Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Adopting may be harder then I thought?

jayval

Cavy Slave
So as you know Twix had to be put down last week. Was hoping to maybe adopt in September. I am working with one rescue where they will adopt out single pigs 8 months and older, so that may still work :) Yeah!!

I had a strong interest in a pig very close to my house, for availability in September, which is perfect timing for us, and is so adorable!!! But, this rescue will not adopt out babies or young pigs at all for single pig families :(

So, Im thinking this is the reason most people just go to pet stores, because I was so excited about adopting, but most of the pigs I see have to be adopted together, or if adopted they will need a cage mate. There are very few pigs to adopt as a single pig. I understand pigs are herding animals, etc, but that is the one rule I was bent on. We always had Twix alone, and he was an extremely happy pig. I'm a stay at home mom that can devote alot of attn. I dont leave my pig home for 8 hours on end to go to work.

Having more then one pig is just not the right fit for now for our family, so really, is it better to just leave pigs unadopted????? Am I not to get one at all. This is why most people will cave, go to a pet store 5minutes away, and pick what they want. I am not giving up yet, but am already getting frustrated by the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Is there a particular reason you can't adopt two? If you adopt a pair their already 'bonded' so you don't have to deal with introductions.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
After witnessing a pig (who had been alone and "happy" for 7 years) interact with other pigs for the first time (even though they are not in the same cage, but she can see and hear them), I understand why rescues require two. I always believed that two was best, but now I know how important it is. It is important for their mental health and emotional health to be able to communicate with others of their own species.

Have you considered adopting a species that does live alone as opposed to one that lives in herds? There are plenty of small mammals that you could chose from that would fit that lifestyle.

jayval

Cavy Slave
Like what a hamster?? No thanks. We loved our guinea pig, and he was amazing. We wanted another guinea pig. I understand what you mean, but many many people do not have 2 or more pigs. If we get 2, its a larger expense, and though we have the money, we do not feel its a great fit for our family.

Such as we only have one child. I also do not have the space. And honestly loved just having one guinea pig, but if its that unhealthy for them, honestly, Im completely done. I jsut have no interest in having 2 pigs. I loved having my baby Twix. No more animals for us. We almost had a dog, but my daughter is allergic, my hubby and I are not into cat hair, and we fell in love with Twix. Was hoping to save a pig, but I guess that can be someone elses job. I am beyond frustrated at the moment.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You could get a rabbit or a hedgie

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
There are other species besides hamsters that are okay on their own.

I don't understand why you would be frustrated? The rescues are just looking out for the best interest of their pigs.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You could get a rabbit or a hedgie

Rabbits are like guinea pigs in that they are much happier with a friend. Many, if not most, people do keep them on their own, but rabbits are often even more social than guinea pigs, since they groom and snuggle with their buddy much more than most piggies do. Hedgehogs and hamsters are typically better alone, but nearly all other small pets benefit from a friend.

jayval

Cavy Slave
There is a time when people become a little overly obsessed about what is right and wrong. So its better in your opinion to just have an over abundance of pigs with no home, then raising one pig? Its like adoptions where you cant adopt a dog unless your child is six. Its gets a little crazy. Honestly, thats why most people will just go to the pet store.

Sorry. You dont understand why Im frustrated.:( I just lost our favoroite pet one week ago!! He is gone. And can not be replaced. Trying to find another to love, and have to go thru this...really?! Forget it. No more animals for us. We can not have hedge hogs in my state. I dont have room for a large hopping, biting, rabbit. We love Guinea pigs!!! LOL

pigger123

Cavy Slave
There are very good reasons that the rescue doesn't want their pigs to live alone. Just like how there's a reason that dog rescues would rather not adopt a dog out to a 2-year-old who pulls their tail and screams at them. If you don't want to meet the needs of your guinea pig by giving them a friend, than maybe it is better that you don't get one.

jayval

Cavy Slave
Is there a particular reason you can't adopt two? If you adopt a pair their already 'bonded' so you don't have to deal with introductions.

I dont know. For us, we just Loved having and caring, and giving all our attn to One. Just like someone that has one dog, and not two. Also, I didnt want to find an area for a bigger cage, and many more expenses, with vet care etc. We were so happy raising one pig. And less mess. We just again loved having one. I cant see me being happy with 2.

jayval

Cavy Slave
There are very good reasons that the rescue doesn't want their pigs to live alone. Just like how there's a reason that dog rescues would rather not adopt a dog out to a 2-year-old who pulls their tail and screams at them. If you don't want to meet the needs of your guinea pig by giving them a friend, than maybe it is better that you don't get one.

