Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad I am so sad.

Green Beans

Cavy Slave
(I now know this was not the best choice and this was before I knew anything at all about guinea pigs, so please don't berate me for using PetSmart to get our guinea pigs).

One day my daughter and I were in PetSmart buying a dog collar and we both fell in love with a guinea pig. I snuck over and bought him and went back later,without her, to pick him up. Meanwhile I did a little reading in a book I had bought and discovered that they really need a friend so I bought another one on the same day, along with the biggest cage PetSmart had. I brought them home and they lived at my in-laws home until Christmas Eve. I spent a lot of time over there whenever I could, handling them, feeding them, etc. (Luckily, my in-laws are my neighbors so it was easy for me to sneak over every chance I got.)

Meanwhile I found this site and found out about the c&c cages, along with a great deal more information. I have learned a lot here and am trying to do the very best for our new family members.

The kids discovered their Christmas presents early Christmas morning and named them Twix and Butterfinger. We've become very attached to them and love them to pieces!

We went shopping on Sunday to buy all the items needed to make the c&c cage and started washing fleece on Monday to get it ready and started building the cage. I thought I heard a few sneeze sounds coming out of the cage but it never seemed to happen when they were being handled so I thought it was maybe just another "noise" that they make.

We were ready to get the cage ready for their new home today but this morning while feeding them veggies I noticed one of the guinea pigs was having some snot bubbles (sorry, gross I know) while munching on his veggies. Then he started sneezing a few times so I knew it was not good.

I immediately came to this site and started looking around for info and found that URI's can be deadly if not treated immediately.:eek:hmy: So right away I started calling the vet. Our local vet (the one we use for our dog) doesn't have much guinea pig experience so recommended we find someone else. I called PetSmart's vet and found that one of their veterenarians are knowledgable with guinea pigs so I took the first appointment they had available.

I took him in and while riding in the car his eyes started running with green (just a little, but still, he had a little dried green on the corner of his eyes). We decided to leave him there to get the care he needs, even though it is a petstore, I hope I made the right choice.

Now Twix (our other guinea pig) is sneezing and the vet said it is likely he will end up with the same symptoms and need to be brought in. But until he has runny eyes and/or nose they would not treat him with medication. I'm praying that Twix is somehow able to avoid getting sick. When I got back home I thoroughly cleaned the cage before I put Twix back in. Hopefully that will help.

I feel so bad for these poor little guinea pigs and also for my kids and heck, me too. :( We've grown to love these little guys in the short time we've had them and I just don't want something to happen to either one.

If there is anything good of this, it is that Butterfinger or Twix are not having any trouble breathing and they are both eating and drinking well and having normal poops.

I told the vet that I would check back in a few days to see how Butterfinger is responding to the medicine. I forgot to ask how long it might be before there is a noticeable difference? Does anyone know?

Gosh, I sure hope I don't have to take Twix in for treatment in a few days. He was walking around his cage making noise, and I just know he is looking for his buddy. When Butterfinger comes home do you think they will have any dominance issues?

Also, we were planning to move them into the bigger cage today, should I go ahead and do that, or do you think there will be territory issues when Butterfinger returns? Argh, I just don't know what to do.:weepy: I just want what is best for both of them.

It is common for guinea pigs to come from pet stores with health problems. Another reason why this site is against buying guinea pigs from pet stores. I know you didn't know, and I feel that if you had known you would have adopted.

As much as you don't want to hear this I'm afraid Twix might have the same infection as Butterfinger especially if they've been living together either in the cage or in the pet store. The longer they've been together the bigger the chance of infection in Twix.

If you can, quarantine the guinea pigs from each other for 3 weeks after Butterfinger comes home. You don't want Twix reinfecting Butterfinger if Twix ends up being sick as well. Guinea pigs can hide their sickness' for a long time before they show any symptoms that you may start to notice or worry about..I know you're already worried about his sneezing because that's how Butterfingers' started but Twix might hide everything else he has for a while. So quarantine will be best to make sure both of them are healthy. If Twix ends up being sick, another quarantine will be needed.

Depending on their age, they may become dominant or territorial. The bigger the cage, the less chance they will have with territory issues.
All male guinea pigs are different. Some take puberty with fighting and some take it gracefully. I would ask about dominant behavior and puberty when it comes to males because Ive never owned a male guinea pig that had to live with another male. So I cannot give you much advice on that topic.

