Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Guesses on delivery date?

jennsc83

Cavy Slave
We have had our girls for 44 days now. Two of them are pregnant. Hershey (see pic) seems to be further along than her sister. She has not been eating as much for the past two days, but is still pretty active and drinking lots of water. Any guesses on her delivery date?

preggo 3.jpg

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Looks like it will be soon. When was the last date they were with a male?

jennsc83

Cavy Slave
We got them on December 2nd. We purchased two pair of sisters but there were males and females in the cage. The lady told us they were all three months old but Hershey and Patches were bigger (length and width) than the other pair. I didn't realize they were fertile at such an early age. Fortunately the other two are not showing any signs of pregnancy *fingers crossed*.

We have two 2x5 grid cages connected by a ramp, but I have blocked off the ramp and have the pregnant girls up top. Is it ok for them to be together or should i make another cage for the not-so-pregnant sister?

ally112087

Cavy Slave
From what I have learned they are only preg for about 62-64 days...That might be able to help you.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Gestation can usually last anywhere from 59-73 days, so depending on when they were put with the male... they have a little longer to go?

Can you feel the babies? Normally it's about a two week pierod before they give birth after you can feel them.

Here are a couple of helpful sites I suggest reading on, they really helped me when my rescued sow gave birth.
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html

Be careful not to handle them too much, you don't want too much pressure on their belly. Also line up a cavy savy vet in case anything were to go wrong during the birth. Once the babies are born we can help you sex them, but you will want to seperate males from females at exactly 21 days otherwise you will have inbreeding going on.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can leave them together -- most guinea pigs make good aunts. But if you're feeding them upstairs, you may have to put food down on the lower level as she gets farther along with the prenancy -- she may not be able to navigate the ramp then.

jennsc83

Cavy Slave
You can leave them together -- most guinea pigs make good aunts. But if you're feeding them upstairs, you may have to put food down on the lower level as she gets farther along with the prenancy -- she may not be able to navigate the ramp then.

Thank you for the advice. Food bowls, hay racks, and water bottles have always been on each level :)

I did have to separate the two pregnant girls last night; both wanted the same house although two are on each level.

jennsc83

Cavy Slave
Two healthy babies were popping around the cage this morning when i woke up. Mom is doing great! The bigger baby has already nibbled on hay and they are both running through the pipe. lol

babies cropped.jpgnursing baby.jpg

Brando

Cavy Slave
Very cute! Glad everyone is doing well:p

HolyCowBunny

Cavy Slave
Cute! Congratulations! :)

piggyland1

Cavy Slave
Aww they are adorable!!! Great to know everyone is healthy, they are so cute! xx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.