Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating My pig isnt eating. please help.

Ami2157

Cavy Gazer
My piggie Toffi (about 4 years old) has been having some problems with eating recently and I've been very worried.

About a month earlier I noticed that my pig wasn't eating and she was pretty skinny and her spine kind of sticked out because of it so I looked at her front teeth and noticed that her lower front teeth were too long. I then tried to give her food but she just didn't want to take it. I could tell she was hungry but she just couldn't eat. I started to give her special food for piggies that cant eat on their own until I could book a vet (after the special food she started to gain some weight which was good) (there aren't many vets near me and the nearest ones are always booked)

I have an uncle who is a vet but doesn't really specialize in smaller animals but he was coming over to my house so I asked him to check my guinea pig out. (i compared my guinea pigs teeth to my other one and it was a lot longer) he said he could cut it a bit. He put her to sleep and cut it. After doing that I thought she was getting better because she ate a little better but then she again wouldn't eat anything. I don't think it's her front teeth now but the back ones. I gave her food today and she smelled it and walked away. I even cut it into smaller chunks but she still wouldn't. I tried to give her a small chunk of bell pepper kind of forcibly but she kept opening her mouth really wide and then spitting it out. One time I gave it to her and she chewed a little then opened her mouth really wide again and chewed and opened her mouth over and over again until she finally ate it. She did that with 3 pieces of veggies.

Please give me some ideas of what I can do im very worried.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
I’m sorry your piggie isn’t feeling well. Sounds like she needs a vet and soon.

In the meantime you need to start weighing her more often and continue to force feed. Please read up on those 2 topics (the search function should help with that, or try at www.guinealynx.info), especially the force feeding. Piggies require regular food intake.

Force feeding by syringe can be stressful for owner and piggie but she needs it.
You can use the special food, but if you don’t have any you can also use ground up pellets.

Sometimes piggies will still eat pellets on their own if they are softened by soaking them in some water. So you can try and offer her this throughout the day in between force feeding her.

Also make sure she gets plenty of vitamin c. Check the special food if they’ve added vitamin c.
You can supplement by grounding up a tablet, using a powder or giving it by syringe. (Never put it in the water bottle, it degrades fast and might make the water taste funny so she won’t drink it)

Your pig needs to be examined by someone who knows something about rodent dentistry. Like right now. Her molars may have developed sharp spurs that are tearing holes in her cheeks, making it too painful for her to eat. Or they may have overgrown to the point that they're trapping her tongue so that she can't swallow properly.

For a guinea pig, failure to eat is a big emergency. They're wired to need food moving through their gut all the time, and can develop painful, even fatal, ulcers if that doesn't happen. They can also develop bloat, which is an emergency in itself, and can be very hard to manage.

Please get her to a vet, tomorrow if you can manage it. She needs immediate attention if she's going to survive.

I’m sorry your piggie isn’t feeling well. Sounds like she needs a vet and soon.

In the meantime you need to start weighing her more often and continue to force feed. Please read up on those 2 topics (the search function should help with that, or try at www.guinealynx.info), especially the force feeding. Piggies require regular food intake.

Force feeding by syringe can be stressful for owner and piggie but she needs it.
You can use the special food, but if you don’t have any you can also use ground up pellets.

Sometimes piggies will still eat pellets on their own if they are softened by soaking them in some water. So you can try and offer her this throughout the day in between force feeding her.

Also, make sure she gets plenty of vitamin c. Check the special food if they’ve added vitamin c.
You can supplement by grounding up a tablet, using a powder, or giving it by syringe. (Never put it in the water bottle, it degrades fast and might make the water taste funny so she won’t drink it)
Thank you for your reply and for your tips. I really appreciate it.

Your pig needs to be examined by someone who knows something about rodent dentistry. Like right now. Her molars may have developed sharp spurs that are tearing holes in her cheeks, making it too painful for her to eat. Or they may have overgrown to the point that they're trapping her tongue so that she can't swallow properly.

For a guinea pig, failure to eat is a big emergency. They're wired to need food moving through their gut all the time, and can develop painful, even fatal, ulcers if that doesn't happen. They can also develop bloat, which is an emergency in itself, and can be very hard to manage.

Please get her to a vet, tomorrow if you can manage it. She needs immediate attention if she's going to survive.
Thank you for your reply. Im going to book a vet as quickly as i can. Thank you for your tips I really appreciate it.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

She's doing fine right now. I'm feeding her some softened food and force-feeding her some veggies that I can. She gained some weight which is good and has more energy than she had before. I'm still trying to find a vet without having to drive for a long time somewhere to not stress her out more.

She's doing fine right now. I'm feeding her some softened food and force-feeding her some veggies that I can. She gained some weight which is good and has more energy than she had before. I'm still trying to find a vet without having to drive for a long time somewhere to not stress her out more.
The drive itself doesn’t matter, all that matters is that you get her somewhere quickly. I know it sucks that you might have to drive quite a bit away, but there really is nothing you can do about it.

Driving won't bother her, and teeth won't fix themselves. You need to get her to a good vet ASAP.

She has sadly passed away. I dont think her passing was because of the problems she had. She was eating and drinking. In my opinion it was old age. She was almost 5 years old and guinea pigs live for about 4-8 years. She lived a good life before she got "sick" and now she isnt suffering anymore. R.I.P Toffi

I'm sorry you lost her.

But nearly five isn't old for a guinea pig. Most live longer than six years, quite a few make it to eight or nine, and some even past that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.