Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Chirping loudly like a bird?

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
So a few minutes ago one of my female guinea pigs started chirping like a bird. LOUDLY. Like, she woke people up. I didn't get a video of it cause she stopped after I picked her up.

Anyone know much about this? I mean, she sounded exactly like a bird. I tried googling it and everywhere said it was the least understood guinea pig noise. Some say it's good, some say they may have been startled, some say they are stressed. She started doing it about 5-10 minutes after giving them veggies, which is her favorite time of day so I'm guessing it would be from stress, or stress from a small cage (3 pigs in 2 connected Midwest Guinea Habitat Plus cages, so 16 sq ft).

If you go on youtube and search "guinea pig chirping like a bird" it sounded exactly like that.

Has anyone read anything else about it? She hasn't done it since I put her back down.

To be honest, it was super cute. I was just worried that she was making it for a bad reason so I started to freak out a bit.

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had two chirpers. Neither ever chirped in response to stress or being afraid, only when the house was perfectly quiet. The best guess most people have is that they're calling the mother ship.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
One of my girls do this, scared me too when I first heard it. She only does it as bpatters said when the house is totally quiet, for me usually in the whee hours of the morning. Most of the time I just ignorant but sometimes I will give her more fresh hay and then she is quiet lol For all I know she is training me to give her fresh hay hehe

I have read same though and it could be done out of boredom, heard a noise, really anything. Enjoy your little chirpper :)

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Thank you both! That makes me feel better. She hasn't done it since but I won't freak out if she does haha.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
All rodents can chirp, but not all do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.