Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Females aren't eating much?

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
So before I post the pictures, I just want to say two things. 1. I know piggies aren't supposed to have colorful bits in their food. I'm weening them from the stuff their previous owners used to feed them to Oxbow, and 2. The females are in their spare cage while I currently clean theirs.

So every Wednesday I do a thorough cleaning of the cages, and I noticed my females aren't eating nearly as much as I believe they should.

My males only have this much food after a week: (top picture, sorry for poor lighting)
And my females have only eaten this much in the last week: (bottom picture)

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I may need to do to get them to eat more pellets?

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1422485978367.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1422486052014.jpg
Do they have 24/7 hay? Just wondering. Maybe you should just feed them Oxbow, and see how it goes. Did you mix the Oxbow in? If so, your piggies might only be eating the Oxbow and leaving everything else out. If they have the correct amount of hay and vegetables, they won't need pellets that much, and they probably won't eat them as much.
It doesn't seem like your pigs are sick, unless you've noticed any unusual behavior. Do they eat everything else normally? Are your girls losing weight?

I'm not quite sure what you should do right now, except making sure they are eating veggies and hay normally.

Oh yes, definitely. They always have hay. I tried feeding them just Oxbow and they wouldn't touch it at all. That's all I feed my boys and they're just fine with it, so I got the unhealthy food and mixed a small amount in with the Oxbow, and they'll eat very small amounts now, but just that: very small amounts. I'll keep an eye on them and continue to make sure they have hay. Thank you! :)

With hay and fresh veggies, pellets aren't such a big deal. I wouldn't worry too much.

I knew I could always go pelletless, but I just wanna make sure my babies are nice and full :) lol

My girls didn't eat many pellets when I got them. They makeup for it now! I think of the pellets as more of a supplement anyway. Hay and veggies are the staples.

Okay, that makes me feel better. Thank you!

Weaning isn't necessary, you can switch them cold turkey.
Pellets aren't a super important part of their diet. Some people dont even feed them, and just give occasional supplements. nothing to worry about as long as they have unlimited hay

I'd like to keep them with pellets, they just wouldn't eat the new stuff without the old mixed in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.