Exactly!! So I will just let the pig sit in a pet store or be overcrowded in a foster home. And really, many two yr olds do not pull dogs tails. Just because many parents are irresponsible shouldnt be other peoples fault, but thats another story. Pet stores will continue to flourish as long as rescues stay as strict as they are. Honest truth. My pig Twix, had a great great life, so please never underestimate how I treat my pets.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I dont know...For us, we just Loved having and caring, and giving all our attn to One.....Just like someone that has one dog, and not two..Also, I didnt want to find an area for a bigger cage, and many more expenses, with vet care etc....We were so happy raising one pig...And less mess....We just again loved having one..I cant see me being happy with 2....
When I first got into guinea pigs I only had one. Now I have two and I'm actually much happier with two. That just means more love to go around. Besides its not about us its about making them happy. Guinea pigs realy do do much better in pairs. It's always neat watching them two interact with one another.

jayval

Cavy Slave
Rabbits are like guinea pigs in that they are much happier with a friend. Many, if not most, people do keep them on their own, but rabbits are often even more social than guinea pigs, since they groom and snuggle with their buddy much more than most piggies do. Hedgehogs and hamsters are typically better alone, but nearly all other small pets benefit from a friend.

A hamster just wouldnt work for us. Hamsters are not even aware who there pet owners are, I dont think. They only live like 2 years. I will just hold out I guess and adopt an adult single piggie.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I agree, that is why most people go to the pet store. It's because we live in a society of people who put their own desires first and foremost.

I am sorry you lost your pet. Trust me, I understand that feeling. In the past year alone I have lost a guinea pig and two horses. I nearly lost a horse a few weeks ago when she went into liver failure, and I'm giving hospice care to a guinea pig I adopted (the 7 year old) who is suffering from a rapid moving form of cancer. In my life I have lost more animals than you can imagine. It really sucks. But, getting frustrated at others isn't the solution to your pain.

ETA: Hamsters do too know who their owners are. They are amazing pets, if you give them the chance. I know the two year lifespan stinks, but it's two years packed with love.

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
I dont know...For us, we just Loved having and caring, and giving all our attn to One.....Just like someone that has one dog, and not two..Also, I didnt want to find an area for a bigger cage, and many more expenses, with vet care etc....We were so happy raising one pig...And less mess....We just again loved having one..I cant see me being happy with 2....

I started with one girl. She was miserable. Lily bit me and was often cranky. I started searching for reasons and found that she needed a friend. A week and a half after getting Lily I brought Jasmine home and within two days her personality completely changed. It doesn't cost so much extra and you don't need to clean any more often than you do for one with two. I don't make a lot of money and I do just fine =) I want my pets to be happy.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave

It's either you be happy with two, or your one is unhappy. If you are to get another pet, you have to make sure you can take care of him/her to the best of your ability (and put their wants/needs before yours) or I don't think you should get one at all...

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I understand what your going through to I lost Star the reason I'm on this forum this past March. And I lost Bella about 3 years ago at the age of 6 months. I've lost many animals in my short life. I've even had to put some down. It's a very sad time and I think of them always.

jayval

Cavy Slave
When I first got into guinea pigs I only had one. Now I have two and I'm actually much happier with two. That just means more love to go around. Besides its not about us its about making them happy. Guinea pigs realy do do much better in pairs. It's always neat watching them two interact with one another.

I hear ya. But I dont think it will happen for us right now. Maybe I shouldnt get another. But Im telling you Twix had it great, and he loved us!!! Experts can say kids do better with siblings. Others will not. There will always be controversy. its not always true what the research says. Is it a real fact that one guinea pig is really that unhappy with himself???

I find it more cruel to leave 2 guinea pigs alone all day in an empty house while people work. Just my opinion.

jayval

Cavy Slave
It's either you be happy with two, or your one is unhappy. If you are to get another pet, you have to make sure you can take care of him/her to the best of your ability (and put their wants/needs before yours) or I don't think you should get one at all...

You seriously are going to tell me that my one Twix was unhappy????????????? That pig was extrememly happy, always playing and having fun, pocorning...

jayval

Cavy Slave
I started with one girl. She was miserable. Lily bit me and was often cranky. I started searching for reasons and found that she needed a friend. A week and a half after getting Lily I brought Jasmine home and within two days her personality completely changed. It doesn't cost so much extra and you don't need to clean any more often than you do for one with two. I don't make a lot of money and I do just fine =) I want my pets to be happy.

That was not the case for us!...We had him since 4 months old...The pig was never ever cranky..Always happy to interact with me, and popcorning, etc...That pig never ever showed any sign of depression...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.