Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior How can I help my Guineas to like each other more? (Details in post)

• Thread starter Peanut&Cocopuff
  • Start date

Peanut&Cocopuff

Cavy Slave
My girlfriend and I just got Peanut and Cocopuff around two months ago. First time having Guinea Pigs. Cocopuff is the calico colored one and Peanut is the blonde (profile pic).

Both are confirmed females, and the pet store we got them from apparently didn’t know that Peanut was pregnant. We found out yesterday when she gave birth to two little ones who didn’t make it out alive.

Peanut is very healthy still, after the event. We talked to the vet on the phone. She is lively, eating and drinking, still squeaking and purring when we hold her. They told us she doesn’t need an appointment.

The problem I’m having now, is that we should’ve (and would’ve) kept them separate, had we known Peanut was pregnant. Because sometimes Peanut would nip at Cocopuff, which, now we know, is what happens with pregnant guineas. They might get easily irritated by another Guinea pig.

Now I’m concerned for them and their relationship with each other. I was hoping that Peanut wouldn’t be like that anymore but I think now there is an established awkwardness between the two of them.

Peanut still nips at Cocopuff sometimes. So I guess she’s still bothered by Cocopuff, and Cocopuff is clearly always trying to be careful around Peanut. It’s not like Peanut is super bad about it or anything but it’s still kinda heartbreaking because I don’t think they ever would’ve been like this under the right circumstances.

Does anyone know any proven methods or tactics that can help Peanut and Cocopuff grow more comfortable around each other?

We got two Guinea Pigs instead of just one, so that they wouldn’t be lonely when we’re away at work or something. So I really want them to love each other lol.

It’s frustrating because if we had just known she was pregnant, we would’ve separated them and maybe there wouldn’t be this awkward rift between them.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks for reading this all the way through lol.

Time. That is the only remedy. It sounds like other than the nipping, they seem to get along just fine?

I've never had females, always had boars. And the last four boars that I've had, absolutely adored one another. Scooter and Punkin were littermates and were honestly the most bonded boars I've ever seen.

Leo and Simon, my current boys, are different ages (by about a year) and came from different homes. Neither were wanted and when I put them together I hoped against hope.

It has been two and a half years now, and they are ALMOST as close as Punkin and Scooter. I count myself very blessed.

This is where I add the point that is pertinent to you. Both Punkin and Scooter, as well as Simon and Leo, nip at each other. It's just part of being a guinea pig.

Sometimes, pigs will flat out not get along and cannot be together. Sometimes, you will get pigs that will cohabitate peacefully but that's about it. And sometimes, you get pigs that adore each other. My first two cohabitated somewhat peacefully. I have been lucky with the last four but that's not to say that there haven't been bumps in the road.

My point is, unless they are drawing blood they can live peacefully together. Even if they aren't the best of friends, they will appreciate each others company. Sometimes that's all you can hope for. But it comes down to each individual pigs personality and it's going to take much longer than two months to see where they will go. What I WILL say is that if they haven't drawn blood in two months, they will live together just fine.

Time. That is the only remedy. It sounds like other than the nipping, they seem to get along just fine?

I've never had females, always had boars. And the last four boars that I've had, absolutely adored one another. Scooter and Punkin were littermates and were honestly the most bonded boars I've ever seen.

Leo and Simon, my current boys, are different ages (by about a year) and came from different homes. Neither were wanted and when I put them together I hoped against hope.

It has been two and a half years now, and they are ALMOST as close as Punkin and Scooter. I count myself very blessed.

This is where I add the point that is pertinent to you. Both Punkin and Scooter, as well as Simon and Leo, nip at each other. It's just part of being a guinea pig.

Sometimes, pigs will flat out not get along and cannot be together. Sometimes, you will get pigs that will cohabitate peacefully but that's about it. And sometimes, you get pigs that adore each other. My first two cohabitated somewhat peacefully. I have been lucky with the last four but that's not to say that there haven't been bumps in the road.

My point is, unless they are drawing blood they can live peacefully together. Even if they aren't the best of friends, they will appreciate each others company. Sometimes that's all you can hope for. But it comes down to each individual pigs personality and it's going to take much longer than two months to see where they will go. What I WILL say is that if they haven't drawn blood in two months, they will live together just fine.
I appreciate your advice. I’ve had many pets but never had Guinea Pigs before. I’m really glad I came across this website! I’m keeping faith they will grow closer but based on what you’ve said, it sounds like they are being normal Guinea Pig sisters lol.

Thanks

One thing you should check is the size of the cage. If you bought one from a pet store, it's a good bet that it's not large enough for two guinea pigs. Two sows will need a minimum of eight square feet, and more is better.

One thing you should check is the size of the cage. If you bought one from a pet store, it's a good bet that it's not large enough for two guinea pigs. Two sows will need a minimum of eight square feet, and more is better.
I did consider this idea too. We definitely have one big enough for two of them. It’s like a double-decker and has 4 platforms for them to go to. So they can definitely get space when they need it.

Thanks for the advice!

Just FYI, platforms aren't very good for guinea pigs. They need a large flat surface to run around on. They've got eyes on the sides of their head, like horses, so can't estimate distance very well, and tend to be wary of ramps. Also, having that many levels gives them far fewer opportunities to interact, so if you want them to be friends, you'd be much better off with just level, or one big level and a smaller kitchen on the second.

Just FYI, platforms aren't very good for guinea pigs. They need a large flat surface to run around on. They've got eyes on the sides of their head, like horses, so can't estimate distance very well, and tend to be wary of ramps. Also, having that many levels gives them far fewer opportunities to interact, so if you want them to be friends, you'd be much better off with just level, or one big level and a smaller kitchen on the second.
Sorry, I wasn’t specific. More accurately speaking, it has two platforms, and two main floors.

Also for an update, they have been getting much closer over the last couple days since my original post!

Peanut and Cocopuff have been spending more time cuddled together and now they are acting more like the sisters we were expecting them to be when we got them! It really was just the pregnancy before, and they just needed literally like a day or two lol.

So happy to see them getting along! Thank you and Guinea Pig Papa for all the advice, much appreciated. I know where to go for questions.

Expect them to have disagreements again when one or the other goes into heat. That can happen with sows and may have been the issue post birth, as giving birth does make them go into heat.

Some sows just have more hormonal related behaviours then others.

On a side note there is no reason to separate a pregnant sow from her female cage mate if space is not an issue and no blood has been drawn. Some stress from minor nipping or irritation certainly doesn't outweigh the stress of being alone.

Expect them to have disagreements again when one or the other goes into heat. That can happen with sows and may have been the issue post birth, as giving birth does make them go into heat.

Some sows just have more hormonal related behaviours then others.

On a side note there is no reason to separate a pregnant sow from her female cage mate if space is not an issue and no blood has been drawn. Some stress from minor nipping or irritation certainly doesn't outweigh the stress of being alone.
Noted! Great advice, thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.