Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size What do you think of this?

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Long story short, I might need to move the pigs into my bedroom. The problem is, I have hardly any space to put them. Their cage now is a 2x3. But what if I had a 2x2 with a second story of 1x2? I have 2 females.

ChristyG

Cavy Slave
I wonder about my cage too. I have a 2 x4 and I may have to move it.If you make a 2nd level-is that good? I have 2 girls too.

Scout.Layne

Cavy Slave
From what I have read on this site...the second floor doesn't really count. You really should have a 2x4 for two piggies. Is there anyway you could make a corner cage?

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
What is a corner cage? And the minimum for 2 females is 2x3.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Yeah second floors don't count as overall space. It's the main floor that counts. So a 2x2 with a 1x2 loft would not be appropriate for even one guinea pig. You're already cutting it close with a 2x3 for two females.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Okay. Well I'm off to go measure my room. If I some how find enough room for a bigger cage I will make one.

Dichotomy83

Cavy Slave
I really wouldnt go that small for 2 pigs. Is there any way you can rearrange your room setup so that you could fit a bigger cage?

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I don't know. I would have to get rid of some furniture.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
It's hard to help without knowing the setup of your room. Could a nice size cage sit on your dresser? Or in your closet? If you keep the door open could they get light in the closet?

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
yeah, those were the first things I checked. My dresser is too small and there are shelves tha are like nailed to the ground or something in my closet.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
I actually have no doors on my closet so I put my bed in front of it (long side against the closet opening) That keeps the dog out but I do have to sit on the bed to get things out of the closet. I used to have two bookshelves in my closet but now I have shelves in there and totes.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
What is a corner cage?

Dobelady

Cavy Slave
We ended up putting our 2X3 cage on my sons tall dresser. Hubby took a thick piece of plywood and secured it on top to make the top bigger for the cage. My half a cat is leaving on Monday so I'll be able to move the cage to her room and make it bigger in hopes that Drew and Guido will be friends in a few weeks. The dresser thing really worked well for us.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You need at least a 2x3 and a 2x4 would be much better. I think what was meant by corner cage is an L-shaped cage, which is fine.

Here's what I would do:
Go through your room and throw away or give away everything you don't really want.
Organize what remains so you have as much space as possible. Move stuff on shelves and use as much vertical space as you can.
If there is any furniture you don't really use, move it to another room.
Measure how long each side of your room is and draw it on graph paper to scale.
Measure each thing that you have to keep in your room (i.e. your bed) and draw those sizes on paper too. Cut them out.
Move those cut outs around on top of the layout of your room and see how you can make the most space available.
Then decide where the cage will best fit and what shape cage to make. You can put the cage on top of something else or use grids to make a base and store clothes, books, or other items underneath the cage.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
You need at least a 2x3 and a 2x4 would be much better. I think what was meant by corner cage is an L-shaped cage, which is fine.

Here's what I would do:
Go through your room and throw away or give away everything you don't really want.
Organize what remains so you have as much space as possible. Move stuff on shelves and use as much vertical space as you can.
If there is any furniture you don't really use, move it to another room.
Measure how long each side of your room is and draw it on graph paper to scale.
Measure each thing that you have to keep in your room (i.e. your bed) and draw those sizes on paper too. Cut them out.
Move those cut outs around on top of the layout of your room and see how you can make the most space available.
Then decide where the cage will best fit and what shape cage to make. You can put the cage on top of something else or use grids to make a base and store clothes, books, or other items underneath the cage.

I really apreciate you planning this out for me but this is how my room is. I have 2 long walls and 2 shorter walls. On one of the longer walls I have my bed and a book shelf with 5 inches between them. On the other longer wall I have my desk, chair, and dresser with about 3 inches between each of them. On one of the shorter walls is a air vent, window, and wall socket so I couldn't put them there. On the other smaller wall I have my closet. My dresser in HUGE in length and I don't use it much so if I can convince my dad to let me get a smaller one I would be able to put them in my room. But I have had that dresser since I was a baby and I doubt my dad would let me get rid of it. Then again it would mean getting the guinea pigs out of the living room where he swears he can smell them 5 minutes after I clean their cage. :rolleyes:

lissie

Cavy Slave
I have another idea for you. How about keeping the pigs free range and use the 2x2 as a kitchen area?

vicky2

Cavy Slave
I second lissie's idea.
Or, you could always rearrange you furniture.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I have another idea for you. How about keeping the pigs free range and use the 2x2 as a kitchen area?

I could not have them be free range. In order to have them be free range I would have to have a whole other room for them, which I don't have.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I second lissie's idea.
Or, you could always rearrange you furniture.

Like I said before, rearanging my furniture wouln't make any differance because right now my room is crammed with furniture. The only option is getting a new dresser, like I said before.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Could you raise your bed far enough off of the floor to allow for a single level underneath (yes, it's been done before)? You could pull the cage out in the day and "stow" it at night. Noise under the bed isn't the issue if they are going to be in your room anyway. Is a bunk bed a possibility (you on the top level, of course)? That would give them an open cage area all day. That has also been done by a member. How wide is your dresser? Could it be positioned in your room to allow for it to be pulled out from the wall far enough to accommodate a 2 grid wide cage on top, extra width to the back so that you can still open the drawers? You could also put a kitchen area as a lower level, like down the side of a dresser, desk or table as long as the main level is big enough. I hope that you find a livable solution.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.