Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What type of GP should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Then I suggest that you have him neutered and while he is in the recovery period, actively look for a sow. That way you are ready for either sex roommate, and he just may calm down after being neutered.

I have a neutered male with an intact female and they are just the best! They have been inseparable from the day I brought Maya home. I had previously brought a female home and Chester was absolutely and completely indifferent to her. With Maya, it was love-at-first-sight.

You mention Worchester.......as in MA? New England is a hotbed of cavy lovers and I would be surprised if you can't find an adoptable cavy. As an aside, the rescue in Durham, CT (Critter Connection) is very small and the listings on her website are not always up to date. Cindy is quite responsive to email. If she has something you think you might be interested in, I can go check it out for you.

Please read the latest at the following link:(broken link removed)
I just checked, and there are lots of listings on Craig's List for guinea pigs in the Boston area.

He wouldn't calm down at all after being fixed. He just wouldn't be able to have baby's. Neutering doesn't effect behaviors at all.

Right now it's either I find a submissive male and hope they naturally get in

Get a young male and hope they don't kill each other after the baby goes threw puberty

Fix puddles and get a female and hope they get along :/

It's so hard cause there's no promises puddles will make it

And yes Ma. But New England is also known for having very very sketchy people. You're almost always gonna end up with a sick pig. I can travel anywhere I can't walk or take a bus and still be home before nightfall :/ all there is around is pet stores. I still don't feel comfortable getting one online...

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
Our first guinea pig, Squeaky, who is my avatar pic, I thought was an american short hair, but found out after he passed, that he was actually and american short hair/satin/can't remember the other one mix. His hair was a tad longer than an american and shiny. We now have 2 peruvian baby boars (one is r/w satin and the other is a lilac roan). I love the feel of their hair and the way they look, but they are definitely more work than a short hair. Short hair is so much easier!

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Our first guinea pig, Squeaky, who is my avatar pic, I thought was an american short hair, but found out after he passed, that he was actually and american short hair/satin/can't remember the other one mix. His hair was a tad longer than an american and shiny. We now have 2 peruvian baby boars (one is r/w satin and the other is a lilac roan). I love the feel of their hair and the way they look, but they are definitely more work than a short hair. Short hair is so much easier!

I don't mind the extra work. ^_^ I love spending time with my animals and enjoy putting time and effort into them.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
You apparently got your information from some of the chat on this forum. Neutering doesn't change a boar's personality, but it DOES reduce aggression. No, there's no guarantee that it will change Puddles' behavior, but it is likely that it will. Insofar as your neighborhood people, things will improve once you are old enough to drive.

For one I am old enough to drive thank you. I'm 18 and perfectly capable to drive. I however still live with my parents and have to go by there rules. I don't think I'm going to fix my guinea pig. It's much to risky to put him through that just to hope he would get less aggressive, which I doubt, or get on better with others. I wouldn't risk my pets life like that.

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
I don't mind the extra work. ^_^ I love spending time with my animals and enjoy putting time and effort into them.
By more work, I mean that FireBall keeps having an issue where his hair gets stuck and either pushes his penis out so it can't retract, or it gets stuck in there and smushed down around the opening. Didn't have to worry about with the short hair. Also, liked that Squeaky was never wet on his belly etc from when he peed. He was dry. Thinking the boys will be getting their first bath today. I'm trying the pine pellets from Tractor Supply and seeing if that works better than the CareFresh to help keep them drier underneath. We don't mind spending time with our pets either (2 dogs and 2 piggies--just the long hair around the boy parts requires checking daily, and sometimes more than once a day in FireBalls case.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
OMG look up Sheltie. I've never owned one but they are my favorite breed!

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
By more work, I mean that FireBall keeps having an issue where his hair gets stuck and either pushes his penis out so it can't retract, or it gets stuck in there and smushed down around the opening. Didn't have to worry about with the short hair. Also, liked that Squeaky was never wet on his belly etc from when he peed. He was dry. Thinking the boys will be getting their first bath today. I'm trying the pine pellets from Tractor Supply and seeing if that works better than the CareFresh to help keep them drier underneath. We don't mind spending time with our pets either (2 dogs and 2 piggies--just the long hair around the boy parts requires checking daily, and sometimes more than once a day in FireBalls case.

