Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Sow intros not going well :(

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
@glitterfae77
I would suggest trying at least one intro for your piggy with a nice, friendly pig (talk to the shelter-- they will (hopefully) know which piggies are more submissive and likely to get along with others better, and if it doesn't go well, hopefully they'll be willing to take the piggy back). If it goes badly, then you have proof that your piggy prefers to be by herself. But, in all likelihood, it could go smoothly, and then both of you would have a new furry friend.
As someone previously mentioned, the reason you see so many "horror stories" is because people are more likely to talk about them because they're asking for help.
I will be the first to admit that I'm not a piggy expert, nor have I had a ton of experience, but I have done 3 different piggy intros (all with sows). They've all happened with no more than some rumble strutting and nosing off, if that, and they all eventually bonded to each other (some more than others, but they did bond). I know I see so much more of my piggies' personalities and behaviors as they interact with each other than I ever would have seen if they were loners.
My point is this: For every "horror story" you read, there are probably 5 stories of intros that went without a hitch and the piggies became the best of friends. So don't be afraid to at least try. :)

Sabrina Clayton

Cavy Slave
I know I'm going to get crucified for this but I don't understand why everyone swears guinea pigs do better in pairs or groups then I continue to read stories about them not getting along, needing to separate them etc.

And yes, I only have one guinea pig. Every time I consider getting her a friend I read yet another intro horror story which convinces me otherwise.

I know what you mean... I was in the same boat, but I just couldn't stand the thought of my piggy being lonely! The horror stories had me a nervous wreck thinking about introductions, and I'm sure my story isn't the norm either, but your pig deserves the effort! My boyfriend and I met up with a local woman who rescues pigs off Craigslist. We brought our pig to her house and he got to meet a few different pigs that she thought had personalities that would match his own. We ended up finding one he obviously really clicked with and we haven't had any issues with them at all. They love each other so much and our first pig is visibly sooooooo much happier after being alone with us for over a month.

I highly recommend searching, searching, searching and trying to find a situation where you're able to let them meet and see how they interact before sealing the deal. Or, like the woman we got our little pig from, someone who is completely willing to take the pig back if things don't work out. You won't regret it when you see how happy your pig is :)

VictoriaG

Cavy Slave
Just because it's safe for infants doesn't mean it's safe for guinea pigs. They're respiratory systems are so delicate.

Clearly you did not read the link I posted.. is says that it is NOT safe for infants, that's why I said it backed up what the other poster had said.

I agree that tone is hard to read in writing, I think because I go on other forums where tone is not hostile it makes it more prominent here. I think one thing that should be thought of is that the people who are using forums are here because they DO CARE and that's why they are seeking the advice of others and people with more experience. I think it's safe to say that with the exception of a tiny minority everyone on this forum cares about guinea pigs or they wouldn't have bothered seeking advice in the firs place.

VictoriaG

Cavy Slave
A good way to get rid of their scent, making intros easier is a buddy bath with a safe guinea pig shampoo.

Thanks, yes already done as I had mentioned in the initial post :).

VictoriaG

Cavy Slave
@glitterfae77
I would suggest trying at least one intro for your piggy with a nice, friendly pig (talk to the shelter-- they will (hopefully) know which piggies are more submissive and likely to get along with others better, and if it doesn't go well, hopefully they'll be willing to take the piggy back). If it goes badly, then you have proof that your piggy prefers to be by herself. But, in all likelihood, it could go smoothly, and then both of you would have a new furry friend.
As someone previously mentioned, the reason you see so many "horror stories" is because people are more likely to talk about them because they're asking for help.
I will be the first to admit that I'm not a piggy expert, nor have I had a ton of experience, but I have done 3 different piggy intros (all with sows). They've all happened with no more than some rumble strutting and nosing off, if that, and they all eventually bonded to each other (some more than others, but they did bond). I know I see so much more of my piggies' personalities and behaviors as they interact with each other than I ever would have seen if they were loners.
My point is this: For every "horror story" you read, there are probably 5 stories of intros that went without a hitch and the piggies became the best of friends. So don't be afraid to at least try. :)

Thanks princessPiggy, if you read the full thread you will see that persistence paid off and my three girls are now together! :)

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My appoligies, I read wrong.

If you think someone is being hostile, you should report the post. That's much more effective.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.