Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant guinea pig ultrasound video (a little bit cute)

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
https://www.facebook.com/NewBeGUINEAings/videos/890740424651400/

I thought I would share this here, because a) it's adorable in a different way to most piggy videos b) it's fascinating and c) it's educational.

It's also on Facebook, sorry. Hopefully you can still view it even if you don't have a Facebook account!

Esmé is a very young piggy who came into my care last week weighing slightly less than 350 grams. She was originally from a backyard breeding situation where someone had guinea pigs running around free range in their backyard, breeding and inbreeding (roans too, sadly), there's a bit of a story as to how she ended up with me, but she's exchanged hands a few times in the last couple of weeks and now will live with my permanent piggies and receive veterinary care if needed and careful monitoring. I could tell she was pregnant when I first touched her belly, but I wanted to check to see if I was wrong (I love being wrong about piggy pregnancies) but mostly I wanted to do an internal headcount of sorts to make sure she wasn't going to have a single, giant baby. The ultrasound picked up two foetuses, so hopefully they'll both grow to a reasonable size and the birth will go smoothly.

(Esmé herself is not roan as far as I can tell, thankfully.)

The video is a series of clips from her ultrasound where you can see the two foetuses moving about and enjoying life as "piggy tadpoles". I'd guess Esmé herself is around 5 weeks pregnant though it's really hard to be certain on the pregnancy timeline given her background. These little ones were not developed enough to be visible on x-ray just yet, also.

Lychee

Cavy Slave
That's amazing! I've never seen a guinea pig ultrasound; although it is hard to see. You're awesome for taking her in and managing the pregnancy so nicely. She's lucky to have you!

stray hares

Cavy Slave
IMG_4746-2.jpg

Born this morning. :)

Mum (Esmé) weighs 435 grams now (!!! :( ) and the bubs were 104 grams and 114 grams. I'm shocked she's doing so well, considering.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations! They are all absolutely adorable!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So cute! Congratulations!

stray hares

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. :) They are a super-cute little family and Esmé is being an amazing first (and last!) time mother.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.