Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Wood toys - safe to chew?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Of all my boys, only Walter likes these wood toys. I have this for all my guinea pigs, and he loves to toss it around or just sit there and chew on it (that's the habit that I'm not sure about). I got him and my new hamster this last night. He immediately took to nibbling on it. My question is if it's okay to let him just sit there and nibble on it, or should I be limiting this? Idk if he's actually eating/ingesting the wood. He also has some Oxbow dangling toys, but he doesn't care for them unless I set them in the cage instead of hang them.

He also has a wood house/hide from Small Pet Select, but he doesn't chew on it like he does the toys.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m always leary about wood toys. I even have an apple tree and I’ve given apple sticks to previous guinea pigs but I don’t know if that’s a good idea either. It just seems like they could get a splinter in their gums.

I think I saw something that GuineaDad sells made from a special wood that doesn’t splinter.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pine splinters, badly. Apple, not so much, nor any other fruit tree.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Walter does like apple sticks, but he becomes bored with them once all the bark is chewed off.