Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding How to tell if birth is coming soon?

Nikkivikki87

Cavy Gazer
I took in a guinea pig about a month ago. After finally introducing her to the other females I have I noticed she was getting fatter almost daily. Which didn't take much to figure out they got rid of her because of her being pregnant. I think she is to deliver within the next few weeks but I wanted to try narrowing it down so I could be with her hopefully. She is a teddy but with her size and the stretching it almost looks like she has bald spots but mostly because she has a baby sitting on each side. Hers how she is now she mostly just lays down right next to her food and water so she doesn't have to walk around to much. Because of her fur is stretched it makes noticing movement easier. Lately on to of just movement you can see their little body parts push out her size. Also she has a lot of teeth chattering which makes me think is has 2 or 3 babies. A few weeks ago she was very playful with her new cage mate not so much now but not in a mean way. I she is soon but I'm trying to figure out if it's the next few days or more then a week since nothing I could find give very little info if it's really close or still a while a way? Any help would be great

They'll come when they come. Unfortunately, there's no way to know.

However, if you're hearing teeth chattering, birth is close -- could be two days, could be 10.

She'll likely give birth without your help, and unless you want to sit by the cage until the pups come, you may miss it. Just keep an eye on her to make sure she actually delivers once she goes into labor.

Is the cage large enough for all the pigs? A crowded cage is an almost certain guarantee of getting the pups' ear nibbled. If there's enough room, the other sows will help with the pups and you don't need to take her out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.