Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Infected bite wound on rear end

PatatePoil

Cavy Gazer
Before everything, I know I should get him to a vet as soon as possible. Sadly, my usual vet is on vacation for the next two weeks and the only available vet who see exotics for emergencies has very poor reviews. The only other vet I trust is about a 3 hour drive, which I can't do before tomorrow as my fiancé left with the car to see her parents. Right now I'm looking for what to do until then.

Patate got bitten by his brother yesterday. My vet was closed so I had to wait today to call and learn they're on vacations. I separated the pigs as they were teeth chattering and Patate also had a small wound on his face. I don't want it to get worse.

The bite already has pus coming out of it and started to close with a scab, but there's still pus coming out of it. It's on his rear end. I've cleaned it with a saline solution I got recommanded by my vet. I've cut the hair around it to avoid it getting in there. He doesn't seem to be in pain, he walks around, runs and eats fine. But the wound is pretty bad. I have pictures but they barely show anything.

What can I do with him until I get the help he needs and deserves?

You can use a triple antibiotic ointment like Polysporin. You must rub it in very well to make sure he doesn't ingest any, and if it's a painful bite he will not be happy about it.

For a wound like this, I wouldn’t be too concerned if the vet was exotic or not. Injuries, eye pokes, torn toenails, things like that are pretty basic and I would trust a regular vet for treatment. The only caution would be administering or prescribing guinea-pig safe antibiotics.

Also, don't let it scab over. Soften the scab by holding a warm compress to it and pick the scab off. Clean the area by flushing it with sterile saline.

You do need to get antibiotics for it. He needs to take them orally, because just rubbing them into an area that's already infected won't get the medicine deep enough to do any good. Like @ItsaZoo said, he needs an antibiotic safe for guinea pigs. Something like Baytril would probably work, but get some BeneBac probiotic and give him a dose an hour after the Baytril.