Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Rehoming or not?

g3cko

Cavy Gazer
Hey, so I have two guinea pigs that are both a month and a half old- and the past two weeks have been really difficult for me. I’m usually great with animals, as an autistic person I always connected more to them than humans, but both Guinea’s seem to despise me no matter WHAT I do. One of them is very aggressive- biting both me and his brother consistently. (I am very conscious of how I hold him, how I pick him up, not chasing him around the cage with my hand, being calm and quiet, etc) and I don’t know how to make the two of them stop fighting- I currently can’t afford another cage nor do I have enough ROOM to separate them. The other one is generally docile- he’s okay with me picking him up, he eats out of my hand, sweet and calm, and he’s very nice. However- he’s up every night being extremely vocal from the hours of 12-5am and because of how loud it is I find myself needing to wear noise canceling earbuds or I wake up feeling instantly overwhelmed and in most cases crying. I don’t want to put the cage in the garage- it’s so hot and it’s summer right now and so cold when it’s winter, or the crawl space as it’s infested with mice and I fear they might try and steal the food or even bite the piggies. I’ve decided I’m will definitely going to be rehoming the aggressive one- I don’t have enough time or knowledge to help raise him to be a little less hot headed- but I don’t know what to do with piggy number 2. (Sherman) he’s very sweet- but my mom says if I’m not allowed to replace (I hate using the word) piggy 1 (Peabody). I’m trying to decide if I should rehome both of them- or only Peabody. I know Guinea’s can’t thrive alone- and I want what’s best for them. I’m trying really hard, spending a lot of my money, and none of it seems to be working. I’m on a mental health decline because of my lack of sleep, and I don’t know what to do. I’d really appreciate any advice as I’m fifteen and still learning- and I’m doing this all alone. Thank you

I empathize with you and understand completely how stressful it is when piggies don’t get along.

I actually had a similar situation a few weeks ago with two “bonded” sisters I adopted from a rescue. They were about 3 months old, and the first night with me they got into a screaming, rolling brawl. I had to throw towels on them numerous times to stop the fight. They pulled chunks of hair out and there was blood. I divided the cage, which made it too small for either one, but I couldn’t allow more bloodshed. They chattered, chewed the bars, tried to bite each other through the bars, and were very hard to handle. One was hiding all the time and the other was agressive.

After numerous texts with the rescue, the foster took them back and agreed to keep them separated. Otherwise, I would have kept the one that was getting beat up, just to protect her. The foster was clueless. When she saw them fight she thought they were playing.

If you like the one that is easier to handle, I would recommend keeping him and rehoming the other. It is recommended to have two, but I have had single girls and they were very active and happy. Plan to interact more and provide activities so he is not bored. In my opinion, being single and safe is better than fighting each day. That is stressful and leads to behavior and mental health issues.

At some point, when your parents see how responsible you are, maybe you will be able to get a second one. But if you have one that is happy, healthy, and active, why rock the boat?