Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Fruit flies coming from Guinea pig droppings?

Hello, Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time.
I had a similar problem some years ago. It turned out the flies were a type with a very short breeding cycle. I believe they were hatching daily out of the droppings/dirty litter. Changing ALL the bedding EVERY DAY for a week broke the cycle. That is, daily throw out the litter, timothy, paper, everything you can, and wash any cloth bedding daily.
Please don't give up on your piggies until you've tried this. I had battled the flies for a long time and eventually the infestation was as bad as yours looks -- but with the daily changings, the problem cleared up within a few days. Good luck!!!
I will definitely try this; I was thinking of doing a pine and cedar mix but before anything I’ll try that. I swear if this works it would be a miracle; it’s just tough to walk into my room and be greeted with 20-40 flies in my face. Including here having them in food/drinks. Thank you for the suggestion.

I know this is extreme, but I would remove all the bedding, clean the entire cage, and put down fleece over some large absorbent towels. Put smaller pieces of fleece or quilted placemats in the corners where they toilet. Spot clean the area a few times a day. Shake the corner pieces out daily and anything damp or soiled goes straight into the wash. Add about 1/3 cup white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment of the washer for a clean rinse.

Get the vacuum cleaner out and suck up the flies on the walls.

These look like the kind of flies that hang around horse and cattle barns. We had horses when I was growing up and I remember flies like these in the barn. They use organic bedding and droppings to multiply. Without a place to multiply they will die.

BTW, your cage size, 28 sq ft, is generous for 2 pigs.
Honestly; I had fleece but it was super thin so I think it was a fleece liner but I had to throw it out cause my Guinea pigs were here chewing on it lmao. I’m using wood shavings (one seen in stores) and it’s very absorbent. I’m trying to get them fleece but it’s difficult as I don’t recall what type of cage this is and or if it would even fit. To add the corner grids are covered in damn poo so it’s hard to flush it out as it’s all clumped.

Sorry for the long reply but I wanted to make sure I could give as much information as possible. Additionally I am trying to get a C&C cage but it’s really expensive for me personally.

Idk if you guys can see all the fly dump on my closet doors, I’ve been trying to clean it off and it’s like as if it’s imbedded into the doors also the jar for those who are curious is just some fruit and banana peels that the flies love, it did something but not much lmfao

Attachments

image.jpg
A temporary cage/setup is not really necessary – it was just an idea.

The main thing is to get the cage thoroughly cleaned, and then make sure it is completely cleared of poop and soiled litter at least once a day, for a few days running. And throw out the stuff immediately. This will break the breeding cycle of the flies.

I don’t think the adult flies live long, maybe 24 hours, but during that time they are prolific in laying new eggs in the poop which hatch and develop very quickly.

I’m not sure if the type of litter matters for these particular flies. Some people say cedar litter may cause respiratory problems in g-pigs, though I doubt short term use would hurt much.

Also, fleece is not really necessary. A lot of people use it as a cage liner instead of litter. I use quilted cotton for that, though I made some little fleece blankets for my friends out of this type:

https://www.joann.com/fabric/fleece-fabric/blizzard-fleece-fabric/

Folded, it makes a soft bed – scrunched up, a place to hide. It also lasts forever. Never had trouble with the pigs nibbling on it.

Really hope that the cleaning routine will fix your fly problem as quickly as it did mine!

I buy fleece by the yard at Joann Fabric and Crafts. They usually have a sale or they have remnants that are a nice price. I get the anti-pill plush. It’s thicker and smoother than the blizzard fleece, so it washes well and the hay and hair don’t stick as much.

As far as a C&C cage, they are a great design. Mine is a homemade grid cage with a wood frame base. I lined the base with fabric from a waterproof mattress cover so the wood never gets wet. Then I have a layer of washable incontinence pads and cover the whole thing with fleece. The grid cage fits over the fleece inside the frame so no burrowing.

If you can’t get fleece maybe bath mats are an option. I use these

I use a laundry bag for pets to wash them in to keep the washing machine clean.

Update: I moved the cage to clean uh

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
I am disgusted, as I am cleaning I came across LARVAE. I don’t know what to do.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg
I swear it’s only been 4 days of not cleaning the cage and this happens, can someone try and explain how this happened??? Big flies recently got into the house and have been in the cage so I’m wondering if it was them. Also I just got done cleaning and they’re back in the cage, I am not sure what else to do.

Have you contacted a pest control company??

Can't hurt to try contacting one. They certainly set traps/spray for them when I worked in food service.

The flies I had were smaller than regular flies. At first I thought they were fruit flies, about that size but shaped more like regular flies, just a lot smaller.

If yours are the same, you won't see improvement until the poop and soiled litter are cleaned out daily for two or three days running.

Any larvae, I would bag up with the discarded litter and poop, then seal the bag and get it out of your home. All the larvae you remove won't become new flies. Removing the poop deprives the live flies of a place to lay their eggs.