The cage still stands :3 I don't mind meeting the needs of any animal. When I talk about long haired piggies on here people tend to through salt at me :/ I'm sure it's not intensional or anything but it's still a little disheartening

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
I did ask if they had any in any way and all I got back from almost all of them was a really negitive and sassy attitude about how "guinea pigs are not the the type of animal they house" and to go to a pet store if I want one. I don't have a computer at the moment and the links you sent me wouldn't load onto my iPhone. I'm starting to get really frustrated with trying to find one that needs a good home and isn't from a pet store
Check your inbox please. Not throwing salt, just sharing my new experiences with long haired piggies =) Both of mine are Peruvians, and 2 of the ones in the litter of Poe were peruvian, and the others were Sheltie. My daughter liked the long hair like a toupee on top of their heads, hence why we now have peruvians. Wouldnt' trade them for the world, just have to figure out a way to trim back the hair down there, and it's hard when they're still squiggly....don't want to hurt either of them.

Last edited:

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
I also have a long haired (sheltie/coronet) and yeah she is a little extra work with monthly butt baths, twice a month skirt trimmings and daily combings but it's not like that's too hard haha plus a lot of people like to do those things. I know I do! (Just don't be bath-happy, if they aren't actually dirty down there then don't bathe them at all and bathing them too often will dry their skin out.)
@dubbergirl Oh my! Lol Yeah I couldn't get boys because of the boar stank and anal sack cleanings that are also very smelly. (So I've read anyways.) ...Nope. Can't do it. I respect people who can though so thank you! Lol :)

Have you heard of scaredy cut? I'd look it up. Really awkward to use if you aren't right handed though!

My Maybelline is SUCH a diva when it comes to getting her hair cut, she doesn't want any part of it! (Girls and their hair I guess.) Lol So I give her veggies while I cut to help her stay calm, also the more you do it, the more they'll get used to it. So for a while I was cutting weekly, even though it wasn't really necessary.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Check your inbox please. Not throwing salt, just sharing my new experiences with long haired piggies =) Both of mine are Peruvians, and 2 of the ones in the litter of Poe were peruvian, and the others were Sheltie. My daughter liked the long hair like a toupee on top of their heads, hence why we now have peruvians. Wouldnt' trade them for the world, just have to figure out a way to trim back the hair down there, and it's hard when they're still squiggly....don't want to hurt either of them.

Oh no I wasn't talking about certain people I'm sorry! Just that the majority of people like to focus on the ONE thing they disagree with about what someone says. People have different opinions :3 for example if you say the word breeding or breeder xD people go nuts. Personally I don't mind breeding. And just because this site is again breeding as a whole that doesn't mean I have to be. (And yes I know there are plenty of animals in shelters and pet stores ect. But I like the security that comes with a GOOD breeder. There are always sketchy people xD no matter where you go)

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
I also have a long haired (sheltie/coronet) and yeah she is a little extra work with monthly butt baths, twice a month skirt trimmings and daily combings but it's not like that's too hard haha plus a lot of people like to do those things. I know I do! (Just don't be bath-happy, if they aren't actually dirty down there then don't bathe them at all and bathing them too often will dry their skin out.)
@dubbergirl Oh my! Lol Yeah I couldn't get boys because of the boar stank and anal sack cleanings that are also very smelly. (So I've read anyways.) ...Nope. Can't do it. I respect people who can though so thank you! Lol :)

Have you heard of scaredy cut? I'd look it up. Really awkward to use if you aren't right handed though!

My Maybelline is SUCH a diva when it comes to getting her hair cut, she doesn't want any part of it! (Girls and their hair I guess.) Lol So I give her veggies while I cut to help her stay calm, also the more you do it, the more they'll get used to it. So for a while I was cutting weekly, even though it wasn't really necessary.

Aw xD how do you cut your piggies hair? The cut you mentioned or a different one?

