Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Don’t know what to do :(

• Thread starter sillybillydillywillysilly
  • Start date

sillybillydillywillysilly

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I have a single piggy named Snowball
lately I have been thinking of rehoming her because I’m not able to get her needs :( I have tried asking for another piggy friend for her so she isn’t lonely, but my mom doesn’t want another one and has stated so.. so I can’t..
I’ve tried asking if I could rehome her twice and my mom passed it off as I was being too hard on myself and she’s happy, but I know she isn’t :( Guinea pigs are social animals and need a buddy to bond and be a happy piggy and I have told her.. but no luck..
I feel so bad because I don’t want her to be lonely and become depressed, I don’t want her to have an unhappy life.. I want her to be happy.. :( but I can’t do anything.. I want to give her a better and happy home but I can’t :(( I don’t know what to do

That's a tough situation. Maybe writing down your points and giving them to your mom would help?
How old is Snowball?

Is your guinea pig actually lonely? I ask because I have had single females that were quite happy and healthy on their own. Right now I have Millie, and she is doing very well on her own.

They need to be active and have things to do and things to learn. For example, I rearrange the cage and hiding places each day so Millie has to explore and memorize all the pathways to food and hideys.. I put chopped veggies in a treat ball that she rolls around to get the treats out. I have a snuffle mat that I put grass or veggies in and she has to dig and forage. And now I’m teaching her how to “circle” for a treat.

A single pig needs more enrichment and attention, but it’s possible for them to have a good life on their own.

I would probably present her several reasons why Guinea pigs need to have a companion. That might convince her.