Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Anyone own a merino guinea pig?

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
I was looking up breeds and came across a merino guinea pig. It said they were quite rare, and are like texels, is this true? They look really cute and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them, as I haven't really heard of them before. I read that they are texels with crests on their heads. Thanks in advance.:)

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
I wanted to add does anyone own a merino guinea pig, are they not common?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're not very common. If you google them, you'll find some pictures and some information about their coats.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Like this one? They are adorable! It's rare that an Abby even shows up in shelters where I live, so I doubt I'll ever see one in person :)

Mini Muh | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Piggypuppylove, Yes I think so they are cute. I didn't even know that merino was a breed at first that's why I wanted to find out if it was. I suppose they are like texels but with crests.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've never seen one but the one thing with the specialty breeds is that when they're bred for specific characteristics, they often end up with a lot of other genetic problems or unfavorable characteristics. Hairless guinea pigs are a good example of that. They have a higher metabolism and may have a lower immune system. My observation has been the mixed breeds and Americans tend to be healthier and longer living. There are exceptions to that, of course, but you see the same thing in dogs, too. Terriers are really cute but since they were originally bred as rodent killers, that characteristic is still inborn in them.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Thanks pinky, I did not realise that about speciality breeds. I have been looking for a piggy lately at rescues and I did not realise that a lot of them may have genetic problems. Which breeds exactly have this problem are you able to tell if you know the guinea pigs past?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thanks pinky, I did not realise that about speciality breeds. I have been looking for a piggy lately at rescues and I did not realise that a lot of them may have genetic problems. Which breeds exactly have this problem are you able to tell if you know the guinea pigs past?

It's hard to say. I would never buy a pig from a breeder because they are breeding for specific physical characteristics. The ones I adopted through our rescue that came from a "reputable" breeder who passed away had issues; mainly skin conditions. My Pikachu (my photo on the left) was the longest survivor out of the group that came into our rescue. I took in three from that group and all three had skin issues that I had to have treated. Pikachu suffered from cysts. Another one was very nervous and a barberer. I could never house Pikachu with another guinea pig because she was extremely aggressive....but very sweet with us. I just think that when you look for a guinea pig as a pet, disposition and personality are the two most important things to look for if you plan to house them with another guinea pig or you want one that bonds with you. I think some of that is learned behavior, some is early interaction with humans and the rest is genetically passed along. There's nothing wrong with looking for one that you find pleasing to the eye, but hold them and others to compare and see what they're really like so this ends up being the pet that you will be content to keep for the remainder of its life. Don't go by looks alone.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Thanks pinky, I need to find a guinea pig that matches personality with my other 5, as I have enough room for 1 more piggy and hopefully all goes well so they can stay living together. It is the personality that matters over the looks of the guinea pig like you said, and I'm sorry for your loss I'm sure pikachu was a great piggy.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thanks pinky, I need to find a guinea pig that matches personality with my other 5, as I have enough room for 1 more piggy and hopefully all goes well so they can stay living together. It is the personality that matters over the looks of the guinea pig like you said, and I'm sorry for your loss I'm sure pikachu was a great piggy.

I loved Pikachu.... but, boy, did she hate the other guinea pigs. She'd have killed them if she had the chance. Her cage was kept near the doorway to our kitchen so she could watch us eat dinner, etc. She'd eat while we did. I think she probably thought she was human. I have another teddy right now named Wolfbane. She's a really good example of a cute guinea pig with an odd personality. She's really scared of everything. I'd say she's probably the most timid guinea pig I've ever had. Her head is really small so we think there might be some sort of "issue" with her, too. I would imagine that someone who hasn't owned many guinea pigs would be really unhappy with her because she's not sociable. I just accept her for what she is and never give her any reason to be afraid. Sometimes, we just put her veggies in a corner so she doesn't have to come out in the open and be nervous while she eats.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Your pikachu was probably confused why she wasn't at the table eatinglol sorry about your teddy, she might just be really nervous and hopefully nothing is wrong with her. It is a shame about all these piggies that have been born with problems.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Your pikachu was probably confused why she wasn't at the table eatinglol sorry about your teddy, she might just be really nervous and hopefully nothing is wrong with her. It is a shame about all these piggies that have been born with problems.

I think they're no different than humans. You have all different backgrounds, personalities, upbringings that mold and shape who they are. Some people get along with everyone, others have a chip on their shoulders. Is one person better than another? No, everyone is just different and they all have something to contribute.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
I think they're no different than humans. You have all different backgrounds, personalities, upbringings that mold and shape who they are. Some people get along with everyone, others have a chip on their shoulders. Is one person better than another? No, everyone is just different and they all have something to contribute.
Yes it's like no matter how different each guinea pig is they deserve to be treated as an equal and looked after properly.

belles_cavies

Cavy Gazer
I wanted to add does anyone own a merino guinea pig, are they not common?
I have six, they are similar to texel except they have a coronet (crest), they are pretty much the rex version of a coronet. they are bred with texels to avoid extra rosettes and arent very common.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I don't one one, but they seem like very pretty piggies!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.