Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Still itchy one week after using Revolution

Cissnei

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has been scratching himself slightly since I got him so at first I didn't pay much attention until one day after he got desexed, he ripped some larger wounds on his back near his neck. I took him to a vet immediately that day (Monday) and they couldn't find mites in skin test but they treated him for mites cause it looked most likely. They injected him with Ivermectin and send us home. Two days later (Wednesday), the symptom got worse and I took him back to the clinic, and the vet give him 2 drops of revolution cause they think they didn't get enough Ivermectin into his system due to struggling.
After that, he still didn't get better so I took him to another vet specialize in exotic animals (Thursday). The doctor also suspect mite even though the skin test failed to show any sign of mites again. This time the doctor suggest me to wait for 2 days to give him a shampoo which may help the itchyness and more revolution after that (Sunday).
Now is one week after I gave him the revolution. I bandaged him during the week so that he didn't further scratch himself and it worked. The wounds healed up, he looked happier, and the flakes on his skin gone.
After I bathed him again today, I tried to remove the bandage to see how it goes. However, he scratched himself again. Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Should I suspect causes other than mites?

Btw, he looks quite healthy apart from this, eating and drinking well, no problem in poops and pee, no major hair loss, only 1 or 2 really small areas.

Last edited:
Ferb & Penny's vet said to bleach their cage one day after applying the revolution. Bathing actually makes the pain and itching from the mites worse so I'm surprised the vet said to do that. I would treat with revolution again, bleach the cage (rinse well to make sure all the bleach is gone) and see how he does. Revolution is supposed to stop the itchiness pretty quickly.

Ferb & Penny's vet said to bleach their cage one day after applying the revolution. Bathing actually makes the pain and itching from the mites worse so I'm surprised the vet said to do that. I would treat with revolution again, bleach the cage (rinse well to make sure all the bleach is gone) and see how he does. Revolution is supposed to stop the itchiness pretty quickly.

Will I overdose him if I use revolution again now ?

My vet gave me revolution for a lice infestation on my girls and said to dose them every 2 weeks but I was then told on here 10 days don't know if it's different for mites tho

How long has it been since you last used the revolution? I think it's supposed to work for a month, if you haven't already done so read the info on guinealynx: https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html#revolution

Last time I gave him revolution was 04 May. I am thinking to give him 3 drops today again, and bleach the whole cage. I am start to think whether is the bandage that makes him uncomfortable, but without one, he is scratching like crazy.

He may need a steroid to calm down the itching. You could ask your vet about that. Until you can get there, you could rub him gently with cold pressed virgin coconut oil -- it has some healing properties, and may help alleviate the itching.

I wouldn't bathe him at all -- that often makes pigs with mites much more uncomfortable than they were before.

It's not unusual for itching to get worse before it gets better. I think of it as the death throes of the mites.

FYI, testing pigs for mites is useless. It hurts the pig, costs you money, is wrong half the time (misses the mites when they're actually there), and the treatment is exactly the same as if you hadn't had the test done -- they treat the pig for mites.

If he hasn't improved after all this time on ivermectin and Revolution, it may be fungal or bacterial. You can treat a fungus with Monistat or Nystatin cream, or a bacterial infection with triple antibiotic. Just put a very small amount on with a q-tip and rub it in well -- you don't want him to ingest the medicine.

cold pressed virgin coconut oil
Is it cosmetic or food oil?
It can be used for bumble feed as well right?

Bumble feed?

cold pressed virgin coconut oil
Is it cosmetic or food oil?
It can be used for bumble feed as well right?
Bumble foot? Yes I believe you can use Cold Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil for bumble foot

After the revolution for 1 week now, he's obvious skill itchy on his lower back. Most the wounds healed up and the fur is getting back. However, every time he was left without the bandage for a little while, he will just scratch himself again. Other than that, he looked perfectly normal, no hair loss and gaining the weight back. But every time I scratch on the place where used to be his biggest wound, he looks really itchy and will start to scratch.

I am bringing him back to vet this coming Saturday, is there anything I should suspect first? any test I should ask the Doctor to run? Is it possible it's just because the remove of the bandage makes him irritated?

Thanks

He may need a steroid to calm down the itching. You could ask your vet about that. Until you can get there, you could rub him gently with cold pressed virgin coconut oil -- it has some healing properties, and may help alleviate the itching.

I wouldn't bathe him at all -- that often makes pigs with mites much more uncomfortable than they were before.

It's not unusual for itching to get worse before it gets better. I think of it as the death throes of the mites.

FYI, testing pigs for mites is useless. It hurts the pig, costs you money, is wrong half the time (misses the mites when they're actually there), and the treatment is exactly the same as if you hadn't had the test done -- they treat the pig for mites.

If he hasn't improved after all this time on ivermectin and Revolution, it may be fungal or bacterial. You can treat a fungus with Monistat or Nystatin cream, or a bacterial infection with triple antibiotic. Just put a very small amount on with a q-tip and rub it in well -- you don't want him to ingest the medicine.

Thank God my baby finally recovered from the mites and, yes, even with all the struggle, he was suffer from mites. Thanks everyone who helped me through this process here! Your advice helped a lot. I'm just here to share some of my experience hopefully can help other people as well.

1. As soon as your baby have uneven skin or a bit scratch, give him revolution straight away.
2. For Guinea pig that is more than 5 or 6 months, which should be around 700 grams, give them half tube of the revolution (for animals up to 25kg), some times a whole tube. And sometimes, one tube won't get the job done. My baby took 3 tubes of the revolution during 1 month.
3. Bandage helped a lot. Just buy some human bandage from pharmacy, and wrap it around your baby's belly or chest, even it can't cover all the scratch wounds, it acts like a obstruct that your baby won't be able to bend over and scratch himself as hard. (change the bandage everyday!) Feeding him while you are bandaging him, this helps you make him keep still and you can see whether you make it too tight that he can't eat and breath.
4. Don't bath them even my vet told me to. Bath really make it worse for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.