Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sometimes I think i should just smile, nod and walk away.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
Anyone else have trouble like me at NOT voicing their stance on breeders, breeding and animal rights to Family and Family friends who you KNOW arent going to listen?

God himself could come down and tell my neighbors all the dangers of Cavy breeding and the neighbor would say " oh no thats not what i heard, see : blah blah blah blah"

I was slammed a week ago when i realized that Koi was pregnant. This is because Stupid in the moment little person i was, I bought from the pet store instead of adopting. I didnt show my face on here for a while because of that...Yeah. I suck.

Anyway I was absolutely mizerable since ive read so much about the dangers of breeding and the possibilities of bad adopters and so on and so forth and ive learned my lesson in full. But my neighbors had recently gotten two piggies from a breeder. And they were determined to breed them.
When i first heard thier plans I was soft about what i said and tried not to be too pushy but to still suggest things like adoption instead. She( the mom next door) said she wouldnt want to do that because she wanted to have a piggy family.

Psh.. guess shes never heard of a family not connected by bloodline.
Still, I didnt want to make war with our neighbors, as they were pretty friendly and invited us to block parties and stuff. I was just trying to keep the peace.

Well now a few months later she asked me to come over and feel Keoni( the girl pig) to see if i could tell if she was pregnant. I couldnt tell but i couldnt handle being totaly quiet and i asked her a few questions about what shed do with the babies and if shed be makeing sure the adopters wouldnt breed them. She basicly told me shed make sure they could pay for their care and that thier children would be old enough to take care of them (her version of old enough, is 7 years old).
I challenged her again saying "yeah thats important but what about the people who might want babies too?"
She made a pause for a moment and i could see she was irritated and then she told me that shed take it case by case.

When her son was asking if she was pregnant the mom told him we still didnt know and he said he was excited. I said " Yeah its exciting i guess, but i was miserable when i found out about Koi being pregnant. They have about a 20% chanc of dieing because of the pregnancys you know...thats one out of five sows." (yeah, you can tell ive read these sites too much...<3)
She looked intimidated again and told me all about other thinsg shed heard and that teh mortality rate wasnt nearly that high and that it was all depentdant on age and since our piggies were young they would definitely have easy pregnancies. She gave me all this talk about how much she knew about it.

On the way out I questioned why shed want more piggies and she told me all the stuff about how she wanted to know thier nutritional history (yeah, my ass) and how she wanted tohave an immediate family and that this was the best way because breeders pigs are more healthy and youll know thier bloodline. And that if she got them from an adoption place that she could gte ones who didnt know what vegitables they should eat and would get sick.
I answered " Isnt that a bit like adopting but only picking the heartiest and letting the ones with a cold die?"
She got pretty offended with that and told me for at least 10 minutes all about how she had worked with children with disabilities and cared for invalids and knew all about this and then told me about how her life was just to human devouted right now to focus on possibly unhealthy animals or adopting. This made me think: "If you dont have time to take care of anything but people right now, why are you haveing babies?"
But i just said " I dont know, I just dont understand why youd want to make more piggies when there are so many out there already homeless."

Eventually she stopped and finally said " Well im SORRY you cant Understand." And opened the door for me with her face tight. you know, the kind of face you make when your trying to be polite when you want to just flick someone off.

I left and almost started crying when i went outside. I dont know how an equation can be so hard as this?

Your life + Piggies + makeing more piggies= the deaths of as many piggies as you make.

*sigh* Ive probably ruined the relationships between our faimilies. That woman isnt someone whos open to learning. A normal person can say something and then someone else tell them a few facts and theyll say "hmm, i guess your right" or "oh well maybe i was mistaken" but this woman is NO.

It dosent matter what you say. You could say you have a flesh eating worm in your leg and it hurt and shed inform you on the hirstory of flesh eating worms and how it dosent hurt because of blah blah blah and blah.

*sigh* I guess i should have just let HER go since I already know she cares not what anyoen else says.

Smudger

Cavy Slave
Well done. I mean it, too.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Gosh.... what an ignorant, selfish woman.

