Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Guinea Pig Wants to Eat but Can't

Michelle 223

Cavy Gazer
Hi

I'm new here, recently having trouble with one of my guinea pigs.

A few weeks ago I noticed he chipped a tooth. He was eating a little slower but still had an appetite.

In the last 2 weeks, he started drooling allot, I noticed that his teeth were overgrown. He lost allot of weight and was only eating softer fruit and vegetables.

I took him to a vet to get his teeth cut, it's now been 3 days since and he has not gotten better. He still asks for food and trys to eat but got some reason can't pick up the food. He's still only eating softer fruits and veggies.

Does anyone know why this is?

Thank you and I appreciate all your help.

Did they look at his back teeth, the molars? A lot of times the front teeth grow wonky when the molars are overgrown.
Front teeth usually aren’t cut but filed because cutting can damage the teeth more.
Did you see a vet competent in guinea pig care? He needs proper treatment, not eating is very bad for guinea pigs as their bodies are designed for continuous food processing. This is still very much an emergency.

Can he chew once he gets something in his mouth? If so, you can pick up the hay and help get it into his mouth. You should also be feeding Critical Care recovery food using a syringe without the needle. He needs sufficient food moving through his digestive tract 24/7. There are a number of YouTube videos on hand-feeding.

If you don’t have Critical Car you can mash up pellets. I have also had some success using a smoothie blender and combining hay, pellets, favorite fresh veggies into a smoothly that can be lapped up from a saucer.

Good luck, I hope you can get him seen by an exotic vet that understands dentistry.

Can he chew once he gets something in his mouth? If so, you can pick up the hay and help get it into his mouth. You should also be feeding Critical Care recovery food using a syringe without the needle. He needs sufficient food moving through his digestive tract 24/7. There are a number of YouTube videos on hand-feeding.

If you don’t have Critical Car you can mash up pellets. I have also had some success using a smoothie blender and combining hay, pellets, favorite fresh veggies into a smoothly that can be lapped up from a saucer.

Good luck, I hope you can get him seen by an exotic vet that understands dentistry.
Hi! Yes he can chew. He's been eating cucumbers and softer veggies like that.
I've honestly had guinea pigs my whole life and never encountered this before.
I appreciate the tips!

His current problem may be because the vet cut his teeth too short, and he can't pick the food up. If you cut his food into matchsticks, you can push them in his mouth to his back teeth so he can chew them. The front teeth will grow out in few days.

Do be aware, though, that guinea pig front teeth almost never are too long unless there's something wrong with the back teeth. The solution is to fix the back teeth and let the front ones alone -- they'll almost always straighten themselves out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.