Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

bio catolet as bedding safe or not?

manda

Cavy Slave
Is it just me or does using shavings make your house stink too? I work and have two kids,dogs etc.. so could only manage to clean out guinea cage every 3 days it's a pretty big cage too. I've found a product called 'bio catolet' it's a cat litter product suitable for rodents and am very pleased........day 3 and still no smell! I sent the manufacturers an e-mail to make sure it was safe as my guinea's had the occasional nibble of it, they said it was fine as long as they didn't eat too much (too much will cause their tummies to swell) Can anyone advise me on another product that will reduce smells and be totally safe?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
They don't smell at all. In fact, they should not. If they do, it means a stinky odor for you, but it also means a build-up of toxins in the cage. What size cage do you have? What bedding are you using now? The best in the UK I've heard of is Magzorb, something like carefresh. It is a paper bedding that is safe. Aspen bedding is also a great choice.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
you should try carefresh. any cat litter type product (or any product that clumps when wet) should be avoided for piggies because like you mentioned, they like to eat a little. the swelling in their stomach, simply put, is caused because cat litter is made to clump when wet. this may be happening inside your piggies tummies, so i would switch right away.

i always test new bedding i try out.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
I just switched to Crown Animal bedding which is recycled paper pellets. It's very absorbent, safe and easy to clean. Every day I spend only 10 minutes and scoop up the wet spots and the beans and the cage is clean. I used to use Aspen which works fine and didn't smell, but somehow it managed to get everywhere and I was vaccuuming every day.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
I thought that pellets were bad for their feet??

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
The pellets are ok, they're just a bit rougher than the usual bedding. I personally prefer to use bedding that is fluffy and soft, so I don't think that's the greatest, at least for me. It's not really awful or anything though! =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.