From the internet, dousing the larvae with vinegar will kill them but it takes a few hours to work. The main thing is just to get rid of them.

Again, this worked for me and I'm assuming your flies are the same or have a similar life cycle.

The flies I had were smaller than regular flies. At first I thought they were fruit flies, about that size but shaped more like regular flies, just a lot smaller.

If yours are the same, you won't see improvement until the poop and soiled litter are cleaned out daily for two or three days running.

Any larvae, I would bag up with the discarded litter and poop, then seal the bag and get it out of your home. All the larvae you remove won't become new flies. Removing the poop deprives the live flies of a place to lay their eggs.

From the internet, dousing the larvae with vinegar will kill them but it takes a few hours to work. The main thing is just to get rid of them.

Again, this worked for me and I'm assuming your flies are the same or have a similar life cycle.
The adult flies do not live long, perhaps about a day. They'll die off quickly on their own. By removing the larvae and egg-laying medium (the poop and soiled litter) every day for a few days, no new flies will have a chance to develop.

Best I understand, the life cycle of these pests goes really fast - a couple of days from egg to adult fly.

I believe they’re the same but I’ve never seen larvae in the cage before when I was cleaning until now. The larvae inside the cage was discarded into the trash (outside). To my suspicion it was probably from the house flies since they’ve been snooping in the cage lately. First for everything lmao, there were also ants? I’m going to get ant bait/traps tomorrow. For me that just seemed like too much, fruit flies, adult flies, ants and then the larvae; it was like a damn petting zoo I swear.

Any tips for what I should do outside my room? They’re currently invading the kitchen and eating my moms cupcakes (even when covered).

Could the adult flies just be going from your room into the kitchen, perhaps attracted to sugar?

The best advice I can give, is follow the daily cage cleaning routine and see what happens. If the flies all die off within a few days, then you're good. If they have mostly died off in your room, but are still in the kitchen, then there may be another source of infestation.

In the meantime, flypaper strips in the kitchen might help. You can also check if any piggy poops have found their way into the other room(s). (In my place, they do seem to get around.)

Once I started cleaning out my pig's cage every day, by the end of the third or fourth day, all the adult flies had died. I continued daily cleaning for about seven days, just to make sure I'd gotten rid of all the eggs and larvae. After that, I changed the cage about once or twice a week and the flies have never returned. This happened over twelve years ago.

My advice assumes that the only suitable place for the flies to lay their eggs is related to the guinea pigs -- that is, in their droppings and soiled litter. That was the case in my infestation.

If the flies persist beyond a week, could there be any other source of poop? Other pets? A possible rodent infestation? Could new flies be getting in through windows? Could the kitchen flies be a different type, such as the drain flies someone suggested previously?

At that point, it might be good to get an exterminator's assessment. In my experience, they will check out a situation for free, only charging if you hire them for treatment. You or your mom could ask about that up front.

But I do encourage you to try the cage changings first. For me, within a few days, the awful flies were simply gone.

I really feel for what you're going through because I've been there. Post if you have more questions, and keep us updated. Again, good luck!

That picture with the glove… you are not cleaning often enough if that is whats inside the cage! Disgusting, even on my worst depression days I have not let my cage get that dirty.
I feel sorry for the piggies if they have to live in their own feces like that.

You need to start doing daily spot cleaning at least. Remove the wet stuff and poop piles and soiled hay. If this is not your routine, even if you get the current fly invasion under controle, they will be back in no time.

If that is too much for you to do, then the piggies might really be better of somewhere else.

I switched to fleece and now bath mats because it makes the daily cleanup so much easier and it is so much less messy. Point is, daily (spot) cleaning is required, no matter what bedding you have. Some bedding is just much easier and quicker to spot clean than others.

That picture with the glove… you are not cleaning often enough if that is whats inside the cage! Disgusting, even on my worst depression days I have not let my cage get that dirty.

You need to start doing daily spot cleaning at least. Remove the wet stuff and poop piles and soiled hay. If this is not your routine, even if you get the current fly invasion under controle, they will be back in no time.

If that is too much for you to do, then the piggies might really be better of somewhere else.

I switched to fleece and now bath mats because it makes the daily cleanup so much easier and it is so much less messy. Point is, daily (spot) cleaning is required, no matter what bedding you have. Some bedding is just much easier and quicker to spot clean than others.
Again, that was only 4 days of not cleaning because I was busy with fly swatting. Yes at the end of the day it falls on me but I do not usually let it go that for. The cage is now clean and I am currently cleaning it out once again.

I’m happy to say there were only 2 flies in my room when I got up, i wouldn’t doubt if there is some of their droppings in the other rooms which I’ll have to check, if anything I’ll just vacuum each and every room. I am currently cleaning the cage and will update again tomorrow about the situation. Thank you :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.