Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Advice appricated - Piggie not eating hay

liadada

Cavy Gazer
My other two passed away yesterday night and Orange is having similar signs. Not eating hays but still drinking, eating pellets and bell peppers.
Brought to vet and checked poop and result came back fine.
I'm using blenders to mix pellets and hays together, try to trick him to eat some hay. Any advice on hays? Should I grab a different type of hay or it's better to stick with timonthy?
Many many thanks!

Did your vet check his teeth by chance?

You NEED a vet who is specialized in exotics. One with experience in rodent dentistry is a must.

A blender to mix pellets with some water to make a slurry is a great idea, but only if you're feeding with a syringe. Are you weighing Orange regularly? This is the best and often only way to determine if something is wrong with your pig.

Did your vet check his teeth by chance?

You NEED a vet who is specialized in exotics. One with experience in rodent dentistry is a must.

A blender to mix pellets with some water to make a slurry is a great idea, but only if you're feeding with a syringe. Are you weighing Orange regularly? This is the best and often only way to determine if something is wrong with your pig.

I weigh him every other month. he did show a weight loss since I paused his pellet starting last month but vet said he should gain weight back if I add pellet back to his diet.

I weigh him every other month. he did show a weight loss since I paused his pellet starting last month but vet said he should gain weight back if I add pellet back to his diet.
You should be weighing weekly. Pick a day of the week and weigh them religiously, preferably early in the day before they start eating much.

This is critical in knowing if your pig is healthy. Every other months is simply not even close to adequate. A fluctuation of 28 grams in a week is considered normal. Double that bears watching, and more would require a vet visit. I once had a seriously ill pig lose 100 grams OVERNIGHT. I lost him the next day.

Pellets SHOULD help him gain weight, but the biggest requirement is hay. If he won't eat the timothy, try and switch to a different type of hay such as orchard grass or brome. A change may encourage him to eat more. And please, PLEASE weigh him frequently.

You should be weighing weekly. Pick a day of the week and weigh them religiously, preferably early in the day before they start eating much.

This is critical in knowing if your pig is healthy. Every other months is simply not even close to adequate. A fluctuation of 28 grams in a week is considered normal. Double that bears watching, and more would require a vet visit. I once had a seriously ill pig lose 100 grams OVERNIGHT. I lost him the next day.

Pellets SHOULD help him gain weight, but the biggest requirement is hay. If he won't eat the timothy, try and switch to a different type of hay such as orchard grass or brome. A change may encourage him to eat more. And please, PLEASE weigh him frequently.
Thank you for the advice! I have no idea how often I should weigh him and now I know. I'm trying to feed him and give him belly massage. Also giving him gas relief. Try to keep him feel better before we can see an exotic vet.
Thank you again!

Thank you for the advice! I have no idea how often I should weigh him and now I know. I'm trying to feed him and give him belly massage. Also giving him gas relief. Try to keep him feel better before we can see an exotic vet.
Thank you again!
Please let us know how he makes out. Hoping for good things for you both. Don't hesitate to ask questions, anyone here would be happy to help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.