Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Found a site I wasn't happy with...

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
I'm not usually one to "bash" GP sites. I rarely go looking for them-I usually spend most of my online time here! But this site just really ticked me off!
(broken link removed)
They have bad advice on nutrition, housing, pairing, medical care, and other things. I looked at the site to see if I could contact the maker/author and try to educate them, but there wasn't a link.
I'm just appalled at some of the information on there and new unsuspecting owners don't have a clue that this info is horribly WRONG!

miskaffon

Cavy Slave
I've given a comment that gives a link to cavy cages, but they're editing and proofing every comment before publication. I'd be happy to wager a bet that it will NEVER be published!

Maybe if everyone interested in setting this record straight were to post also, the author may re-think what she's written? It's worth a shot...

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
"Make sure there is at least 2 square feet of space available for each guinea pig."

"Use sawdust, wood shavings (except cedar), straw, hay, or cat litter as bedding for the cage."

"They may also be given treats such as oats, dog biscuits or things such as fruit and grain bars found in pet stores. Salt licks may also be provided..."

"However, males should not be kept together at all, unless they grew up together or there are absolutely no females around"

"Another option as a companion for a guinea pig is a rabbit - particularly dwarf rabbits because they are similar in size"

"Fathers can be left in with the mothers and babies..." [backbreeding]

"If the mother dies then the babies can be hand nursed using milk powder mixed with warm milk and given in an eyedropper"

"Also offer them some milk soaked bread..."

I can't bear to look through any more.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Oh my god. How can someone possibly be so ignorant as to write something that is just NOT TRUE!

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Oh, and i just checked when it was last revised hoping it was like a decade old and the info was just outdated. Boy was i wrong, it was last revised january 7th 2005!

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Hey! This site is cool! I have 4 guinea pigs, and I also have 3 hamsters 3 gerbils, 2 cats, 4 small birds,1 betta and 3 goldfish. I absolutly love animals!! Guinea pigs should be cleaned every 2 days depending on the size of their cage, and should be kept with a companion animal from the start! 2 guinea pigs together work good, but they should be brothers or sisters, or 2 females or 2 males. you can also keep guinea pigs with miniature rabbits. i had 1 of my guinea pigs with 2 miniature bunnys, but had to get rid of the bunnies bcuz of allergies. oh, and guinea pigs should get a piece of romaine lettuce every morning or every night (normal lettuce can hurt them, and large pieces of celery is poisonous, rubarb is also poisonous, and they should always have fresh hay availiable, and a rather large water bottle as they tend to drink alot!! Alycat! 2005-01-01

Hi my name is Jessica! My family bred guinea pigs. We bred them so much that we eventually had 55! We had more babies than mothers. We now only have three guinea pigs and are not allowed to breed them anymore. The reason we have three is because one mother that I'd had for a long time I caught in the wild, a guinea pig I found in a pet shop I begged my dad to get, and my sister begged my dad to get her one. So he did! The mother, who I caught is Autumn 2, the guinea pig I saw in a pet shop I named Sweetheart(she's my favourite), and my sister's guinea pig is named Autumn Blue(to match and rhyme with Autumn 2). We have enjoyed breeding guinea pigs and love the babies that we saw. P.S. I love your little baby Dawn! Mine was white! Jessica Holmlund 2005-05-21
Just look at these 2 comments that people gave to the site. These are the type of people that listen to the info on this false site and then find themselves with "55 guinea pigs". I QUOTE THAT TOO!!!!!How discusting, it makes me sick.Hey everyone what type of lettuce is poisoness to pigs, when you tell, i would sure like to know, because i have NO CLUE! I have NEVER heard of lettuce being poisoness to pigs. Maybe i am just going crazy. Who knows

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Guinea_Gal said:
Just look at these 2 comments that people gave to the site. These are the type of people that listen to the info on this false site and then find themselves with "55 guinea pigs". I QUOTE THAT TOO!!!!!How discusting, it makes me sick.Hey everyone what type of lettuce is poisoness to pigs, when you tell, i would sure like to know, because i have NO CLUE! I have NEVER heard of lettuce being poisoness to pigs. Maybe i am just going crazy. Who knows

Iceberg is not toxic, but should not be fed at all. Only if constipation arises, no other time.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Hi! I have one guinea pig named Muffy. I have had guinea pigs almost my whole life. At school I am known as Guinea girl. Muffy is a white crested guinea pig. I spoil her. She has a great personality so I am looking for a crested male to breed to her. I LOVE GUINEA PIGS! Guinea girl 2005-04-12

i used to have two guinea pigs. They lived for 4 years and two years until my cat gave them a cold and basically killed them... but now i have a new guinea pig and its albino and its SOOO cute Becky 2005-04-11

I have had a guinea pig for about 2 years, and am getting another one next week. Guinea pigs are my favorite animal of all times, and my friends at school call me "the guinea pig girl". Also, if you are thinking about getting one, they are docile, loveable creatures who are great pets. Annie O. 2005-04-10
I am sorry for posting so many of these idiots comments who are actually getting information from this crap site, but i just can't control myself. What is wrong with these people? Do i need to say more. my mouth is still hanging open. . .

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
But no type of lettuce can actually hurt pigs, right.

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
I submitted a "comment" telling them that they need to correct their information... I tried to make it sound as nice as possible; hopefully by being courteous they may listen! Doubtful, but I figured it was worth a shot. I pity all the pigs whose owners garner information from this misinformed site...

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
It is nearly impossible to research cavies and not come across this page. It is the first site to come up on Google when 'cavy' is put in, and is on the second page when you type in 'guinea pig'.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Guinea Gal. I know you mean well but please stop copying the comments, or any other part, of a webpage and directly posting it on the board. Websites are protected by copyright laws and there could potentially be problems.

If you were to just provide a link to the comments that would be fine. Or you could paraphrase the comment, website or post. Paraphrasing is rewriting the comments, post, etc in your own words. It will mean the same thing but no copyright laws are breached.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
people! look at thier main site( https://animal-world.com/ ) not that individual page. He has an email address listed: [email protected]

This site was updated the 22nd this month so we know it is active and we CAN change this.

And if you look in the forums listed on that page its even worse!

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
Alright everyone. On the forum ive started talking to a friend of the site owner. Please help me give him the correct information. He seems interested in correcting this so do gimmie a hand ^__^/)

(broken link removed)

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's quite a lot of bad information. You'd think that someone with internet access & the ability to put a site together would be able to do research about basic care. I wonder what their sources are?

Matt & Guins

Cavy Slave
Setsuna said:
Alright everyone. On the forum ive started talking to a friend of the site owner. Please help me give him the correct information. He seems interested in correcting this so do gimmie a hand ^__^/)

(broken link removed)

Hey, I just read the reply on the forum where you write

Also the male babies should be removed after 21 days do prevent inbreeding which may lead to Lethal whites.

I just want to clear up that inbreeding is not the cause for "lethal" whites. You can only get such babies from roan or dalmation breedings - and it has nothing to do with repeated inbreeding.

Matt

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I just left a post there. Personally, I'm very confused about the whole thing since a moderator recommended guinea lynx. *sigh*

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Voodoo joint. I am sorry about that. I didn't think. From now omn i'll remember.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
Dog biscuts!?!?!?! Aren't those only meant for what they are called, Dogs? I would never even consider giving Cinnamon and Coco a dog biscut.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I've heard that they can be given to hamsters, but never to guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.