Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Babies/Pups I have many questions re pair of sows and new babies

DreamsInPink

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I rescued two female guinea pigs exactly one month ago 12/22/23. I learned one was pregnant, only by watching her gain weight. She gave birth today, 1/22/24 to 3 sweet babies. I have them all together in a Midwest cage, which is temporary until I can get my room situated and buy the grid and coroplast cage and get it built. One of my main concerns is the babies squeezing through the bars on the Midwest. I already saw one try to escape. But I was in there, collecting them to put them in another location so I could clean the midwest. I'm HOPING that if I'm not in there scaring them, they won't try to get out. I don't have anything else to put them in except a big cardboard box, which I considered for mom and babies. BUT, if I do that, how hard will it be to introduce the two adult piggies later??

Also, how important is extra calcium for mom and babies right now? I can order alfalfa hay and/or pellets... but how do I keep Auntie piggy from getting too much calcium if I keep them all together? Should I order hay AND pellets, or just one or the other?

Thank you to anyone who reads this and replies. I'm attaching a picture of the wee ones. <3

Attachments

417275074_3553068031690158_224483221806773828_n.jpg
You can line the inside of the midwest, a few more inches up, with strips of coroplast and binder clips.

The extra calcium should be ok for mom and auntie piggie if it's short term. Usually about 6 months.

You can line the inside of the midwest, a few more inches up, with strips of coroplast and binder clips.

The extra calcium should be ok for mom and auntie piggie if it's short term. Usually about 6 months.
Thank you for your reply. All seems to be going well, but I haven't seen the babies eat much hay, pellets or vegetables. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do to encourage them to eat? They ARE growing though. =)

They're probably terrified, and are eating/drinking when they suspect no one is around ie during the night. A pet camera from Amazon is a great idea (the one I have is HD and has night vision as well) So even when you're out of the room, you can watch to see if they come out. And it records :)

I wondered about that. I hope you're right. I've been trying to leave them alone as much as possible... so as not to stress them out.
Do you have a model name or anything so I can find that pet camera? I never thought about getting one of those... but that sounds fun! :D

Yes, that one uses a smartphone. It actually has a smartphone pictured in the ad next to the camera. A smartphone is all I use for it.