Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Switching from carefresh bedding to cloth....?

Ping Leong Li

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I have two pigs and have been thinking about switching from carefresh bedding to cloth. What's the down side of using a cloth for bedding?
I'm considering it because it's cheaper and easier to clean (maybe). Please give me some opinions, thanks, have a great weekend ^_^

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece is about the only safe stuff to use. It wicks the urine through to an absorbent underneath layer that you have to lay down, and keeps the pigs feet and bottom sides dry. It also doesn't ravel, so there's no danger of a pig eating the threads and getting an intestinal blockage. If you look in the bedding forum, there's lots of information on fleece.

You can also use some suede cloth, as it works just like fleece. It's better in that the hay doesn't stick to it as bad, but it doesn't come in as many colors as fleece does. And not all of it will work. I just haven't figured out how to tell whether it's going to work or not until I get it home and try it, so it's a pain, not to mention expensive, to get home with and find out that it doesn't. Alova suede is supposed to work, but I've got some that doesn't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.