Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my garden centre they sell them for £21:99 (I think! Well it's about that) don't know how much that is in dollars.

Eckerd said:
If you bought yours from a petstore.. How much did it cost you? Because i went to pet co.. and it was 34.50 Pretty Expensive. I rember pet supplies plus being like 10. but im not sure. So how much did it cost you?

Mine were both about $30 at Petco.

A thing about pet store animals: Its been about a month now, and they're only now starting to maybe sorta think about trusting me....

It probably would have been easier had I gotten one from a shelter or a breeder. Those aren't too common around these parts, though.... (chicago)

THat, of course, is not to say that I don't absolutely love my two little critters.

Petshops in this state sell cavies from $10-20(Aus$).

We got Minnie from Petco for $24 (she was $27, but we got a PetPals discount). Pumpkin came from another local pet store and was $25.

Thank you for all the information. I might go to petsupplies plus tommarow since its raining today. And see what there prices are.

Eckerd said:
Thank you for all the information. I might go to petsupplies plus tommarow since its raining today. And see what there prices are.

I'm curious why you would like to purchase from a petstore.

Here is a list of pigs available near your county. If you post your city and how far you can travel, I'll help locate the closest ones.

(broken link removed)

I think that what was not mentioned here were the additional costs of purchasing a guinea pig from a petstore.
Often they have mites. This can cost anywhere from $30 to hundreds depending on your vet and how bad the infestation is.
Often they have URIs. This can cost anywhere from $60 to hundreds.
Often they are not socialized. They don't know that veggies and hay are good to eat. They are afraid of people.

Also, it is expensive to maintain a guinea pig. Bedding for a large cage is expensive. They need fresh veggies daily. They need good quality food and hay. They need vet care. In the past month, we've spent over $800 trying to save our pig. Unfortunatley, we could not.

I'm not trying to discourage you from ownership, however many pet stores will try and convince you that guinea pigs are inexpensive, easy to care for pets. By the way, guinea pigs can live from 6 to 8 or more years. Its a long commitment.

Please let me help you find a local shelter or rescue before visiting the pet store.

Good luck.

Zeander said:
I'm surprised how many people have gotten a piggy from a pet shop, seeing as this site is so against it. I'm having no luck finding one to adopt or rescue so I might end up at a shop, too. At PetSmart, I think it's $25, PetCo is like $30 something, and PetSupermarket is $15.

I purchased my pigs from a petstore because I didn't know better. Where are you in Flordia? Maybe I can help you find a pig in a shelter or rescue?

I think I paid $25.00 for brownie at Petsmart (b4 I knew better). Gizmo was $15.00 donation to the shelter.

Ziggy and Stardust were both purchased from a small petstore. They were $15 each.

MooMoo-$60!! Does your pig have golden beans?!

Michele-Is your 3 yo named Scooby? LOL Or did you mean he named him?

What part of Virginia are you in? I volunteer at a shelter and we get them in all the time. I know of two guinea pig rescues, one in N VA and one in Chesapeake.

Amanda said:
Mottley was $25 and Candy was $30.
Shelters around here do not have Guinea Pigs, just cats and dogs. I did manage to find a selter in NC that would bring them up here to me in VA.

Ziggymom. My three year old daughter named one of the guinea pigs Scooby. I feel really for the guinea pigs at the pet store. Because they don't get the proper care they need. The reason I got my guinea pigs from the pet store, there are no rescues never me. The closet recuse near me is 3 and half hours away.

Some of my adopters are 3.5 hours, or even further away. We usually are able to work out transports to appropriate homes. I adopted my RainStorm from a rescue that was 5 hours from me (when I lived in FL). We had a nice day trip to go up and get her and drive home again. ;~) But, she was worth it.

Zeander said:
I'm surprised how many people have gotten a piggy from a pet shop, seeing as this site is so against it. I'm having no luck finding one to adopt or rescue so I might end up at a shop, too. At PetSmart, I think it's $25, PetCo is like $30 something, and PetSupermarket is $15.

Most people bought from a pet store before they KNEW about rescues and shelters. Seeing as how you don't have a pig yet, and you DO know about rescues, I would find that ignorant and irreponsible.

I did a petfinder search and found mulitple pigs. What part of FL are you in?

Could you do some searches for me in New York. I live in nassau county long island...

Wow, your pigs were quite expensive! I got Bonnie and Zirbel from a petstore. Bonnie (smooth hair) was 15 €, Zirbel (abby) 20 €. Gobi, neutered male, came from a shelter where I paid 20 €, and I paid 15 € again for Sydney, unspayed female, at the same shelter. Those are the usual prices for guinea pigs in Germany. Of course, breeders of Texel, Rex, Peruvians and so on ask a lot more. [size=-1][/size]

Eckerd said:
Could you do some searches for me in New York. I live in nassau county long island...

If you live near Salem, NY- there is a wonderful rescue called Amiable Animals there. She might be able to meet you half way. The pigs are listed on Petfinder.

IS Salem, New York near Long Island?

It is about three hours and twenty minutes away from you. I am sure you can find something closer if you need to. Amiable Animals could meet you half way if you are a good home, she did for me. I am a lot farther away that you are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.