Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Boars getting to know each other.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm new to the community and a new piggy mommy. I had guinea pigs when I was little, but my parents did most of the work so this is my first real experience. I've got two boars. Bernie and Bert. Bert is the newbie. He was returned by a customer (I work at Petco) with nerve damage to his front leg (he walks on his wrist and it's super sad/cute.) Petco could not sell him with this "imperfection" and he was going to be put down if not adopted out. I had to take him home and I knew that Bernie would be happier with a friend. I have a 2x3 C&C cage (I know this is the minimum requirement for two pigs, but I did not expect to get another quite so soon) and I changed all the bedding before introducing them to the cage. They did well in their out-of-cage meetings. There were (and have not been) any signs of aggression besides a lot of humping, minor teeth chattering and rumble-strutting on Bernie's part. I just feel bad for poor Bert. He has not shrieked at all, but his squeaking is pretty constant with Bernie being all over him.

To those of you with boars, I was wondering how long I can expect this behavior to persist. I know that there will always be some signs of dominance/dispute. I'm just hoping that they will get more comfortable (and that Bert will quiet down a little bit!!!)

P.S. Here's a pic of the boys enjoying some kale! Bernie is on the left and Bert is on the right.

Attachments

IMG_20121023_010637.jpg

Silver_mist

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!
Your boys are incredibly cute by the way. Sorry i couldn't help more, i wish you luck though.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Aw, thanks! They are very sweet. Just driving me nuts with the constant squeaking right now!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
How old are your cute boys? Puberty is a rocky time, so if they're around that age, there could be dominance challenges for a while. You're okay as long as no one is drawing blood. It's worse if you separate them, then try to reintroduce them later.

I'm so glad you got Bert. Poor little guy! Does your Petco at least try to adopt out returned pets before putting them down? The one near me takes pigs and other rodents, whether or not purchased there, and adopts them out in return for a donation to their charity fund. That's how I got my Quinn (nothing wrong with her, someone just didn't want her anymore and dumped her off at the store).

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
How old are your cute boys? Puberty is a rocky time, so if they're around that age, there could be dominance challenges for a while. You're okay as long as no one is drawing blood. It's worse if you separate them, then try to reintroduce them later.

I'm so glad you got Bert. Poor little guy! Does your Petco at least try to adopt out returned pets before putting them down? The one near me takes pigs and other rodents, whether or not purchased there, and adopts them out in return for a donation to their charity fund. That's how I got my Quinn (nothing wrong with her, someone just didn't want her anymore and dumped her off at the store).

I'm not sure how old they are but they are definitely under a year. My guess would be maybe 5 months? They do seem fine and it's pretty evident that Bernie is going to be the dominant piggy. Bert hasn't even attempted to mount him. I'll just have to do my best to tune out all the squeaking. I'm hoping it's just because he's new and nervous and not that he's just a LOUD pig, though I suppose that's possible.

My Petco does adopt animals out, but we're a very large store and often overstocked. I guess he'd been there for about 2 1/2 weeks and no one wanted him. An associate texted me asking if I'd take him because he was scheduled to be put down the next day. I had no idea he was even there and I rushed in.

Kfowler5

Cavy Slave
We just recently got a new boar to pair with our 3 yr old after his cagemate had passed and they rumble strutted off and on at eachother for about a week. No actual fights but I agree about the puberty thing. Our new addition is right around 7 months and he likes to try to be the tough on, especially at salad time! But after the first week they were fine with eachother. Still occasional rumbles but from my experience boars will always rumble at eachother periodically.
Sorry if this isn't much help. But I hope they start becoming best friends, looks like they are already on their way since they are sharing that kale.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Still occasional rumbles but from my experience boars will always rumble at eachother periodically.
That's not even limited to boars. Amy still rumbles at Quinn quite a bit, even though they get along pretty good and have never drawn blood. Seems like some piggies are just rumbly, like my cranky girl.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
We just recently got a new boar to pair with our 3 yr old after his cagemate had passed and they rumble strutted off and on at eachother for about a week. No actual fights but I agree about the puberty thing. Our new addition is right around 7 months and he likes to try to be the tough on, especially at salad time! But after the first week they were fine with eachother. Still occasional rumbles but from my experience boars will always rumble at eachother periodically.
Sorry if this isn't much help. But I hope they start becoming best friends, looks like they are already on their way since they are sharing that kale.

Thanks! They probably do just need some more time. It's really just all the squeaking from Bert that is getting to me, but I'm sure he's just extra nervous because he's in a new home.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Hi again. So the boys have been together for a little over a week now. There's hardly any mounting any more and they do seem to be getting along a bit better. They even share one of the houses sometimes. I'm just concerned because I have seen them jump at each other and Bert showed his teeth once. No one has been bitten and when they jump at each other they separate right after and go separate directions. Is this serious enough to separate them? Or should I just keep a close eye when I can and give them more time? I think Bert is still scared and not used to his environment. Bernie used to be the one rumbling and now Bert does it more. I just don't want them to hurt each other :(

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Is it time to think about separating?

Hello all,
I posted about a week and a half ago. I have two boars, both under one year old. Bernie I've had for a month and a half and Bert I've had for a week and a half. For the first week there was a lot of mounting and rumblestrutting on Bernie's part, but no further aggression. Now, Bernie no longer mounts and rarely rumblestruts, but Bert has shown his teeth once or twice (he's still very skittish) and they've jumped at each other a couple times. After they jump they immediately separate/run away and from what I can see no one has been bitten. Is this serious enough to separate? Do boars ever play like this? I'm just worried because I work a lot and can't always be keeping an eye out.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Re: Is it time to think about separating?

It's just "fake biting" through lunging, they are trying to threaten each other. Mine do it all the time without actually biting, though one shrieks like she was.
Only separate if there is bloodshed, or too much dominance behavior preventing one from eating properly.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave

It's just "fake biting" through lunging, they are trying to threaten each other. Mine do it all the time without actually biting, though one shrieks like she was.
Only separate if there is bloodshed, or too much dominance behavior preventing one from eating properly.

Okay, thank you! I feel better. Bert never stops squeaking and Bernie is basically silent. Drama queen.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave

This is off topic (sorry!) but the pig in your Avatar looks identical to my girl Sybil! I did a double take when I looked at your avatar :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.