Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size What do you think of this?

lissie

Cavy Slave
How about getting a loft bed? That would save you lots of room. You can get cheap or free ones from craigslist.

I've always wanted to have my pigs free range in my room. I don't mind living in the same room with them. My husband would probably have a heart attack if I do that ;)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
If you were able to expand the cage it wouldn't stink, as long as it were maintained properly.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Could you raise your bed far enough off of the floor to allow for a single level underneath (yes, it's been done before)? You could pull the cage out in the day and "stow" it at night. Noise under the bed isn't the issue if they are going to be in your room anyway. Is a bunk bed a possibility (you on the top level, of course)? That would give them an open cage area all day. That has also been done by a member. How wide is your dresser? Could it be positioned in your room to allow for it to be pulled out from the wall far enough to accommodate a 2 grid wide cage on top, extra width to the back so that you can still open the drawers? You could also put a kitchen area as a lower level, like down the side of a dresser, desk or table as long as the main level is big enough. I hope that you find a livable solution.

Oh how I wish I had my brother's bed. He has a loft bed with lost of space underneath... perfect for a guinea pig's cage. he doesn't want to switch beds and I don't trust them in his room. I don't think they would get enough air if they are under my bed. And my dresser is really long but its not very wide.

lissie

Cavy Slave
What is the measurement of your dresser?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I'm kind of confused. First you said your dresser was too small to put the cage on. Then you said it was HUGE in length. If it's really that long, why can't you put the cage on it?

Is there another room you could put your desk in, like the living room or an office-type room? Could you get a smaller desk or get creative and put part of the pigs' cage on the desk?

If you want to try to convince your parents to keep the pigs elsewhere, stress that with a larger cage it won't smell. You could also mention that you are more likely to develop allergies to the pigs (or their hay or bedding) if they are in your room.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I'm kind of confused. First you said your dresser was too small to put the cage on. Then you said it was HUGE in length. If it's really that long, why can't you put the cage on it?

Is there another room you could put your desk in, like the living room or an office-type room? Could you get a smaller desk or get creative and put part of the pigs' cage on the desk?

If you want to try to convince your parents to keep the pigs elsewhere, stress that with a larger cage it won't smell. You could also mention that you are more likely to develop allergies to the pigs (or their hay or bedding) if they are in your room.

My dresser is HUGE in length but it is only about 20 inches wide. I wanted to get a new dresser anyway because 2 of the drawers are broken.

I can't move the desk anywhere else or put the pigs on it because my computer is on it.

I also kind of want them in my room. Where they are right now, I don't see them much and I feel guilty because I think I don't think I pay enough attention to them.

If I get the new dresser, which I probually will. They will be right next to a window and about 5 inches of their cage will be infront of the window. (it might not be but I think it will.) I heard that they shouldn't be by windows. There isnt a draft comming from the window. I know because my bed is right by it and I never fell a draft. Once I move them into my room I will add a second story to the 3x2 cage.

rahunter

Cavy Slave
Could you rasie the cage with a grid stand and have part of the cage resting on your dresser and the other part supported by the stand? We have limited space in the room where our pigs are. I thought about doing this until I decided to free up a wall where the cage would fit perfectly.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If I were you I would do what rahunter suggested and put something (a long shelf maybe) behind the desk that is the same in the desk's length and height. Make it about 8" long and you will have enough space for a cage two grids in width. Your dresser will just stick out a bit further.

Otherwise if you get a new dresser maybe you could move your desk in front of the window instead? Or your bed or something else? If you have to have the pigs in front of it, there are plastic insulating materials to cover your windows with to keep heat in during the winter. Hopefully that will keep the temperature a bit more stable there.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Okay. I think they are going to go in my room once I get a new dresser. The other problem with putting them on the dresser, is that my fish tank is on my dresser.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Why do you need a dresser at all??? We dont do dressers much on our apartment. The 2 we do have are used for dishes and videos! LOL I hang up all our clothes in the closets including pants and such. Our underware stays in a plastic drawer thing in the closet. It works great! Put up shelves on the walls near the ceiling. I have over 20 4 foot shelves. We put books, kids toys, games, movies, decorations, boxes...etc. To keep things up and away from the kids, we also got rid of all our book cases. They took up too much floor space too and the kids would just pull everything off of them anyways. Good luck to you. Please make sure they have more than the minimum. THe bigger the cage the happier they are 1 pair of my boys has a 2x6 cage now. They love it...

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Why do you need a dresser at all??? We dont do dressers much on our apartment. The 2 we do have are used for dishes and videos! LOL I hang up all our clothes in the closets including pants and such. Our underware stays in a plastic drawer thing in the closet. It works great! Put up shelves on the walls near the ceiling. I have over 20 4 foot shelves. We put books, kids toys, games, movies, decorations, boxes...etc. To keep things up and away from the kids, we also got rid of all our book cases. They took up too much floor space too and the kids would just pull everything off of them anyways. Good luck to you. Please make sure they have more than the minimum. THe bigger the cage the happier they are 1 pair of my boys has a 2x6 cage now. They love it...

We do this too. No dressers. When you have about 680 sq feet for the family + 5 fish tanks and + cavies there isn't room. Everything goes in the closet. I have some big plastic bins where we pack away the clothes that aren't appropriate for the season.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
We do this too. No dressers. When you have about 680 sq feet for the family + 5 fish tanks and + cavies there isn't room. Everything goes in the closet. I have some big plastic bins where we pack away the clothes that aren't appropriate for the season.

I need a dresser for my clothes. My family basicly uses my closet for storage and there is not enough room for my clothes.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You won't be able to find a dresser that is deep enough for a C&C cage. What you can do is move the dresser out so there's about 8" gap between the dresser and the wall. Ask your dad to get a plywood and cover the top of the dresser.
Clarasmom Cat-Safe Cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos
What do you think of this?

If you choose to do this, make sure to drill holes in the bottom connectors so they can be screwed on to the plywood so the cage won't fall off.

Last edited:

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I am getting a new dresser and putting the cage next to it.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
How big of a cage will you be able to make after you get a new dresser?

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
It will be 2x3 with an L shaped upper level. I'm trying to make it as big as I can with out having the lower level be more than 2x3. I am going to put most of their toys and things on the top level so they have more room to run on the bottom level. I will hopefully have them in my room by sunday!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
why not have a 2 x 4 bottom and no top level or even a bigger bottom level than that?

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
why not have a 2 x 4 bottom and no top level or even a bigger bottom level than that?
Because they will be in front of the wall socket if I made it bigger.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if there is a smaller size sheet of coroplast than 8x4 feet?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
The standard size is 8x4 feet, but you can sometimes have them cut it smaller.

If you can only have a 2x3 I would not have an upper level. The ramp will just take up room they need for running.

If I were you, I would consider all of the suggestions given here more strongly and try to make at least a 2x4 for your pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.