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@Lovecavy13 ...I'm sorry if you feel like people are trying to ram things down your throat... but you do understand why most of us hate breeding, right? It's not just that there is no need for breeding. It's cruel, it's painful and the sow will have a 1 in 5 chance of dying. The fact that there are so many piggies needing homes already (not in pet stores, you buy from a pet store, you're also supporting breeding and horrific conditions the guinea pigs have to go through to get to the pet shop and even once they are there it's still abuse because they aren't doing one thing correctly for their care.) makes it even more cruel to breed them.

Sorry if you've already had that information told to you.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Aw xD how do you cut your piggies hair? The cut you mentioned or a different one?

I use barber scissors. I first comb her through completely then use my fingers (actually acting like scissors lol) to be a barrier between the scissors and her and also to clamp down on the hair so she "feels" it less. (Kinda like how we sometimes hold onto the base of our hair really tight when we try to get a knot out so we feel the pull less.) I can't use a comb instead of my hand because she also will jump a little in frustration or *try* to bite the scissors D: so I have to be completely ready to block her from the blades. Which is why I just like to have my hand in front of it to begin with.

I haven't tried the scaredy cut yet but I want to, I think it would make me feel better. Haha I also heard the blades on the scaredy cut scissors aren't as sharp but then again my barber scissors are cheap and crappy so pretty sure it wouldn't be much of a difference in that aspect! Lol

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
@Lovecavy13 ...I'm sorry if you feel like people are trying to ram things down your throat... but you do understand why most of us hate breeding, right? It's not just that there is no need for breeding. It's cruel, it's painful and the sow will have a 1 in 5 chance of dying. The fact that there are so many piggies needing homes already (not in pet stores, you buy from a pet store, you're also supporting breeding and horrific conditions the guinea pigs have to go through to get to the pet shop and even once they are there it's still abuse because they aren't doing one thing correctly for their care.) makes it even more cruel to breed them.

Sorry if you've already had that information told to you.

No I understand. But for someone like me where the shelters are just as bad if not worse then the pet sores it's not really a choice. The majority of shelters run here are run by people who only want money. They don't care about the animals. I've seen pigs who fight to the death housed in cages together and just kept like that.

Most of the animals there are sick. I know my cat was and so was my dog (who's now past)

Shelters aren't always the answer :( and I don't feel comfortable adopting online. You can say anything you want to. "This is a super healthy guinea pig" and then once you get the poor thing it could be on deaths door.

For me I don't have the money to spend nursing a pig back to health. I'm going to college next year. I'm paying for that plus an apartment so I can keep my pigs. That doesn't make me a irresponsible owner because I don't have money to pay for vets bills of a pig I was told was healthy. (Cause I've seen that comment around too. Not directed at me just around)

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone on here. I love this site and the people are always helpful. I just think it would be a much more supportive place if people stopped to try and see the other persons point if view

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
I use barber scissors. I first comb her through completely then use my fingers (actually acting like scissors lol) to be a barrier between the scissors and her and also to clamp down on the hair so she "feels" it less. (Kinda like how we sometimes hold onto the base of our hair really tight when we try to get a knot out so we feel the pull less.) I can't use a comb instead of my hand because she also will jump a little in frustration or *try* to bite the scissors D: so I have to be completely ready to block her from the blades. Which is why I just like to have my hand in front of it to begin with.

I haven't tried the scaredy cut yet but I want to, I think it would make me feel better. Haha I also heard the blades on the scaredy cut scissors aren't as sharp but then again my barber scissors are cheap and crappy so pretty sure it wouldn't be much of a difference in that aspect! Lol

Have you ever tried getting her to like the sissors? Like letting her smell the part your fingers go in and giving her treats and lovings and after a while she should associate the hair cut with treats :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
No I understand. But for someone like me where the shelters are just as bad if not worse then the pet sores it's not really a choice. The majority of shelters run here are run by people who only want money. They don't care about the animals. I've seen pigs who fight to the death housed in cages together and just kept like that.

Most of the animals there are sick. I know my cat was and so was my dog (who's now past)

Shelters aren't always the answer :( and I don't feel comfortable adopting online. You can say anything you want to. "This is a super healthy guinea pig" and then once you get the poor thing it could be on deaths door.

