Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What can I do to make my pigs comfy as possible in a too-small cage?

cruella-de-vil

Cavy Slave
Now before you jump on me for having a pet store cage.
I did not purchase it. We took our pigs on from our neighbors who could no longer take care of them. They had a small pet store cage and I knew I needed to get a new cage asap.
However, their new 2x3 C&C cage will not be arriving for a couple days.
What can I do in the mean time to make their crappy pet store cage as comfy as possible? Please nothing expensive, as I only need this for a couple days. I’m giving them as much floor and lap time as possible.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is there a way you can somehow block in a sort of pen-like enclosure, with their too small cage against it? That way you could leave the door to the cage open, but you would need to make sure that they couldn't escape from the pen.

Just as an aside, a 2x3 cage is better but still isn't big enough for two pigs.

cruella-de-vil

Cavy Slave
Is there a way you can somehow block in a sort of pen-like enclosure, with their too small cage against it? That way you could leave the door to the cage open, but you would need to make sure that they couldn't escape from the pen.

Just as an aside, a 2x3 cage is better but still isn't big enough for two pigs.
I know. It’s currently the best I can do but I am planning to expand it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, for some reason this cage does not have a door (???) except on the top.
I’m probably going to just try and only keep them in the cage at night. It’s only a few more days, so I think we will be ok?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I definitely can't fault you for making the effort, and I'm sure your piggies will understand. But please watch out for squabbles and whatnot. Lack of space is often a trigger for guinea pig aggression. Expand it as soon as you can.

cruella-de-vil

Cavy Slave
I definitely can't fault you for making the effort, and I'm sure your piggies will understand. But please watch out for squabbles and whatnot. Lack of space is often a trigger for guinea pig aggression. Expand it as soon as you can.
I will. They get along quite well, fortunately, but I am planning to expand to a 2x5 as soon as I can, sometime in July is probably the earliest I could do it.
In the meantime I’m giving them as much floortime as I possibly can.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
it’s good of you to take these two in and plan to give them the space they need.

In the small cage, use fleece fringe to divide the space and provide hiding areas. That way the entire floor is open. If there is a hidey, that takes up space and limits their movement even more. With two pigs, any type of hidey should have two exits. So when you get your larger cage, or during floor time, be sure one can’t trap another one in the hidey.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Maybe find a cheap second-hand pet playpen to put them in instead? I doubt buying a brand new one would be cheap. If you already have the grids, you could set them up an lay something on the floor/table so they don't ruin whatever is underneath.

cruella-de-vil

Cavy Slave
Maybe find a cheap second-hand pet playpen to put them in instead? I doubt buying a brand new one would be cheap. If you already have the grids, you could set them up a lay something on the floor/table so they don't ruin whatever is underneath.
I’ll try that! I do have a pretty large playpen. I think what I’ll do is use the fleece liner which has already arrived and layer it with the pig’s favorite blanket, then add the playpen walls to that. The C&C is arriving tomorrow or the day after so we just need to get through that, thankfully.

cruella-de-vil

Cavy Slave
The new cage has arrived! And I’m planning to use birthday money to expand it to a 2x5 , the largest I can currently fit.
They are so much happier, they chase each other around, popcorn, and wheek loudly when I enter the room. I’m overjoyed.

Attachments

image.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Wow, that’s a nice size! Good for you, those piggies are so lucky!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sooo happy to hear this! Happy piggies mean happy piggie parents!