of research and have vets on hand 🥰
good luck!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Welcome back to the Forum!

I suspect That no one has responded to your post, because apparently you have already decided that she is pregnant and not directly soliciting answers? Yes, your research and answers are quite good, but there are quite a number of variables to consider. And, the pix don't really show her from a dead-center view so that we can see both sides of her to judge if she really is pear-shaped.

I'm certainly not one to give you solid info regarding pregnancy as (with one exception)almost all of my cavies have been male.......most neutered with the exception of my current remaining .boar who is intact.

Keep journaling and keep us posted. As is often said, "the babies will come.......or they won't."

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave

I suspect That no one has responded to your post, because apparently you have already decided that she is pregnant and not directly soliciting answers? Yes, your research and answers are quite good, but there are quite a number of variables to consider. And, the pix don't really show her from a dead-center view so that we can see both sides of her to judge if she really is pear-shaped.

I'm certainly not one to give you solid info regarding pregnancy as (with one exception)almost all of my cavies have been male.......most neutered with the exception of my current remaining .boar who is intact.

Keep journaling and keep us posted. As is often said, "the babies will come.......or they won't."
Yes, I agree with you 100%! I thought that too. was this purposeful breeding?

toririot

Cavy Gazer

I definitely did not intend to come off as already deciding she is pregnant. I am very much hoping for her not to be, just thought I would ask people with more experience than just my knowledge I have researched on my own.

Apologies if sounding like this is something purposefully done. Just an unfortunate accident that I am trying to make sure is handled to the best of my abilities!

toririot

Cavy Gazer
It is possible she is pregnant, continue to weigh her And if she is continuing to gain (within the next week give or take) then I would say she’s pregnant, is it also possible she is just young and gaining weight naturally although it would be extremely fast, and unlikely. if she is pregnant, make sure you clean the enclosure regularly (more than usual) and feed her 3 times the amount you normally do (so about 3 cups of veggies for a day just for her) as she gets later into her pregnancy, you can feel her pelvis bones to determine due date. One finger away = about 3-5 days away, two fingers away = next 24 hours! It is OK to leave her with her cage mates as long as you do not see any aggression after babies are born to them.

I this is only if she is pregnant, which I sure hope she is not. It could be life-threatening to her if she is, so make sure you do lots of research and have vets on hand 🥰
good luck!
Thank you for the information! I am hoping it is just weight gain, but have informed their vet and have them on stand-by! I had an appointment for her on the 20th scheduled but have since cancelled after seeing posts that it would basically be unnecessary stress.