For me I don't have the money to spend nursing a pig back to health. I'm going to college next year. I'm paying for that plus an apartment so I can keep my pigs. That doesn't make me a irresponsible owner because I don't have money to pay for vets bills of a pig I was told was healthy. (Cause I've seen that comment around too. Not directed at me just around)

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone on here. I love this site and the people are always helpful. I just think it would be a much more supportive place if people stopped to try and see the other persons point if view

If you don't have the money to nurse a sick guinea pig back to health, I wouldn't consider getting a guinea pig. There are a lot of medical issues that can pop up unexpectedly that can run in the hundreds of dollars with any guinea pig.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No I understand. But for someone like me where the shelters are just as bad if not worse then the pet sores it's not really a choice.

Yes, it IS a choice. When you get a pig from a rescue, there's nobody behind that rescue breeding more pigs to restock it. When you buy one from a store, there are breeders behind it. Your purchase creates a demand for more pigs -- more sows kept continually pregnant, more pups living in horrible conditions, more terrible shipping conditions, more sick and dying guinea pigs. So don't fool yourself into thinking that you don't have a choice. You absolutely do.

Most shelters and rescues are run by volunteers. They don't have dedicated sources of funding, and it costs money to care for their animals. Of course they need money. They get lots of sick and injured animals that require vet care, and that's not free. They need cages and food and bedding. Who do you think pays for all that? Part of the money comes from the fees they charge when you adopt an animal, but it's never enough. Every rescuer I know, and I know a bunch of them, puts hundreds of dollars of their own money into supporting the rescue.

Are all rescues and shelters good? Of course not. But most are, and most are doing the dead level best they can under difficult conditions.

For me I don't have the money to spend nursing a pig back to health.

Then you don't have enough money for a guinea pig. There's no guarantee that any pig you get, from any source, won't have expensive health problems. And if you can't provide for its health, then you shouldn't have the animal.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
If you don't have the money to nurse a sick guinea pig back to health, I wouldn't consider getting a guinea pig. There are a lot of medical issues that can pop up unexpectedly that can run in the hundreds of dollars with any guinea pig.

Correction. I don't have the money to nurse a guinea pig that should have been healthy in the first place back to health. I have an emergency fond and I have a job. I can care for the needs of my pigs. If one got sick randomly I can afford that. I'm prepared for that. I'm not prepared for a pig I was lied about. End of story.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Yes, it IS a choice. When you get a pig from a rescue, there's nobody behind that rescue breeding more pigs to restock it. When you buy one from a store, there are breeders behind it. Your purchase creates a demand for more pigs -- more sows kept continually pregnant, more pups living in horrible conditions, more terrible shipping conditions, more sick and dying guinea pigs. So don't fool yourself into thinking that you don't have a choice. You absolutely do.

Most shelters and rescues are run by volunteers. They don't have dedicated sources of funding, and it costs money to care for their animals. Of course they need money. They get lots of sick and injured animals that require vet care, and that's not free. They need cages and food and bedding. Who do you think pays for all that? Part of the money comes from the fees they charge when you adopt an animal, but it's never enough. Every rescuer I know, and I know a bunch of them, puts hundreds of dollars of their own money into supporting the rescue.

Are all rescues and shelters good? Of course not. But most are, and most are doing the dead level best they can under difficult conditions.

Then you don't have enough money for a guinea pig. There's no guarantee that any pig you get, from any source, won't have expensive health problems. And if you can't provide for its health, then you shouldn't have the animal.

I can buy my guinea pig where ever I want to. I am not going to a shelter. End of story. And I have money set aside. Not everyone is made of money people Christ. This is what I was talking about. I don't go to these huge businesses. A teacher of mine breeds guinea pigs and rabbits. He takes really good care of them and is a very good pet owner.

You have absolutely no right to tell me if I could or couldn't care properly for my pets because I don't have an endless supply of money. I will be getting my pig from a breeder and I will be taking care of him and he will be a perfectly happy pig. If he gets sick I'll take care of him but that's MY choice.

If you have a problem with that that's on you but I honestly couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.