Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression So Frustrated! Guinea pig "bullying"?

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
So we have had our 3 female guinea pigs together in a big cage for over 2 years now (it's a 2x5 C&C cage with a loft, so plenty of room). They are on fleece, which I keep clean - constant fresh hay, veggies and limited pellets daily, etc.

There have always been random instances where for a day or so, one goes a little nuts on the other ones (like during their "season"). However, one of them (Sausage) has started to bully the other (Seven) relentlessly! She's constantly chasing her, mounting her (literally climbing on her back!), and Seven just either runs away or takes it! (She's definitely submissive, and rarely fights back). Sometimes she even goes right up to Sausage, even though she knows what's going to happen...

But the sounds coming from the cage are just awful. Squealing, screeching, high pitched sounds from Seven.... This has been happening way too often lately! As I type message on my computer, I can hear the commotion over there!! For the record: nothing has changed. No new food or hay or any changes in environment. Nothing new with us in the house, same pets, same atmosphere, same everything!

We separated them for a little while this evening (a couple of hours), but within minutes of getting them back together, Sausage was at it again.

suggestions??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take Sausage to the vet to be examined for ovarian cysts. Excessive hormonal behavior can be caused by those cysts. Possible treatments, if she has them, are either hormone injections or spaying.

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.