Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Chirping, my observations

Soecara

Cavy Slave
So over the years I have had many guinea pigs who I have seen or heard chirping in my care. I have found over the past year one of my boars is a very active chirper. It took me a while to identify who my chirper was because he always stops when I start moving and tends to be a dead of the night chirper, but I was able to turn the light on and sit and watch the cage one night when he kept continuing to chirp after brief pauses.

What I noticed that I have found to be very interesting however was the behaviour of my other guinea pigs. Particularly in the most recent episodes of chirping. In all past events of chirping I have always noticed the guinea pigs who do not share a cage with the chirper seem the most affected by the chirping, they always seem more scared, freezing, scared purring, running for cover. Whereas the cage mate of the chirper always seemed much less affected.

In the recent event the first thing I noticed was his cage mate was still moving about the cage but all of the guinea pigs in the cage above (a herd of 3 sows and a neutered boar) seemed entranced. When I accidentally moved too fast all four guinea pigs in the cage above bolted to the other end of the cage like they were about to be attacked but the cage mate of the chirper continued to move about the cage slowly. The chirper himself remained frozen in place where he had been chirping.

When the non-chirping cage mate approached the chirper he began to rumble strut at him and yawning, but remaining a good 20cm away just rumble strutting yawning and circling him. It may be important to note the chirper and the non-chirper have been in a bit of a power struggle, but the non-chirper is the more dominant of the two. Though yawning is certainly an escalation of dominance behaviours for that boar, I have never witnessed him yawn at his cage mate before.

What do I personally make of this? Perhaps chirping is a territorial related sound. My other boar was certainly acting like the chirping was a dominance behaviour.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.