Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Sludge and has stopped eating and pooping

Shoebox

Cavy Gazer
Hello all, I fear this is an emergency but I don't have access to a vet for at least several days due to the holiday. I'm in a rural area in the USA.

Basically my 5 year old female seems to be unable to poop because of urinary sludge.

She was diagnosed with sludge 3 days ago by an exotic vet and now she's barely eating or drinking water, not pooping, still urinating lots of blood, and began straining. Before the vet appointment, her energy and appetite had been surprisingly normal but I took her due to the blood in her urine and squeaking when she pees. But after she started the meds, she stopped eating and now has stopped pooping for 12+ hours. She'd never had health issues before in her life. I had suspected a stone because there was/is visible swelling/enlargement of some kind right above her vulva feeling like a lump under the skin, but the vet said the radiograph opacity did not appear to be a stone and diagnosed sludge instead.

I'm very worried that it appears whatever sludge or stone is there has become a blockage pressing on her digestion to prevent her from pooping. Her abdomen does not feel hard or seem distended, but she does seem to be in more pain despite the meloxicam.

I had been syringe feeding her a bit of Critical Care and water along with her meds, afraid of stasis after she mostly stopped eating, but that seems dangerous to continue to feed her if she's not able to pass it. What should I do at this point?

I can give more details but not sure what is relevant and wanted to begin to ask as soon as possible. Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Edit to add: The meds she was prescribed are meloxicam, hydrochlorizide, and potassium citrate. At first I thought she just started drinking less because she didn't like the taste of the potassium citrate granules in her water, but she didn't resume drinking properly even after I discontinued that and the diuretic as the vet suggested.

Last edited:

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer
Hi can anyone help. My piggie seems to store his poop. At night and in the morning i clear his bum. He normally has about 8 poops that all look healthly and normal. But am wondering his hes having trouble passing them. He is 4 and his brother is fine. Thanks

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I've never had it happen to any of my boars before, but I have heard that some boars do develop problems passing stools as they get older, especially if they tend to be lazy fellows who don't get a lot of exercise. My best friend's mom had a pig lat that, and the only thing to do was just clean him out every day.

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you checked him for impaction? You should be checking at least weekly, and cleaning when necessary?

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer
Have you checked him for impaction? You should be checking at least weekly, and cleaning when necessary?
hi hi poops are all normal and healthly. nut noticed since yesterday his bum wet and there a lot of fluid when am cleaning him its dripping all the time and chalky white this is new. I cant work it out but its worrying me. he Recently had blood in urine but has had antibotics twice daily for 3 weeks. I thought he better. but now all this is happening. Thanks guys

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
With those symptoms, he should go back to the vet to get an x-ray asap. He could have urinary stones.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
With those symptoms, he should go back to the vet to get an x-ray asap. He could have urinary stones.
Agreed. These are classic symptoms. Don't wait, get him back in and get checked.

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer
I
ITs possibly but he got better with antibiotics. Could this effect his bowel as well as i feel hes syoring them and am cleaning him. Thamks for advice its nice to get advice

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I

ITs possibly but he got better with antibiotics. Could this effect his bowel as well as i feel hes syoring them and am cleaning him. Thamks for advice its nice to get advice
The chalky white fluid that is dripping all the time is most likely urine with calcium sludge in it. Urinary incontinence and the fact that he's having trouble passing stools are both BIG warning signs that are VERY commonly associated with urinary stones. Stones are especially dangerous for boars, because even a small stone can block their narrow urethras. I would know; I've had to euthanize a boar before for this very thing. LOTS of owners on this website have been through this with their animals. Urinary stones are very common in guinea pigs and are nothing to fool around with. I would STRONGLY recommend getting him to a vet and getting an x-ray as soon as possible.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I lost my boy Scooter three years ago today, to this exact problem. I can't tell you what it was like to watch my boy lie on my chest in his final hours.

@LittleSqueakers is spot on. Get him in. Quickly.

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer
The chalky white fluid that is dripping all the time is most likely urine with calcium sludge in it. Urinary incontinence and the fact that he's having trouble passing stools are both BIG warning signs that are VERY commonly associated with urinary stones. Stones are especially dangerous for boars, because even a small stone can block their narrow urethras. I would know; I've had to euthanize a boar before for this very thing. LOTS of owners on this website have been through this with their animals. Urinary stones are very common in guinea pigs and are nothing to fool around with. I would STRONGLY recommend getting him to a vet and getting an x-ray as soon as possible.
I i will we been dealing with a vet for a we while now as he has had this problem. Can u confirm that this is also associated with his bowels. And thats why hes storing them. Thanks againfor helping me.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
The reason they have difficulty pooping with urinary stones is usually related to pain. I don't know the anatomy specifically, - and someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate - but as I understand it, a portion of their urethra passes very close to their rectum. So if they have a stone or sludge that is causing inflammation in the urinary tract, stools passing through the rectum can put pressure against the urethra and cause pain.

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer
We update i got Ronaldo booked in for an x-ray. Appreciate everyones advice. This is a fabulous site.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We update i got Ronaldo booked in for an x-ray. Appreciate everyones advice. This is a fabulous site.
Fingers crossed. Please keep us updated.

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer
Fingers crossed. Please keep us updated.
Will do its so nice to have people that understand. We need to wait till Tuesday so he is back on antibiotics but hes eating and drinking and happy. Unlike be4 i was feeding him. Thanks again

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer
Will do its so nice to have people that understand. We need to wait till Tuesday so he is back on antibiotics but hes eating and drinking and happy. Unlike be4 i was feeding him. Thanks again
Wee update on Ronaldo he had x ray and ultra sound no sign of any stones or blood. They say hes lost weight. But there dont know whats up with him. So more antibiotics for him.

Me_julie02

Cavy Gazer
Hi guys Ronaldo seems to have a crystal. Been advised that he has an low oxalate diet can anyone advise whats best pls

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It will most likely require surgery to remove it. Males usually cannot pass stones because the urethra is too long. If the stone falls into the urethra from the bladder, it may completely block the passage of urine, and that's a full-on, painful, expensive medical emergency. I'd get him to a good exotic vet who's done stone removal before, and follow the vet's instructions.