I hope both pigs bounce back and I'm glad you're doing everything you can.

Petsmart's vets are not usually the best ones either. They should both be treated for URI, mites and verified for gender. They are often missexed.

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened. I hope both of your pigs pull through okay. They should be fine when they are back together again, in regards to dominance issues, if you clean the cage really thoroughly before they go in. (That is after you do a quarantine if you can, as suggested above by Sugar&Ellie, - it will be worth it to make sure they are both okay, they may not be too happy about it for a while though and will need more of your attention to give them company. Also a stuffed toy guinea pig can sometimes help - my friend's piggie loves to snuggle up with her stuffed toy guinea pig since she is by herself right now).

I really hope everything works out. Please keep us updated :)

UPDATE:
Just wanted to post a little update that I called and checked on Butterfinger a few days ago and they said he was improving. We drove over to the store yesterday (45 min. away from home) and got to visit with him for awhile and he does seem to be doing better. No sneezing while we were there and no evidence of green stuff on his eyes or nose. He will finish his dose of medication on the 8th and we can hopefully bring him home after that. For those of you who sent well wishes, they were much appreciated!

Twix has not been sneezing or showing any other symptoms for several days now. I hope that means that he won't come down with an infection later. I think it will be best to keep them separate for awhile. Though it pains me to do that. :(

I am very glad to hear he's improving :) Despite not knowing that adoption is best, they are very fortunate to have a knowledgeable and caring owner who is observant of symptoms and quick to provide the care they need. I'm sure that thanks to you they will live longer and healthier lives than they ever would otherwise. All the best to you!

What medication was he put on?

What medication was he put on?
I honestly do not remember the names. I know there was an eye drop, an oral medication and also a salve for his eyes.

Sounds like he's going to make it through!

Make sure you quarantine them! Even if Butterfinger is improving and seems will it doesn't mean that the infection has completely left his system and could come back at any time. Upper respiratory infections are common in pigs that have had them before.

a 2-3 week quarantine would be ideal. If Butterfinger is completely back to normal after this and Twix is showing the same signs then they can happily become a herd again.

a 2-3 week quarantine would be ideal. If Butterfinger is completely back to normal after this and Twix is showing the same signs then they can happily become a herd again.

Just to clarify, I should quarantine them for 2-3 weeks AFTER coming home before I put them together? Or do you mean if there are no more symptoms put them together when he comes home?

Although you did what you had to do to get treatment for your piggies you should still research exotic vets and find one that is knowledgeable about guinea pigs and that would be better suited to diagnose and treat your piggies. I wish you all the best with your piggie babies.

also a salve for his eyes.

This just seems down right odd if one is being treated for an URI. Unless there is more to it then just that. I've heard of eye drops for guinea pigs but not a salve for their eyes.

I would do a ton of research and look for a vet that is legitimately experienced with guinea pigs.

You keep them separate for 3-4 weeks in a separate room behind closed doors, washing your hands and changing shirts between handling them.

And you need to do a full introduction when you put them back together. They may not remember each other and have to work out dominance.

Are you sure they are both boys?

I'm sorry to hear the pig fell ill. Concern is how is he eating and pooping while at the vet? Being on an antibiotic can cause great stress on the GI tract, along with inappitence and constipation.

It's important as a piggy owner to get yourself aquainted with what safe and unsafe antibiotics are. A place to visit is "Guinea Lynx". Some vets not well versed in the special health issues of guinea pigs, may prescribe a medication that can be toxic to the pig. They have very delicate systems.

Also, I recommend visiting all the sticky threads especially dietary needs .
As you'll learn, there's a lot more to owning a guinea pig.

When you bring your pig home, quarantine the two pigs from each other for 2 to 3 weeks in separate rooms. Avoid drafty areas. Keep the pen especially clean. Monitor the pigs' weight, very important is howoften its pooing. A lot can be learned from observing their poo as well as their urine.

You did the right thing by taking the piggy to the vet immediately when you noticed it was ill.

I went through this with one of my pigs just this October and recently with
our rabbit who was hospitalized he's made a near 100% recovery.

When it's time to put them back together, read up on social behaviors and introductions first to serve as a guide. Guinea pigs cannot just " be plopped together in a pen" doing this could cost you hardache and the pig un-necessary injury. Some hints...a large pen, give each pig its own items ie, bowls, hideys water bottles.

Good luck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.