If you are like 🇲🇪, shy, not really open to adults like HER(BUT I'm getting better!! I've already talked back to an adult about it, and told her she needed to either keep them or find good homes before she had babies and NOT sell to a pet shop... she asked me about it...), I would definately write a letter. A LONG one. About pregnancy, and mostly about the cause of breeding.
I was an ignorant, little child way back when when I was 11... sort of like her. I didn't really pay attention to my pigs health and what "sex" they were... Male and female... I let them breed, they had about 15 babies from Ruby and her kids... I could have ADOPTED 15 pigs and saved that many more, but I was stupid, just so, so stupid. I just killed 15 pigs that could have been saved, so I have to live with that guilt. Luckily, none of the girls died, but RJ almost did.
Tell her in a letter(if you send on) about some stories, there are some on Guinealynx(A GREAT one is somewhere here.... I'll find it soon...), Cavycages... Tell her that when you bring more into life, more are put down because she didn't go out and adopt them, instead bred them.
Inform her, or BANG it into her head about the possible deformities, problems during pregnancy. Breeder pigs/ pet store pigs are usually not healthy, while shelter pigs are ALWAYS healthy, unless a birth defect that you have to treat everyday. Breeders couldn't give a whoop about the pigs, but shelters devote every waking minute(well... almost) they have to take care of the animals, having a good diet, making sure they are healthy. Usually, when you buy from a breeder, the pigs are crossed... Blood lines crossed, ect. She would need a FULL family tree to make sure they aren't crossed.
Then pregnancy toxemia. If she really wants to risk it, to hell with her. The mum will need a large place, stress free, to exersize, such as cavycages. She has to have the right diet of top line pellets (or Mazuri, they're OK), alfalfa/timothy/bluegrass hay, fresh water daily, weekly cage cleanings, and vet check ups to make sure the pregnancy is going OK. It gets pricey with pregnant pigs (especially, because there are so many cautions that you have to take), and it's very unnecessary. Why not get a healthy, lonely, homeless pig that is spayed/neutered so you don't contribute to the pet overpopulation, only help it?
I'd definately send her a letter, since she obviously dosen't want to hear it face-to-face. Good job Setsuna, that you told her that, even though she was ignorant about it!

ps. We've missed you! Have noticed you haven't been on for a while. And I forgive you for getting Koi... sometimes temptation over takes us.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
*sigh* Ive probably ruined the relationships between our faimilies. That woman isnt someone whos open to learning. A normal person can say something and then someone else tell them a few facts and theyll say "hmm, i guess your right" or "oh well maybe i was mistaken" but this woman is NO.
If she is thick enough to let her ignorance destroy the relationship between your families, then she's just... thick. It's her fault, not yours. YOU were being mature about it.

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
This is because Stupid in the moment little person i was, I bought from the pet store instead of adopting. I didnt show my face on here for a while because of that...Yeah. I suck.
That's okay that you got a guinea pig from a pet store. I HAD to get mine from a pet store, our local shelter basically NEVER has guinea pigs.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Did you give her the address of this site? Or guinealynx? She should have a look!!

I understand how you feel though. I'm pretty shy too. Luckily I haven't had to confront any friends or neighbours about it though. We did have a lady who tried to push a jack russell puppy on us though. :/

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
I did tell her about Cavy cages and Cavy Spirit and Guinea lynx too. She refuses to hear of it. And when i tried talking to her husband, who's the computer geek of the family, he said he HAD been to cavy cages and that was were "I got the idea to make thier cage with cubes"-quote -_-

Apparently he didnt read past the cage structure page because thier cage is way way small 2x3 for two piggies.

I really have tried more times than this to teach them a little more but this couple just wont stand to be corrected. They listen to the optimistic breeders who tell them all about how the mortality rate is low and so on and so forth. When she was justifying buying from a breeder she told me all about how the breeder was good and loved those piggies and how she hadnt sold very many pigs before and that she had pictures of them in her house AND that she showed them off at shows. Dx apparently she thinks shows are a loving way of declareing piggy love. The only thing that woman loves is complete dominance. And a minion of course.

Unfortunately ive had to deal with a lot of neighbors and friends about it. Partially because Animal righst is one of those things im Waaaayyyy toooo rightous about (right up there with other things like hate crimes and pro-life) so im always makeing it my buisness to find out what people are doing for thier animals. @_@;

It sounds nice but it hasnt worked out very well for my social life *laughs*

Lindseysboys: It really Isnt OK that i did it because when i adopted before id had my mom drive me 4 hours back and forth to get them and therefore it meant i had no real excuse not to do it again. What i did was very shallow. =_= When we can we should make every effort to do things the right way. I didnt. I "fudged" it, as they say. I suck.

dont you love how well i bash myself up? heh.

I hope i dont end up paying for it any more than i have with Koi being pregnant. if she dies or something i dont know what ill do...

But yeah, again, I also have more trounbel with confrontation since i for some reason i have a lot of friends who work or worked at pet stores. Somehow they think that working there automatically means they know what every animal needs.
Petstore job=certified vetranarian? I think not.

FurryCritters
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Setsuna said:
I don't think you've ruined the relationship between your families. Someone who is not open to listening and learning in any way would have broken the friendship at some other time. That person only wants people who live in total agreement with themselves. Trust me, its not worth it to have a friend that you must tip toe around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.