Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pregnancy Guinea Pig Still Pregnant after 79 days

cavy_dad

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone,

I have a pregnant sow I got April 18. I don't breed, she was pregnant when I got her. Today is day 79 since I got her and she has still not delivered. April 18 is the last day she could've possibly been with a male.

I also have another pregnant sow I got April 24 (73 days ago) who has also not delivered yet.

They're both under 8 months. Probably no older than 6 months.

I've been questioning if they're even pregnant at this point, but they must be because I've recorded several videos of pup movement and they look pregnant and ready to pop. They both put on a lot of weight really fast and look pregnant. They're eating, drinking, poops look normal. Sleeping a bit more, but still pretty active.

Has anyone ever heard of pregnancies lasting this long? Should I get them into the vet?

If they're THAT pregnant, you can certainly hear teeth gnashing and feel the pups kicking.

Watching pup movement isn't as reliable, because gas moving in the stomach can also cause the sides to move, and the movement looks very similar.

GP pregnancies last about 9 weeks at the most, so I'd certainly question whether the first is pregnant at all. The second might be, but unless you can hear the pups, I'd doubt it.

Here's a video I took today of the 79 day "pregnant" sow's stomach moving. Her stomach has been swollen and moving like this for around 2-3 weeks now, or at least that's how long it's been since I noticed the movement and her getting rounder.

Here's a video I took about a week ago of the movement. I hope this link is okay. I wasn't sure how to go about sharing videos here.

(link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a (long) video I took today. The movement isn't as noticeable here, but I see at least once on her right side and at least three times on her left.

(link removed, no longer availalbe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you feel anything that feels like feet kicking? Can you hear teeth gnashing?

Both videos look like breathing to me.

Can you put them on a light colored surface and take a picture from straight overhead?

Is this video still available or has it been removed from public view? It's not working for me at this time.

I don't know, but it's so old that if the pig was pregnant, which I doubt, she's already delivered.

Thank you for the responses. Neither of them ended up being pregnant and both are well. I think the movement I kept seeing was just their breathing, or maybe gas. One is an abyssinian and her fur gives the illusion of a pregnant belly too.

All is well though! Thank you!

Okay. I'm going to remove the links that don't work. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.