Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance New pig intro, old friends start chasing each other PLEASE REPLY!!!

MyPigs=MyLife

Cavy Slave
I recently joined this forum in hope that this behavior is normal. I have four guineas at the moment, Peanut and Sunny (Together) Mary (Newest Pig) and Pepe (Who has refused every friend we have gotten her over the past 4 years)
So Peanut and Sunny were together since they were babies. And i have recently adopted Mary, a skinny pig, and tried to introduce them. I have divider in the cage at the moment, and Sunny and Mary seem to be quite good, but Peanut is going around and rumble strutting besides Mary. The both rumble besides each other and then Peanut will Hump, chase and rumble and Sunny! I have never seen this before as they are such a good pair. If anyone has had this problem before, let me know.
Also, if anyone knows if i should put them together without the divider, let me know as well. I feel bad for Mary, without fur, she is unable to protect her skin. It’s kinda ridiculou, but should i put a sweater on her? Like a sock? Thank you!

Also, IK some people will see that Pepe is alone, but i have tried everything!! New baby pig, old pig, the pigs i have now, she has drawn blood almost every time.
Tips are welcome.

Peanut and Sunny are in a carrier, thats not there cage lol
Mary is a rescue, Some people say shes ugly, but i think shes perfect. ❤️
Sweetest pigs, just need time i hope.

Attachments

Mary ❤️.jpeg Floofy Peanut & Sunny.jpeg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, "normal" depends on a lot of things.

For starters, how did you introduce them?

And next, how large is the cage?

MyPigs=MyLife

Cavy Slave
The cage is 2x5
I plan to upgrade soon, to a 3x7 diy c&c

Also I put them together in a new environment and Sunny was fine with her, but peanut would lunge, never drawing any blood. They day went on and I could no longer watch them, so they have been in dividers since then,

MyPigs=MyLife

Cavy Slave
The cage is 2x5
I plan to upgrade soon, to a 3x7 diy c&c

Also I put them together in a new environment and Sunny was fine with her, but peanut would lunge, never drawing any blood. They day went on and I could no longer watch them, so they have been in dividers since then,
Oh sorry I mean 3x6!!!!

MyPigs=MyLife

Cavy Slave
I want to explain more about Pepè in the future, I have reas that some pigs are better when introduced to a group, so maybe if Mary works out, I will try Pepè with them in the future.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, a 2x5 is not nearly large enough for four pigs. In fact, I wouldn't put more than two in a cage that size. Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression.

Also, introducing one or more pigs to an established pair is very likely to break the bond between the pair. It may or may not work, but it takes a lot of time in a very large neutral area, and even then, things may be rough for a while. The last time I introduced a new pig to a pair, I watched them in the neutral area for about 8-10 hours before putting them in the cage. And that was a 16 square-foot cage for three pigs.

Also, if you didn't thoroughly clean the cage, including wiping down the bars and cleaning everything in the cage, you guaranteed that things wouldn't go well. There should be absolutely no smell of any of the guinea pigs in the new cage, and the furniture placement should be different than it was when some of them were living in it before.

It may also help to put fleece forests or strips of fleece strategically across the length of the cage so the pigs can't always see each other.

MyPigs=MyLife

Cavy Slave
I have two pigs, Peanut and Sunny, and I’m introducing one more, Mary, Pepè is not being introduced. Also, I did wipe down the cage

MyPigs=MyLife

Cavy Slave
Ok, well thank you! I will try again, and upgrade the cage, I have extra grids

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry I misunderstood the number of pigs.

But if you do try again, do it when you have a whole day to devote to it. Put nothing in the neutral area except piles of food scattered around. And don't put them in the cage until they're tired enough to need a nap.

Also, a buddy bath right before you put them in the cage might help. That means all the pigs in the bath at the same time, not one after the other. The idea is that the shared terror of the bath makes them forget their animosity to each other.

And after they're thoroughly dry and before you put them in the cage, put a teeny drop of vanilla on each nose and tail. That may confuse them enough to give them time to settle in.

Good luck!

MyPigs=MyLife

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! Your kindness is really appreciated.
And the cage size, it’s a c&c and the grates are about 15 inches and I have 2x5
Hope that’s big enough.
Again thank you for taking the time to respond and help me out. This forum is amazing and such a wonderful help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd want at least a 2x6 for three pigs, and larger would be better.