Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Single poops getting stuck in perineal sac, is this impaction?

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

I have a 1 year 9 month old boar, Paxil. He's a big peeg, a little over 2 lbs, and kinda... lazy. Ever since his adoption I noticed he's never really liked jumping or climbing on things like the other peegs do -- like, Zoloft will go ontop of the fiddle sticks tunnel, etc, but Paxil absolutely HATES being up on-top of something, and never climbs on anything. Perhaps he's scared of heights?

Anyway, over the course of the past 2 months, Paxil's been having some odd poop issues, mainly that just about every other day, I will find either a solid poop in his anal sac, or a softer poop (not diarrhea, but not a solid poop, if that makes sense) mushed in his anal sac. For whatever reason, it's always just one poop, and he has plenty of other normal ones in the cage that he's ejected normally.

I increased his floor time to see if perhaps he just wasn't working out his butt muscles, but again, he's pretty lazy normally, so it really didn't make a difference. I also restricted his diet to more 'solid' foods, like peppers, and no watery foods, like tomatoes, but this hasn't made a difference either. And in the past 2 weeks, along with cleaning out the anal sac, I've taken to using mineral oil to help lubricate the area in hopes that will do something, like maybe his poops just are getting stuck on their way out? But it's still happening... so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now. I don't know that it's impaction, because it's only ever just one single poop (which is odd in itself), and it's in the perineal sac, not the rectum. He never eats the stuff that's cleaned out, so it's not his caecal poops that are getting stuck. He's also still really young, but seems a little predisposed to developing worse since he doesn't like climbing and is pretty lazy.

What should I do? Anyone have any tips? Should I try something else, or am I doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
It's not impaction, that's when they get backed up in the rectum. He could be storing them there to eat later? Our big boy, Roger, has a large perineal sac and tends to have the same problem that your talking about. I'm lucky in the fact that Roger likes having his "spa days" and acts like he doesn't have a care in the world when I have to clean him.

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
It's not impaction, that's when they get backed up in the rectum. He could be storing them there to eat later? Our big boy, Roger, has a large perineal sac and tends to have the same problem that your talking about. I'm lucky in the fact that Roger likes having his "spa days" and acts like he doesn't have a care in the world when I have to clean him.

That's what I figured! Yeah, he's a biiiig boy with a biiiig sac haha. I've never heard of them storing poop! But who knows.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is the odd poop sort of greenish and smelly? If so, it's one of his cecal poops.

Have you offered it to him to eat to see if he'll take it?

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
@bpatters , Roger eats some of them when I offer them to him but others he acts as if I'm crazy to be offering him poo!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Can I ask why you are even checking out the sac so much?

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
Can I ask why you are even checking out the sac so much?

I get alerted to it when I can feel something in it, and also because sometimes he has a mess of poop all in the area and I find it when cleaning him up.

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
Is the odd poop sort of greenish and smelly? If so, it's one of his cecal poops.

Have you offered it to him to eat to see if he'll take it?

Yep! Sometimes it's his cecal pellets and he eats those right away, other times he won't me they're his regular poops.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
This thread totally made me LOL! If I didn't have boars I'd probably think you all were crazy! I haven't noticed any poops getting in there. I do however have to clean all of my boys quite regularly. They like to scent mark, which leads to a bunch of gunk getting backed up in there. It gets smelly and disgusting!

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
I try not to clean them down there that often, but for Paxil I have to do it almost daily due to the poops getting stuck/mushing up in there. It's gross, but idk what else to do. I use mineral oil in hopes that it'll help stuff not stick, but it doesn't really seem to have an effect. =/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.